LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Check engine light on cause vsc on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 05:48 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I agree with Yamae - P1346 is nearly always jumped time (usually by just a single tooth on driver's side cam), when it's not, it is normally the ECU
Oh okay, so I should be fine to check it and if it is off, I can just realign it correctly no need to replace anything?
Old 10-26-13, 06:02 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Oh okay, so I should be fine to check it and if it is off, I can just realign it correctly no need to replace anything?
No!

if the timing is jumped, then there is a reason it jumped time!

at a minimum, you need to:

● replace timing belt with correct Toyota, Bando or Mitsuboshi belt only
● replace timing belt tensioner (NTN or Toyota only)
● inspect for any oil leaks and wipe down crank and cam pulleys, idlers with 91% alcohol or brake cleaner
● replace timing covers and/or gaskets if there is any breakage or leaking going on
● use the factory service manual to insure the new timing belt is installed and tensioned correctly

you are lucky this didn't jump more than it did, it would have cost you your engine!

what year is the car and I will link you to the factory timing belt procedure from the real service manual
Old 10-26-13, 06:09 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

No!

if the timing is jumped, then there is a reason it jumped time!

at a minimum, you need to:

● replace timing belt with correct Toyota, Bando or Mitsuboshi belt only
● replace timing belt tensioner (NTN or Toyota only)
● inspect for any oil leaks and wipe down crank and cam pulleys, idlers with 91% alcohol or brake cleaner
● replace timing covers and/or gaskets if there is any breakage or leaking going on
● use the factory service manual to insure the new timing belt is installed and tensioned correctly

you are lucky this didn't jump more than it did, it would have cost you your engine!

what year is the car and I will link you to the factory timing belt procedure from the real service manual

I wanted to ask because I just bought the aisin tk021 this year about 5-6 months ago and got my timing stuff done. That is why I wanted to ask, if I need to get it all again. The car is 98,
Old 10-26-13, 06:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well no, you don't need ALL of that stuff, the water pump and idler bearing should be fine, for example

but whoever installed it, screwed up, should not jump for at least 125K miles after the work is done - don't use those folks again
Old 10-26-13, 06:25 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

well no, you don't need ALL of that stuff, the water pump and idler bearing should be fine, for example

but whoever installed it, screwed up, should not jump for at least 125K miles after the work is done - don't use those folks again

So I should just get the eom timing belt and oem hydraulic tensioner then? I would do the work myself but when it come to engine stuff, I don't trust myself doing it
Old 10-26-13, 06:45 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

I'm looking for the belt and tensioner now
Old 10-26-13, 07:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

op if the car is running fine and isn't making any weird sounds, I urge you to do the following before 100% deciding on the timing belt.
-check cam sensor wiring
-check tb wiring
-have battery tested.

the '98-00 will generally make a hell of a racket when you skip a tooth, usually lunching the valvetrain. one tooth difference on an interference engine is not a small amount.
Old 10-26-13, 07:09 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
op if the car is running fine and isn't making any weird sounds, I urge you to do the following before 100% deciding on the timing belt.
-check cam sensor wiring
-check tb wiring
-have battery tested.

the '98-00 will generally make a hell of a racket when you skip a tooth, usually lunching the valvetrain. one tooth difference on an interference engine is not a small amount.
Pd I have check the vvt actuator as yamea have suggested and it is still the same. Also as I post In earlier post I got the results from the battery test already and it is 12.5v engine off and measure at only 260 cca on a 650 cca battery. I have check the wiring when I was checking the vvt actuator and it was all good
Old 10-26-13, 08:24 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

check battery voltage at idle with lights on and also at around 1800 rpm lights on

you can check the cam sensor on driver's side as well, but that really should have generated its own code

here is the factory service manual
Old 10-26-13, 08:49 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

I will get it check again when car on etc. and thanks for the lin, I just want to check all small stuff I am able to myself first before saying it is the timing belt like pd said. If it is then I guess I will be getting new belt and tensioner. Any one have a direct link to just those part itself instead of the kit?
Old 10-26-13, 10:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well jumped time is the most common cause of that code, but it certainly is not a given

you can just rotate the engine clockwise via the crank bolt a few times and check the timing before doing much work or replacing or even buying anything!
Old 10-26-13, 10:31 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

I didn't do the timing belt job nor have done anything that critical yet so I don't even know where to start. But there so much info on this site that is very helpful! And want to thank you all for your inputs. I'll have to see of any of my buddies have done so on their Lexus before, if so then they will have a better idea on how to and what to look for etc. I hope to get it fix ASAP so I can continue driving the car, to me the car still drive fine and normal
Old 10-26-13, 10:41 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

just checking the timing is not such a big job, just remove a few covers and rotate the engine (always clockwise ONLY when viewed from front of the car) and see if timing marks all line up on crank and both cams/backing plates

maybe a one hour job if there is no goofing off

your football team is finally starting to wake up in this game on TV!
Old 10-26-13, 10:57 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

just checking the timing is not such a big job, just remove a few covers and rotate the engine (always clockwise ONLY when viewed from front of the car) and see if timing marks all line up on crank and both cams/backing plates

maybe a one hour job if there is no goofing off

your football team is finally starting to wake up in this game on TV!
Okay well then I will take a look at it and see what covers I need to take off enough to see the timing mark and will update you guys on this
Old 10-27-13, 02:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

well jumped time is the most common cause of that code, but it certainly is not a given

you can just rotate the engine clockwise via the crank bolt a few times and check the timing before doing much work or replacing or even buying anything!
Based on what

I've seen that specific code on both LS' and IS', along with varied throttle body/DBW DTC codes. The common link? All of these involved either electrical issues (dead/dying batteries, corroded cables, etc...) or stupid stuff like a harness plug wiggling loose.

Never once have I seen a '98-00 1UZ skip timing and NOT run like crap/valve-tap/light up with multiple CELs (not VSC-off).

the odds are against this beign a timing belt issue given the car is running fine as per OP.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on cause vsc on?