LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Planning 1000 mile trip. Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 08:29 AM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning 1000 mile trip. Advice needed

I am planning on driving to Dallas, TX from Kansas City, MO. I will be going with my wife and one of her friends. I would like the trip to be uneventful as far as the car goes. I have owned the car for a few months now, and haven't really had any issues minus a dead battery. I had the timing belt/water pump done 2 months ago, and the coolant was flushed and replaced with Toyota coolant. Also I had the valve cover gaskets replaced. So the car doesn't leak oil AFAIK. The transmission was also flushed at that time. That was with 138,000 miles on it. It has 140,000 on it now. Is there anything else I should be concerned about before making this trip? I would prefer to take the LS400 instead of my wife's friend Kia Sportage. The LS should ride a bit nicer and still get okay MPG.

Thoughts or advice for what I should before making the trip. My friend is a Lexus Mechanic and when it was in there for the TB/WP he said everything looked fine.
Old 12-16-13, 08:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Just check the oil every time you stop for fuel. Check the tire pressure and hit the road!

I drive my RX on 2400 mile road trips regularly, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across the country. And, it's got over 200k miles on the clock.
Old 12-16-13, 09:31 AM
Tommy2JZ
Pole Position

should do a tune up n oil before you leave and oil change before you come back if you wanna be safe lol
Old 12-16-13, 10:36 AM
Finn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check spare tire pressure and that you have tire nut/bolt wrench and that the jack works. If you have lock nuts make sure you have lock nut socket with you and that it fits the wrench.

Check fluids and off you go.
Old 12-16-13, 12:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

● check all fluid levels
● check condition of the serpentine drive belt
● check condition of all hoses, especially those carrying coolant (don't forget the small ones)
● check the tires (condition and air pressure)
● check the brakes
● check the steering and suspension components (bushings & ball joints)
● make sure tire changing equipment is complete and check pressure of spare tire
● consider a 4 wheel alignment
Old 12-16-13, 03:09 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would consider doing a full tuneup before you go. Replace your plugs, fresh air filter, oil change, check all your fluids, belts, hoses etc. Not only will it result in a worry free trip but you will probably get better gas mileage out of your trip. Sounds like you haven't owned the car long so its probably something you would have to do anyway, why not now.
Old 12-16-13, 05:01 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Billy, I'm in Lenexa - you probably know where that is. I've driven from here to Seattle/British Columbia, Montreal/Quebec City/Nova Scotia, New Orleans, etc. in the same car.

You're going to Dallas - not to Mars. A 1,000 mile trip is trivial. You certainly don't need a tune-up or fluid changes if your car is up to snuff. At this time of year, the main thing is to keep your tires properly inflated due to the fluctuations in temperatures. Tire pressure changes about 1 psi for each 10 degrees of temperature change.

Pack a snow shovel, warm clothes, some food and blankets. I've been stranded in Kansas blizzards and have spent as long as 4 days in a motel room without leaving the room with snow up to the top of the exit door.

140,000 miles on a 98 LS is low. My 2000 LS400 is at 173K and I wouldn't worry about driving it on the kind of 5,000+ mile vacations I did when I was young.

IMO, the main thing needed on any long distance trip is a credit card with a fairly high limit. If the $#!+ hits the fan and you have a major breakdown or crash, you want to be able to easily pay to have your car towed, fixed, etc. to stay in hotels and to rent another car to get you to your destination. Remember what happed to Clark Griswold on his family vacation!

Of course, I wouldn't drive to Dallas at all unless I was just itching for a road trip. It's too cheap to fly from KCI to Love Field - as little as $200 round trip on SW Airlines when I checked today. Get a rental car and stop by Sewell Lexus as you leave Love Field.
Old 12-17-13, 07:59 AM
billymild
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Billy, I'm in Lenexa - you probably know where that is. I've driven from here to Seattle/British Columbia, Montreal/Quebec City/Nova Scotia, New Orleans, etc. in the same car.

You're going to Dallas - not to Mars. A 1,000 mile trip is trivial. You certainly don't need a tune-up or fluid changes if your car is up to snuff. At this time of year, the main thing is to keep your tires properly inflated due to the fluctuations in temperatures. Tire pressure changes about 1 psi for each 10 degrees of temperature change.

Pack a snow shovel, warm clothes, some food and blankets. I've been stranded in Kansas blizzards and have spent as long as 4 days in a motel room without leaving the room with snow up to the top of the exit door.

140,000 miles on a 98 LS is low. My 2000 LS400 is at 173K and I wouldn't worry about driving it on the kind of 5,000+ mile vacations I did when I was young.

IMO, the main thing needed on any long distance trip is a credit card with a fairly high limit. If the $#!+ hits the fan and you have a major breakdown or crash, you want to be able to easily pay to have your car towed, fixed, etc. to stay in hotels and to rent another car to get you to your destination. Remember what happed to Clark Griswold on his family vacation!

Of course, I wouldn't drive to Dallas at all unless I was just itching for a road trip. It's too cheap to fly from KCI to Love Field - as little as $200 round trip on SW Airlines when I checked today. Get a rental car and stop by Sewell Lexus as you leave Love Field.
For the dates I'm going flights are either sold out or about $3-400 round trip. I'm heading down the cottonbowl.
Old 12-17-13, 01:31 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Vacuum and wash it before you leave. It'll make the car feel loved and it wouldn't want to break down on you and damage that relationship, would it?
Old 12-17-13, 03:36 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a spare key take it with you and give it to another member of the party to look after, nothing worse than being far from home and being faced with a lost car key.
Old 12-17-13, 05:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2006
If you have a spare key take it with you and give it to another member of the party to look after, nothing worse than being far from home and being faced with a lost car key.
that's why I love the LS400 credit card wallet key