LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Right rear camshaft plug seems to be leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 04:06 PM
peterls
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Right rear camshaft plug seems to be leaking...

I just finished timing belt and valve cover gaskets and now there is light smoke coming from under the hood. I can see that new gaskets are performing well - nothing there, its all dry.

But I can also see behind the wire harness, which is on the passenger side, near the firewall, that there is oil accumulating on the top of the intake manifold, way down there, hard to see... so as soon as that area gets hot, after 10-15 min driving, and if I go uphill especially, that oil starts smoking (or maybe it drips lower... and smokes up there).

I'd like to replace/reseal that end camshaft plug on the right side, but I have no idea how to get to it . I mean, even if I take off the valve cover, I can not get to the two bolts that are holding the camshaft plug - they are deep and under the wire harness, and it does not look like there is a plug where I could just unplug the wire harness and work.

Is there a trick I should know about, or do I need to take apart half the engine, and all the sensors, fuel rails, and tons of other stuff to be able to get the wire harness out of the way so that I can get to the camshaft plug?

If it were on the driver's side, it would still be tight, but at least it seems like it is reachable, but this one is completely out of reach, I can tell.

Any help is appreciated!

Peterls
Old 11-25-13, 01:54 PM
peterls
Advanced

I searched the internet like never before and could not find a single word about this procedure.
I have the repair manual and zilch there about it. Basically, it seems that there is no way to access the plug with wire harness and engine in the way (short of cutting a whole through the firewall )

So, in the end, it seems that I will have to rip half the engine apart to get to the stupid little camshaft plug on the right side. i may as well do the starter (although it seems to be OK right now), and while there, also the knock sensors... which then becomes a $1000 job, for a little plug that's leaking.

Arghhhh...
Old 11-25-13, 02:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeah cam has to come out to replace those afaik (at least on '98-00 cars)
Old 11-25-13, 07:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I would drive the car a while and see if the smoke persists - perhaps some oil got where it shouldn't have when you were doing the gaskets
Old 11-26-13, 02:36 AM
peterls
Advanced

I am kinda hoping that it is either a previous spill or that it is so small that it stops... today there was still some smell, but less. Couldn't quite see any smoke, but did not open the hood either (but then again, the ride was only 20 minutes).

Another question: what are the chances of oil that is leaking catching fire? As far as I know, oil does not catch fire that easily right? (Gotta take a trip for thanksgiving, and may have to drive it like this...)
Old 11-26-13, 03:45 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

for oil to catch fire on an engine, it would have to contact the exhaust, and even that would not normally be enough, as someone who has dribbled oil all over the exhaust manifold while adding it, more than 100 times, I have never had it catch fire - the only real place to be worried about would possibly be a catalytic converter and even then the cat would have to be in a situation where it is glowing red hot, which would be an engine running very badly, at that point - so the chances are miniscule

if you think about it, your engine has oil on it right now, we call it grease!.
Old 07-13-18, 12:09 AM
LS400Club
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this a day late and a dollar short but for anyone in the future wanting to take on this task, it can be done. Speaking from experience, the passenger side rear cam plugs are more difficult than the drivers due to large body harness mounted in the area. I managed to work around it by removing it from the bracket it is secured to with one bolt then removing the two bolts from the bracket. Once this has been done it will be a pushing and pulling match with the harness to keep it out of the way while removing the cam plugs, valve cover, etc. I removed the semi circle shaped plugs as well as the plastic freeze plugs from the head. The black plastic freeze plug leaks as well and it not visible without removing the metal collar covering it that’s held down two long hex bolts. The collar is located at the rear of the cam (cam closest intake plenum) and is actually part of what the valve cover rests on. It looks like a big hump in the back but it’s just where the plug resides. Take the two bolts out and remove the collar which will reveal half the plug. You may then pull it out and seal it with black rtv or Toyota FIPG. Seal the semi circle metal plug with this as well. The metal plugs will seem to be stuck! Pry on the lip of them inside the head with a long pry tool and they will free up! Make sure all mating surfaces are clean of all old sealant!!! This is most important along with correct sealer type and bolt torque. Throttle body, air cleaner, hosing, injector connectors, spark plugs, and all will need removed obviously. Just did both driver and passenger side on my 94’. Took about 3.5 hours of total work. Front side cam plugs on both side don’t commonly leak much for whatever reason. Yes you will have oil running the back of your engine when these leak. Yes it will burn and cause smoke. Yes it sucks when you’ve already done the valve cover gaskets once. Welcome to the 1UZ life. Just be glad it’s not a domestic with pissing rear main problems. I am a Toyota T-TEN student and work in a dealer. You may take my word. P.S. it’s easier to bend brackets out of the way instead of removing them.

Last edited by LS400Club; 07-13-18 at 12:17 AM.