LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 piggyback/standalone

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 10:00 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Big part of the 1UZ is the stock programming that went into them. Outside of the luxo segment you can build to your heart's and wallets content. There are various builds on YT showing what others have done. In as much using the LS400, it is territory not seen often.

Let's be respectful of our members here. We have differing views but the bottom line is we all share a common like for this chassis. Be that stock or builds that are new.
Old 01-26-14, 01:22 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
the LS400 is not a good car to build into high performance - it is very ECU-dependent and the ECU programming has never been cracked, therefore you can't really "chip-it" and the piggybacks don't do much and so they are not much help either, the only one that works even somewhat decent is way over $1000 (MINES) - you want to choose something else, like a camaro or mustang or Nissan GT-R if you want performance.
like I said, the factory ECU is locked up solid, you can adjust nothing, and the only piggyback that does much of anything is the MiNES and it is close to $2000 the last time I checked, and doesn't work miracles even then.

The LS400 is a LUXURY car - not a performance car! (and as long as the ECU encryption is never cracked, it will always stay a luxury car, and a NICE ONE!)
if you want to performance build a 1UZ and put it into a race car, fine, just hire a computer engineering staff to design an ECU for your race car like the F1 teams do, I would think about $10 million should cover it
MiNES is a Japanese piggyback, and the only one that works worth a flip! - and even it doesn't do miracles, as a matter of fact, it's a huge amount of money for a very modest return on horsepower and torque improvement - the LS400 is just not a car to "build" - it's just a very classy, very reliable, very luxurious, very refined ride, to take your gal to the beach in!
Tuning is much more feasible on other brands of cars (like Honda, for example) where the original programming has been cracked and we can reprogram the original ECU and vary all sorts of stuff!
if you are modifying an LS400 for off road use, for example the race track, then you can use a standalone ECU, but the standalones are not going to be a good plan if the car is going to be driven daily, because the ECU also controls the transmission, the A/C, interacts with at least 11 other sub-ECU's that I have listed out before, and over 50 microprocessors throughout the car.

So repeating one more time, if the car is being built as race car with a rollcage and as a rather crude vehicle such as a drag racer, short track car, etc., then fine, put a standalone on it, but without the Toyota programming cracked, you are going to lose many functions of the rest of the car wholly or partially with an aftermarket standalone ECU. Not to mention all semblance of fuel economy or emissions compliance!

On other cars where the stock ECU can be reprogrammed (such as a Honda or a Camaro), you can have the best of both worlds, but sadly on LS400, you cannot.

LSCowboyLS exit this thread immediately. In the future if you feel the urge to pop into an obviously performance oriented thread to admonish everyone and go on about how the LS/xUZ engine was not meant to be modified, suppress it. That being said any on-topic advice or suggestions about how to modify/tune are always welcome and appreciated.

Both I and other moderators have asked you to this before, this is the last time I am going to.
Old 01-26-14, 01:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Now, back to the topic at hand. I have a mountain of parts that I'll be posting about later but for now, I urge you to look in the SC400 and 2nd gen GS400 forums, as there are numerous threads with most major AFC-type piggybacks and standalone systems with people posting decent gains.

Generally speaking, a vvt-i 1/3 UZ engine will pull in ~20-30hp peak (depending on mods), and more mid-range power and torque (across the rev range) from little more than a proper tune. Lexus/Toyota runs these engines quite rich so there is a fair bit of room to play with.

Top end power is only constrained by budget
Old 01-26-14, 09:38 PM
LSVIP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the input everyone! You guys are truly a help

As far as the build I'm going for, I just want to put a little zip to the 1U, perhaps a cam regrind with valves and springs, ported and polished heads and an exhaust system. As much as I would love boost

With that said, I've talked to a few people about the Megasquirt, though I was unaware of any custom wiring harnesses, thank you for the heads up on that!

You guys have been a considerable help!

Also, it's the first gen 1U, no VVTi ;D
Old 02-04-15, 11:19 AM
maz35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stand alone ecu for the lexus Sl400

Hi guys I've just been reading This thread on stand alone Ecu's for the 1uz.. Im sorry LScowboyLS but your wrong on so many levels ,we have found the 1uz v8 a very tuneable engine with a stand alone Ecu for on road and off road .. There is a guy over here in the Uk.. that is running one with a standard Ecu and in a truck weighting in at 2.1 tons it flies and the guys running them on the road that have had them tuned ...

Last edited by maz35; 02-04-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-07-15, 12:40 PM
700bones
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usoff89
Just to add to this ^^^^

The piggy back systems are very limited like he said. Most systems don't allow you to have control over timing where most stand alones do. The fact of the matter is that there are multiple options out for tuning our cars. And honestly the prices are not going to vary much from any other car if you were to do a serious setup.

Cowboy, you are right. These are NOT Hondas but they could become a popular car to mod in the future if we had the proper support. We all already know how solid the motors are. And parts will slowly become more and more available as the interest becomes greater.
Jesus flying christ, i'm sick of this uninformed statement. The fact is, if you really know what you're doing, it's not hard to reverse engineer the damn ECU! You have KNOWN I/O lines (and the protocols should NOT be hard to RE), you have reasonably KNOWN state conditions of the system which is being acted on (i.e. commands should cause system to operate within some parameters). Oh, and you also have the additional benefit of having a temporal constraint on the system, which reduces how complex the systems behavior can be (real time constraint reduces options on obfuscation, or really ANYTHING else).

Oh yeah, I forgot the constraint they would have on memory (primary and secondary) in the embedded system. That's another constraint that puts things in the reverse engineer's favor!
Old 08-07-15, 11:41 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Main problem there, is most people are not electronics engineers or can program at assembly level. I think the average person could use this product, I'm not advertising it I'm trying to show what it is.
It is cheap as compared to other systems.
Old 03-15-22, 10:39 PM
OnlinBirch
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking back at this thread years later, gotta say, Cowboy got ****ing DUNKED on.

But this threads been helpful on my hunt to modify my 95 LS400 (even if it is definitely partially outdated)
The following users liked this post:
sugon (11-27-22)