LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Driver's side Window goes down when the Door is unlocked

Old 12-04-13, 03:05 AM
LS400BL80
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's side Window goes down when the Door is unlocked

Hey if anyone knows what might be going on here it would be greatly appreciated! Have my beautiful black 95' LS400

---so this is what happens: when I put the key in the door (only happens on the driver's side) turn the key right to unlock it as usual -and as soon as I do that: the window auto goes down. So next I get in, put the key in the ignition, roll up the window -and I lock that door. (Because if I dont lock the door right away: the window will start inching down all on it's own.

And what I can do that's interesting, maybe this'll give you more insight to what's going on *rite after I unlock the door (outside with the key) I open the door-- the window immediatly starts on it's way down-- If I flip the manual door lock rite quick --the window will stop in it's tracks (on it's way going down) as soon as I flip

the first time we had it looked at, the mechanic guy said, alltho he couldnt get to the bottom of it that day, but that he did notice evidence of some water drips happening down the inside of the metal door pannel. so said that might mean the weather stripping on that window is leaking /letting in water /need new weather stripping for driver's side window

So do you think water got on the Door locks mechanism? as possible cause? (So I might need new stripping on the bottom of the window ledge -and possibly need a new locks mechanism ?)

the very first sympoms that happened initially, that started with this whole thing was one day all my door locks started triggering on their own like they were posessed ~I'd be driving... and all of a sudden, the locks (on all 4 doors simultaneously) you could hear them going Lock, lock... lock, lock, lock..... lock, lock... Lock, lock, lock, lock... So my dad decided to unplug the power locks fuse so it stopped doing that. ---Any ideas the cause of how the Locks started doing that all on their own?? That is where the issue began-

So how would that (how it started with all 4 locks acting up on their own) be connected to why when I manualy unlock the door the driver's side window goes down.
But (Thankfully!) if the door is Locked atleast that driver's side window will stay Up!

So she's in the shop right now as we speak. another tech guy will be taking a look at it to try to solve the mysery (3 have been stumped so far, or at the limits of what they knew) ---But thanks to access to excellent answers thru you guys here on Club Lexus! So what do you think it is? + what parts do you think we might be looking at to fix--- and THANKS =]

Last edited by LS400BL80; 12-04-13 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 03:51 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

My guess is that there is a problem with the driver door lock mechanism since the driver door window can be lowered by putting the key in the key hole and holding it to the left. Look at page 23 of your owners manual which can also be viewed at: http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...pdf/1-2_24.pdf
Old 12-04-13, 12:34 PM
LS400BL80
Driver School Candidate

Hey, thanks for your reply idea -I'll pass it on to the guys at the shop -to check it out to see if it could be the Locks mechanism
Old 12-04-13, 12:43 PM
LS400BL80
Driver School Candidate

---Anyone else wonna take a stab at it?
Does it sound like something that might /would require (the Door pannel electrical peice /panel that's underneath the buttons, sorry=P is it called the ..ECU panel?) Ha, the part I've always heard is expensive. Does anyone think the issue described above would be requiring that part to be fixed?

Or does some (wiring?) need to be re-done that does the Door Locks ---connected to the Windows?

Any other good ideas Welcome! .......
Old 12-04-13, 01:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What year? Other symptoms of a worn cylinder will be locking and unlocking spontaneously. I do not know if the electronic part is available separately, I wound up buying a whole key cylinder back in the day. My tech relayed that it is preferred to use the remote for locking and unlocking.

The backside of the key cylinder electronics is a phenolic composite that has contacts embedded for the various functions. As the cylinder wears through turning, some of that contact material wears and smears across the composite. Since these particles are metallic, it is arcing. It could be another short elsewhere but since you mentioned that you inserted the key, this was my thought. In my case, the driver door on mine would lock and unlock.
Old 12-04-13, 02:35 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I think Kansas and RA40 have this mystery solved!
Old 12-05-13, 06:55 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400BL80
the very first sympoms that happened initially, that started with this whole thing was one day all my door locks started triggering on their own like they were posessed ~I'd be driving... and all of a sudden, the locks (on all 4 doors simultaneously) you could hear them going Lock, lock... lock, lock, lock..... lock, lock... Lock, lock, lock, lock...
If it were a UCF20/21, I would check the multiplex door computer especially the processor's Vcc line first using an oscilloscope.
Old 12-09-13, 04:31 AM
LS400BL80
Driver School Candidate

Hey Thanks you guys for your replies! There was alot of impressive technical details descriptions in there that I personaly dont know the meaning of, BUT Took screen shots of your replies so I can show them if I need to-

By the way I have (a beautiful) Black, 95' LS400 ;]

So far what we're doing is putting in a new Door Locks mechanism part and seeing if that takes care of it- If it's still not totally fixed after that ~well that's when the screen shots will be brought out.

Thanks again each of you who chimed in,, Ha +thanks for your patience reading my long explaination of it up there.
love ya ClubLexus! ;]

Last edited by LS400BL80; 12-09-13 at 04:35 AM.