LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel system flush.... Better results than expected!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 07:14 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

^ gotcha. i'm not knocking on your qualifications whatsoever and am thankful for your contribution here. i am more interested in this type of service now, though it may differ in the US due to different emission standards as you mentioned (even more so in california which has the country's highest standard).

was the fuel filter replaced? were the plugs replaced? i would think a strong solvent would eventually foul the plugs?
Old 12-05-13, 07:55 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had previously done a major tune up in the summer with new plugs, cap&rotor, wires, fuel filter, PCV, air filter, TB cleaning, MAF cleaning, new O2 and ECT along with all the timing belt stuff.

I have never had an issue with fouling of plugs, quite the contrary actually, they have restore the plugs and keep the O2 sensors.

BC's aircare program and CARB are basically the same standard, swapping the top rank between the two.
What works in BC/California will work everywhere.

Some of the better systems are the MotorVac, Snap-on(basically a rebadged MotorVac) or the Terra-clean systems, if you want to do some more reading on them. Toyota/Lexus has their own system but it's probably just a rebadged MotorVac or TerraClean.
Old 12-06-13, 05:52 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

BG makes a good one also
Old 12-06-13, 05:54 AM
python
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=timmy0tool;8267871
i would think a strong solvent would eventually foul the plugs?[/QUOTE]

kreen by kano labs is an awesome product btw...
http://www.kanolabs.com/engCle.html#anchor63574
Old 12-06-13, 08:01 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

what amazing things do they do that, a fuel injector cleaner, or even seafoam doesn't do?
Old 12-06-13, 08:34 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

In my area I can't even use half of those brands of gas because almost all of them have ethanol in them. For some reason most of the Shells have ethanol and the ones that don't are way too expensive or they are too far to drive to. It's really weird.

I may give the fuel system flush a shot on my cars.
Old 12-06-13, 11:40 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
what amazing things do they do that, a fuel injector cleaner, or even seafoam doesn't do?
They are much much more concentrated vs the typical injector cleaner that is diluted in your gas tank. Seafoam is similar but will foul up plugs pretty good. Most people Seafoam the intake manifold, which does perform better the less carbon buildup it has but I am not a fan of all that carbon potential fouling plugs and injectors. The procedure Shmee mentioned is more directed at the injectors, fuel rail, and intake / exhaust valves. Does not go after the intake manifold.
Old 12-06-13, 11:40 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
You should never add anything to your gas tank. EVER.
A lot of the in-tank fuel treatments are not much different than the stuff that gets used in a motorVac or TerraClean system. The main difference is that the professional systems do not introduce stuff to anything but the fuel rail and after the fuel filter! Adding treatments to the tank can cause major problems by disvolving any varnishes as well as lifting all the sediments, that accumulate in your tank over the natural life of the car, back into suspension where they can now flow. Most of those sediments are abrasive and will begin pitting and attacking seals and the impeller of the fuel pump before plugging the fuel filter. Additionally, some of those in-tank treatments can strip liners of metal gas tanks or react with newer plastic tanks and leach other compounds out of the plastic, again both killing fuel pumps and filters. I've seen some disvolve the filter element in some fuel filters and then pump all that crap down system and plug/destroy fuel pressure regulators and injectors.

Should you ever have such issues, the company will tell you you got a bad tank of gas or had a fuel filter fail, but will happily buy you a new bottle or give you your money back.....

Seafoam is not as concentrated as the chemicals used in the pro machines, so you need use it a lot more and is only close to as effective when used inside on of the pro machines. However I don't know a single shop that would run seafoam through one of their machines as it would void the warranty.

Also, seafoam is a "jack of all trades" additive, not designed for one specific task. As such, it will not offer the same benefits as an additive engineered for a single purpose like the chemicals used in these pro machines.
If you had or devised a way to pump it directly into the rail, you could probably get decent results with a lot of the other additives.
Old 12-06-13, 02:18 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Been using redline injector cleaner and chevron techron additive for many years...never had an issue...7+ years and 50,000 miles
Old 12-06-13, 05:06 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
They are much much more concentrated vs the typical injector cleaner that is diluted in your gas tank. Seafoam is similar but will foul up plugs pretty good. Most people Seafoam the intake manifold, which does perform better the less carbon buildup it has but I am not a fan of all that carbon potential fouling plugs and injectors. The procedure Shmee mentioned is more directed at the injectors, fuel rail, and intake / exhaust valves. Does not go after the intake manifold.
cool, I know how seafoam works... and I've seen it work miracles - in person and not from some guy on a forum. Before I do anything fuel related, I always refer to www.bobistheoilguy.com, since those nerds do the work for me, they'll do an oil analysis, check plugs, etc. for each possible treatment or oil you can run - much of it Toyota specific too.

Either way, 2008 F150 comes to my buddy's shop, runs like ****. These had issues with the spark plugs breaking off, and a special 300$ tool to take them out. Does an overall tune up with plugs. Still hesitates, does both Cats, same thing. As a last resort, he gave the 'snake oil' [as he called it] known as Seafoam a shot - thing started to run flawlessly... No more hesitation, on BRAND new plugs.

You never know the truth... I'm not about to take apart my motor, I've run it once, but last year when I did valve covers gaskets & plugs, my motor was very clean... negligible amount of sludge on the heads.

Originally Posted by Shmee
You should never add anything to your gas tank. EVER.
A lot of the in-tank fuel treatments are not much different than the stuff that gets used in a motorVac or TerraClean system. The main difference is that the professional systems do not introduce stuff to anything but the fuel rail and after the fuel filter! Adding treatments to the tank can cause major problems by disvolving any varnishes as well as lifting all the sediments, that accumulate in your tank over the natural life of the car, back into suspension where they can now flow. Most of those sediments are abrasive and will begin pitting and attacking seals and the impeller of the fuel pump before plugging the fuel filter. Additionally, some of those in-tank treatments can strip liners of metal gas tanks or react with newer plastic tanks and leach other compounds out of the plastic, again both killing fuel pumps and filters. I've seen some disvolve the filter element in some fuel filters and then pump all that crap down system and plug/destroy fuel pressure regulators and injectors.

Should you ever have such issues, the company will tell you you got a bad tank of gas or had a fuel filter fail, but will happily buy you a new bottle or give you your money back.....

Seafoam is not as concentrated as the chemicals used in the pro machines, so you need use it a lot more and is only close to as effective when used inside on of the pro machines. However I don't know a single shop that would run seafoam through one of their machines as it would void the warranty.

Also, seafoam is a "jack of all trades" additive, not designed for one specific task. As such, it will not offer the same benefits as an additive engineered for a single purpose like the chemicals used in these pro machines.
If you had or devised a way to pump it directly into the rail, you could probably get decent results with a lot of the other additives.
Good to know regarding their procedure. Don't think we have anything like that here... There's many motor treatments that will run a super hot lower density oil through the motor but its $$ and another tech friend who works at a franchise shop says it doesn't give as much benefit as they claim it does - especially for the money!

The only thing I've had done similarly was through the TB and it was a compressed can with some special gas that runs into the motor with intake taken off. Really gets a lot of junk out supposedly. Almost seemed like a gaseous sea foam.
Old 12-06-13, 06:58 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Some of those spray-can intake cleaners work really well, and do a lot for mitigating the oil-coking problems associated with Direct injection engines or on engines with a problematic PCV/breather system.