LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another 5spd swap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 03:14 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SO COOL BUDDY! come hook me up when u get it all done and figured out! lol
watching this closely so i can dream and maybe save up enough to do this later on =]
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!
Old 11-06-13, 04:47 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys!

Timmy, Before I made the brackets to space it out I did a test fit with the seats. It is a really tight fit, but it clears.

I have the grey cover that goes over the hand brake also, but I'm going to have my wife put some new material on it for me. It's pretty worn out, and my interior is in pretty good shape so I'd like it all to match as much as possible.
Old 11-06-13, 04:49 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I'll have pictures up tomorrow of the hand brake finished and with the seat back in and the console back together.

Just for the record I'm only going to have about 4-5 hours into installing the hand brake. And that includes the time it took to take it out of the SC. I've only been able to put in and hour or so at a time because of my crazy work schedule this week. Got over 20 hours of OT that is coming next week and going towards the Collins adapter and clutch stuff.
Old 11-07-13, 06:00 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

make some super sick fab kits and sell them to us =D ha
this is going to be quite epic for you i would imagine as it would be for me
Old 11-07-13, 02:59 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

The hand brake is done and working! I need to tighten the rear cables a little, but it works great. Here's a couple pictures of it. I think it looks pretty clean and "factory like" if I don't say so myself.

One picture of the way I attached the stock SC cable to the rear LS cable. It was a perfect length and no special parts were made. All I did was open up the two pieces of metal from the LS side and slide in the SC tab, and then squeeze the two back together so the tab doesn't come out.

Next step will be the clutch pedal install. I'll get started on it in the next couple days. I have a meet to go to Saturday, and will most likely wait till Sunday to start on the clutch pedal.
Attached Thumbnails Another 5spd swap!-brakelink.png   Another 5spd swap!-ebrake1.png   Another 5spd swap!-ebrake2.png  
Old 11-07-13, 06:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

did you just drill/mount the stock SC handbrake? Or weld/reinforce the area you mounted it to first? How thick is the steel there?
Old 11-07-13, 06:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 240benzo
make some super sick fab kits and sell them to us =D ha
this is going to be quite epic for you i would imagine as it would be for me
he can't do that without becoming a vendor and you know that
Old 11-07-13, 07:09 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

The steel is about an 1/8 inch thick. Yes I just drilled and mounted. But I added a third mounting point to the bottom of the SC hand brake for added support. I also used some massive washers to make sure the bolts have a good amount of surface area. The handle feels very solid and I'm 100% sure its not going anywhere.
Old 11-11-13, 02:47 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

Got the this ABS unit out of the way so I can start working on installing the clutch pedal and master. Here are a few pics. I'll be doing the same thing that nismo4life did by using the factory foot e-brake bracket and the S-13 clutch pedal assembly.
Attached Thumbnails Another 5spd swap!-abs.png   Another 5spd swap!-abs1.png   Another 5spd swap!-abs2.png   Another 5spd swap!-abs3.png   Another 5spd swap!-abs4.png  

Old 11-12-13, 12:14 PM
Greg5OH
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

goodluck, hopefully it all works out for you
Old 11-13-13, 12:15 AM
konaboi808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Props for the swap. When I get mine. I want to do it to
Old 11-13-13, 02:16 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Got the hole drilled for the master and almost finished with the clutch pedal. Just have to finish welding it tomorrow and make an extension for the rod for the master to clutch pedal. I'm going to also make a plate to go on the fire wall where the master bolts up. Our fire walls are pretty thin there and I want to give it a bit more strength.
Attached Thumbnails Another 5spd swap!-master.png  
Old 11-13-13, 03:44 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you going to brace the area around the clutch master with anything? iirc the LHD cars were never equipped with manual transmissions to the bulkhead there was not designed to take repeated normal force applications without failure.
Old 11-13-13, 04:36 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usoff89
Got the hole drilled for the master and almost finished with the clutch pedal. Just have to finish welding it tomorrow and make an extension for the rod for the master to clutch pedal. I'm going to also make a plate to go on the fire wall where the master bolts up. Our fire walls are pretty thin there and I want to give it a bit more strength.
I plan to add a plate to each side of the firewall to strengthen the metal where the master bolts up. It's pretty thin right there, I know.
Old 11-14-13, 12:53 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

The clutch pedal is in and finished. I finished welding the bracket and made an extension for the master. Just went to the local hardware store and bought a peice of threaded rod and a cupler to connect them. Pretty easy setup. If the clutch pedal install is the hardest part of the 5spd swap in the LS then its really not all that hard once you get in there and start. I'm done working on it until I get my parts from Collins, which hopefully I will be ording right around thanksgiving. Then installing the trans the week after that.

Looking at these pedals really gets me pumped up to start slamming gears in the LS.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
pedal.bmp (1.30 MB, 2046 views)
File Type: bmp
pedal1.bmp (1.30 MB, 1976 views)

Quick Reply: Another 5spd swap!