LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Debating on mounting sparco fixed seats

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 12:16 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Debating on mounting sparco fixed seats

Hey guys, just wanted somev input before I drop the money. I have a 1992 LS400 and the stock seats both look like they been hit with a meat grinder. I know a local shop that can reupholster them for about $300 a piece but its more than I wanted to spend on OEM ****.

I figured hell I could pick up some seats from a friend for like $ 400 and buy rails but my biggest thing is how would it be perceived? ?
Ultimately I know its my ride but **** I don't want to look retarded.
Old 12-10-13, 12:24 PM
elexusparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think sparco seats would look odd in a luxury sedan but its all preference. If you think it looks good do it.
Old 12-10-13, 12:28 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

That's what I'm thinking however my approach considering it'll be on airride and agressive wheels might just make it "okay" lol
Old 12-10-13, 05:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no, it'll still look pretty stupid. if you're going the vip/stance route you can get away with some stuff bu it still has to fit the overall look you're going for.

Your car, your money, but I sure wouldn't if it's just a question of spending money one way or the other....
Old 12-10-13, 05:50 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcuta
That's what I'm thinking however my approach considering it'll be on airride and agressive wheels might just make it "okay" lol
I'd say go for it, but after you're all kitted-and-fitted, and getting around to the interior workings of the car. If you have a tan interior, I'd advise against doing anything remotely colorful because tan interior does not work well with any "sporty" colors.
Old 12-10-13, 06:32 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
I'd say go for it, but after you're all kitted-and-fitted, and getting around to the interior workings of the car. If you have a tan interior, I'd advise against doing anything remotely colorful because tan interior does not work well with any "sporty" colors.
Indeed. Its a hard decision, I'm leaning harder on just saving up a grip and redoing the whole interior
Old 12-10-13, 06:47 PM
PerpLexusd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I redid my entire interior, from carpet to headliner for $500 with all OEM stuff. I recommend that route instead of trying to put seats that would look weird
Old 12-10-13, 08:59 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

Originally Posted by PerpLexusd
I redid my entire interior, from carpet to headliner for $500 with all OEM stuff. I recommend that route instead of trying to put seats that would look weird
Lol sjit I wish I new your interior man, I can't find any kit or compant for that cheap
Old 12-10-13, 09:09 PM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ill leave this here.

No my car.
Old 12-10-13, 09:23 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleepywgn
Ill leave this here.

No my car.
Enough said. I know my next move. Lol
Old 12-10-13, 10:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

yeahhh...i saw that car too (at the AF meet).

Not a fan. Unless you make the rest of the car sporty enough to match it.

Leather trimmed recaros or similar though, would fit alright.
Old 12-10-13, 11:01 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe find a set of seats from a 98+ car in good shape? the newer ones are even softer then the older.
They are really good seats, not sporty, but many many cars do with worse.
Old 12-10-13, 11:34 PM
Boxcuta
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kingsoup
Maybe find a set of seats from a 98+ car in good shape? the newer ones are even softer then the older.
They are really good seats, not sporty, but many many cars do with worse.
I found a set of seats from a 96 that were perfect but the guy wants $400 for it. 9/10 people selling ls400 **** are overpricing it to me just so ill buy the whole car. Idk but its just very hard for me to justify spending over $400 on anything to be OEM as far as interior is concernefd just to please others opinions at car meets or shows.
Old 12-10-13, 11:45 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What? Why is it hard for you to justify spending that money... We aren't talking about manual adjusting, ugly 90s fabric seats out of a Civic/240/VW here... Leather, power everything, heated seats are in the $3000+/seat range for aftermarket stuff.

On a previous car I paid $400 for set of special edition Recaro OEM seats and that was a deal because they had a deployed passenger air bag and a slightly tweaked frame. $100 to have the cover removed, restitched and reinstalled; plus a little work with a come-a-long, ratchet straps and it was back to 100%. if they were mint they would have been $1000! And they were seats for a Ford Focus of all things.... Not an LS.

They are not over pricing, you're just cheap!
Stop looking at it as a <$4000 car and comparing it to a <$4000 civic/240/VW, which were $15-25k new, and forgetting you are driving a car that was $55+k new...
Bit of a difference....

$400 for a set of seats is a good deal if they are in great shape.

all that said, race buckets will look stupid in a luxury sedan unless it's caged, gutted and build as a drift car...

Last edited by Shmee; 12-10-13 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 03:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

lol a set of replacement almost-but-not-quite-OEM quality leather seatcovers (to replace the stock seats) would run you over $7-800 alone from leatherseats.com or comparable, PLUS installation.

and you're complaining about decent stock seats, complete (not just the leathers) for $400?

right.

Quick Reply: Debating on mounting sparco fixed seats