LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hey Guys - Who Likes the 2nd Gen Fog Light Set-Up?

Old 10-29-13, 09:51 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Hmmm, yea that would work; I'm sure there are many ways to do this. I don't think the "plug" is gonna pop out though since I am filling and blending into the surface of the bumper. If I smack something hard enough for them to pop out - I prob. have bigger issues at that point...
Not even smacking anything, you're not 'bonding' anything with something else. Your jig is essentially 'floating' in the bumper.

You may get away with it as your in CA for a few weeks, but something as simple as vibrations will crack the paint and the bondo from the bumper.

You should've went to a junkyard, bought any bumper with flat surfaces and cut out pieces and shape them with a heat gun - then plastic weld the two pieces together.

Bondo isn't made for making body panels, but to fill small inconsistencies or gaps.

Either way, good luck with this...

BTW; this here is a proper step by step on how to do this and make it permanent;
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-weld-a-bumper
Old 10-29-13, 12:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Uhh, he's not hating (as he hasn't said anything personal) but he does bring into light the fact that you're using bondo (something with little-no flex) in a poly bumper (which does have quite a lot of flex).

something to consider for sure.
Old 10-29-13, 02:50 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Yawn. I'm sorry, I fell asleep after your first sentence. But I do love haters so keep it up!
LOL, I guess hooked on phonics doesn't always work!
Old 10-29-13, 03:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Why don't you and PD send some photos of your completed bumper projects so I can finally learn from the best. PLEEEEASE.
When you post on a public forum you open yourself up to ALL viewpoints. If you aren't open to accepting polite comments then perhaps you should reconsider creating threads. Regardless of your personal feelings, you need to remain polite.

I don't want to see any more childish bickering on this thread. From Anyone. Fair warning to all.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 10-29-13 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-29-13, 05:20 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm not understanding the benefit of deleting the fog lights. I drove to work early this morning in total darkness in a driving rainstorm and found the fog lights to be extremely useful. I refinished the fog light lenses a few weeks ago with a Sylvania lens restoration kit at the same time I did the headlight lenses and they are now as good as new.
Old 11-02-13, 08:10 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, here's the final 2 pix. First one is after final sand and prime and then the finished product; shot at the best angle and in the best light so you cant see my mistakes.
Attached Thumbnails Hey Guys - Who Likes the 2nd Gen Fog Light Set-Up?-dsc05046.jpg   Hey Guys - Who Likes the 2nd Gen Fog Light Set-Up?-dsc05048.jpg  

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-30-14 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-02-13, 08:32 PM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The answer to a question nobody asked..

For good reason.
Old 11-02-13, 10:09 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks pretty good...

What kind of paint did you use?

And also what kind of eyelids are those?
Old 11-02-13, 11:19 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsMiles
Looks pretty good...

This.

It looks pretty clean, though I can't help but imagine the fog lights there... Is there a way you could adapt that technique to essentially make "plugs" for the factory fog lights? Essentially, the old fog light is "discarded" and then replaced by a plug made of body filler or something. I'm thinking of running twin "dual projectors" for fog lights.
Old 11-02-13, 11:46 PM
ItsMiles
Driver

Sc0pe I don't understand. "This" is the brand?
Old 11-03-13, 12:01 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sc0pe I don't understand. "This" is the brand?
Oh no haha, it's usually another way of saying "ditto" or "what he said". I think the eyelids might be these from eBay.
Old 11-03-13, 01:54 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the foglights on our cars are not useless. you will know this once you do the "foglight mod" which consists of removing the glare shield to further enhance the light output (i know some people might have mixed opinions about the mod because of the glare but heck, my foglights are brighter than my low beams)! if anything, my low beams are more useless than my foglights. All the cars I've had so far all had foglights.. I feel it's a necessity especially for a luxury vehicle. It looks nice at night once the low beam and foglights are matched too.

+1 for creativity, but really... no effectiveness here except for aesthetics.

Last edited by xtremex626; 11-03-13 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-03-13, 07:06 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Looks pretty good...

What kind of paint did you use?

The paint comes from automotivetouchup.com. It's like $20 a can, but worth it since it is not generic spray paint but matched and mixed per your vehicles paint code.

Eyelids came from Junction Produce, Japan...via Ebay.

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-03-13, 07:08 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xtremex626
the foglights on our cars are not useless. you will know this once you do the "foglight mod" which consists of removing the glare shield to further enhance the light output (i know some people might have mixed opinions about the mod because of the glare but heck, my foglights are brighter than my low beams)! if anything, my low beams are more useless than my foglights. All the cars I've had so far all had foglights.. I feel it's a necessity especially for a luxury vehicle. It looks nice at night once the low beam and foglights are matched too.

+1 for creativity, but really... no effectiveness here except for aesthetics.
Never knew you guys were such fans of the fog lights. I don't drive my Celsior in bad weather anyway - that's what my truck is for. Oh well, to each his own.
Old 11-03-13, 08:15 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

Looks good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey Guys - Who Likes the 2nd Gen Fog Light Set-Up?