LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

List of repairs that go well together:

Old 01-11-14, 04:42 PM
Tortuga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael
I replaced following electrical components together at 92K miles. When you do change them together, you will notice the engine responsiveness right away in test drive:

Spark Plugs - every 70K miles interval
Plug Wires - every 80K miles interval
Caps and Rotors - every 30K miles interval

I do not know if Ignition Coils are recommended to replace in any interval miles or replacing would boost the power. Has anyone serviced ignition coils and know the recommended replacement miles?
I did spark plugs and wires @150k on my 97 LS right after I bought it and noticed no change really -- wires seemed original, the plugs had probably been replaced in a prior factory service since the car was well maintained at a dealer.

I haven't done the caps and rotors -- I'm going to do those with my timing belt.

Do the caps/rotors make a huge difference by themselves? If so, I might accelerate my timing belt job to get the benefits.
Old 01-11-14, 05:16 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed a significant difference with new caps and rotors. My LS also has over 300k miles and I don't know the repair history. The rotors looked terrible.
Old 01-11-14, 06:50 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael
Shmee,

100K miles intervals for Timing belt, Serpentine belt, Water Pump, spark Plugs and wires are something I can live with but don't you think the 100K mile interval for caps & rotors may be dangerous? This could be a showstopper which may require a towing service.

Do you have any comments about the coil(s) replacement?
I am in no way suggesting you should hold off replacing them until you do your water pump and timing belt, that's insane.

What I am saying that if you are doing your water pump and timing belt, there is a good chance your car probably ALSO needs plugs, caps, rotors and wires. You should be changing your plugs and wires every 40-50k miles, so that lines up almost perfectly with the 90-100k interval for the TB and WP service.
Caps and rotors are a wearable part so I check them regularly and replace as needed. About once a year I pop the caps off and have a look, maybe hit the contacts with a little emery cloth If there is minimal arcing and no burning or traces on the inside of the caps.

As far as the coils go, you can test them as per service manuals, generally the condition the car is kept in will usually determine the life of the coils. If the plugs, wires, caps and rotors are always kept in tip top condition then there is no extra work for the coils to generate the spark and they can last a long lone time assuming no preexisting issues are present. If the car is poorly kept and those parts are very deteriorated for long periods of time, coils have a much shorter life span.

If you want to replace them, there is no reason I can think of that would not do some good as far as routine maintenance, other than the obvious negative of the monetary cost of them.
Old 01-12-14, 11:55 AM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
It would depend in the condition of your engine. If you have zero sludge, deposits and run Dino but change your oil at shorter intervals then specified, then keeping the same filter should not be a problem.

One thing to be aware of, if you take your car to some "fast lube" place, a lot of them will remove your filter and put one of their tiny junk filters in the first time you go. If you go back for the next oil change, they often do not replace the filter, they just mark it with paint and just change the oil. This minimize their costs. It will get changed the next time you go in or go anywhere else. We have removed, marked filters, taken pictures, replaced the filters and then sent customers back to see if they replaced the filter. We even got the customers to ask to see the old filter, and maybe 7/10 times they would show the customer some other filter they probably pulled earlier that day, (sometimes they didn't even show the customer the filter that fit the car!) that did not have our markings on it. We did that to explain why customers should not be taking their cars to such places, and after that, they usually never did again! :lol:
The above is TOO true! Not only that, but when I was driving my old Integra, at one such place in Los Angeles, (EZ Lube) they stole my wheel cap (small thing, but expensive) on one wheel. Had to buy a new one for $35. When I showed them it was missing, they just said "Oh, it was like that when you brought it in"...