LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS400 Power Steering Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 12:15 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

better do it soon, I waited just a few weeks to get around to it, and it cost me an alternator!!
Old 02-18-14, 11:31 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
The PCV valve is very easy to do like LSCowboy Said, but just check the condition of the hose running to the intake and order another one if need be before getting started!

When i took mine off, the hose broke in half because it was totally dry rotted, and i had to ghetto rig it with generic PCV hose and a 90 degree plastic bend. Looked aweful, but held up until i got the new hose from Lexus. It's a rather tight bend and it won't clear the plastic engine cover if you have a 95 or up.
i have a '94 LS400 so hopefully its not a tight fit!!!
Old 02-18-14, 12:40 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

you dont drive a Ls400 unless you have a weird uncurible power steering leak!
Old 02-18-14, 01:46 PM
Michael
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Leak

Originally Posted by Stereorob
you dont drive a Ls400 unless you have a weird uncurible power steering leak!
I agree, all LS power steering leaks. I think it is a design flaw. I've had many other Toyota vehicles and PS pump never gave me trouble. It has something to do with V8 too hard on the PS pump & components, I think.

PS system is pressurized system so if you have a leak somewhere, that is the place it will leak. When you fix the leak, the next in line where the pressure is not holding will leak.
Old 02-18-14, 02:15 PM
Michael
Driver

Default PVC Replacement Tutorial

Originally Posted by aymaddemir
There are some oil leaks, if any one can give suggestion, how it occurs, and how to fix them, I am from Dubai.. And there mechanics are not well trained to do it, i have gone couples of time, but the problem is still there, so i want to diagnose and do it myself repaired if possible in home...

Anyone plz get me out of this misery, i fuchin' love my queen, cant see her in this situation...
Here is the link to pictured tutorial on how to replace PCV valve. Easy job.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html
Old 02-18-14, 02:53 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Michael

Here is the link to pictured tutorial on how to replace PCV valve. Easy job.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/pcv_valve.html
thanks, i needed this info!
Old 02-19-14, 10:09 AM
TaffyK20si
Driver

I recently repaired my power steering leak on my LS (and replaced a fried alternator). It turned out to be the tiny o-ring between the reservoir and the pump itself (replaced it and holding now). Also had a small leak coming from the pump side of the high pressure hose and the air control vein that you have pointed out in the third pic. I replaced the two crush washers on the high pressure hose and it is holding now. Read a DIY about the air control vein where you remove the threaded fitting from the pump, grind off the circular end, remove the vein from inside, weld up the end (grind / clean up the weld to be able to get a wrench on it in the future), toss the connector and hoses that run to your intake and intake manifold. This was fairly simple if you have access to a welder or someone that can help you weld it. I have been driving mine like this for 3 weeks with no leaks. Anybody else have experience with the air control vein mod?

Last edited by TaffyK20si; 02-19-14 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-19-14, 10:58 AM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
I recently repaired my power steering leak on my LS (and replaced a fried alternator). It turned out to be the tiny o-ring between the reservoir and the pump itself (replaced it and holding now). Also had a small leak coming from the pump side of the high pressure hose and the air control vein that you have pointed out in the third pic. I replaced the two crush washers on the high pressure hose and it is holding now. Read a DIY about the air control vein where you remove the threaded fitting from the pump, grind off the circular end, remove the vein from inside, weld up the end (grind / clean up the weld to be able to get a wrench on it in the future), toss the connector and hoses that run to your intake and intake manifold. This was fairly simple if you have access to a welder or someone that can help you weld it. I have been driving mine like this for 3 weeks with no leaks. Anybody else have experience with the air control vein mod?
yes i plugged my air control valve just as you described and my power steering level has no dropped and is NO LONGER LEAKING! my rack is leaking a little but not much to affect the level......PRAISE GOD!
Old 02-19-14, 11:04 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OMAHA
yes i plugged my air control valve just as you described and my power steering level has no dropped and is NO LONGER LEAKING! my rack is leaking a little but not much to affect the level......PRAISE GOD!
your rack is not leaking - it is one of the aforementioned leak areas (o-ring, crush washers, high pressure hose, etc.) and the fluid is working it's way down to the lowest point in the system, which is the bottom of your rack and giving the false impression of a rack leaking.

I have never actually seen an LS400 rack leak.
Old 02-19-14, 12:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
your rack is not leaking - it is one of the aforementioned leak areas (o-ring, crush washers, high pressure hose, etc.) and the fluid is working it's way down to the lowest point in the system, which is the bottom of your rack and giving the false impression of a rack leaking.

I have never actually seen an LS400 rack leak.
then you need to go look some more because they do leak, they're 2 ton cars with rack and pinions that are made out of rubber, metal, and plastic. They will leak eventually.

Omaha: if your boots are full of atf then the seals are gone. May leak externally but that's somewhat more rare.
Old 02-19-14, 04:36 PM
Aeok18109
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell im attempting to delete the ACV now. I removed the PS pump/red and alt from vehicle (92 LS). The Attempted to stuff a drainplug/bolt with same thread pitch as the acv itself. teflon taped the crap out of it but it doesnt get "tight" . dunno what to do. when i bought car the pump/res were already reman and it was a new alternator. im hoping it wasnt leaking on it too long. there is some residue on the shiny alt but with some brake clean/air gun hope to clean it all out and dried out.
Old 02-19-14, 05:02 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
then you need to go look some more because they do leak, they're 2 ton cars with rack and pinions that are made out of rubber, metal, and plastic. They will leak eventually.

Omaha: if your boots are full of atf then the seals are gone. May leak externally but that's somewhat more rare.
i just replaced the cam seals and crank seals.....are those the seals you mean? im not having any leaks right now, so far so good! I'm seeping leaks im sure, but not DROPPING LEAKS
Old 02-19-14, 05:09 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
A good precautionary measure is to buy the hose and grommet. All the heat exposure makes these once flexible fittings brittle so no sooner than you get it out, you'll find broken pieces of he grommet and a split hose.

Of course, don't do start this on a Saturday past 4 pm. Do it on a weekday early in the morning so that after your string of swear words, you call the dealer and hopefully find it is in stock for immediate pick-up.
i replaced the pcv valve and grommet today with the idea of not breaking the grommet into the valve....guess what? it happened.....lol.....but my needle nose pliers luckily fished out the piece and ALL IS WELL.! they are brittle so be cautious and patient, try to get a good grip on it and slowly work it out....
Old 02-19-14, 06:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by OMAHA
i just replaced the cam seals and crank seals.....are those the seals you mean? im not having any leaks right now, so far so good! I'm seeping leaks im sure, but not DROPPING LEAKS
....no....

I was referring to the seals inside the steering rack...
Old 02-19-14, 07:12 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

i replaced my rack boots a few months ago and now i see them leaking out with fluid. what's the fix? new rack?

Quick Reply: 96 LS400 Power Steering Fluid Leak