LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 black interior transplant? To ambitious?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 08:01 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post LS400 black interior transplant? To ambitious?

I got 98 onyx black with the tan interior, is a black interior swap to ambitious? I want everything, carpet, headliner, pillars, dashboard, door panels, console, seats, etc. I realize there is a lot of parts that will need to be swapped out.

My question is how much will I be looking at to complete this? If I bought every single part from the dealer? Find a donor car in the junkyard? (very unlikely and its probably already stripped).

Has anybody done this and if so how was your experience, how much did you spend, and where did you source the parts?

Or am I just better selling the car and finding one with a black interior?

My interior is in near immaculate shape which I am thankful for but I cant get myself to like or even tolerate the tan. I even thought of stripping my interior to get rid of the tan but that is just bananas and crazy. Thats desperation = nutty thinking.

P.S. I wont paint my interior black....thats not an option.

Last edited by Jeremiah87; 10-07-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 08:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Is she low mileage and in good condition? I would check your local auto upholstery shop before trying to swap. New custom headliner and have the leather dyed. Then choose Saddle instead of black...
Old 10-07-13, 08:14 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Is she low mileage and in good condition? I would check your local auto upholstery shop before trying to swap. New custom headliner and have the leather dyed. Then choose Saddle instead of black...
125K and runs perfect. All major service done (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc), new Michelin tires, brake pads, etc. I bought her and all she needed was a new owner.

So I do consider this car still having enough "worth" to do an interior swap. But some are telling me its just a major headache and it will cost $$$.

Hmmm the upholstery shop suggestion, so the headliner/pillars can be custom. But will dying the leather be durable? I am really **** and feel bad that the tan color lies beneath and if it scratches/wears off then its gonna show up again. Maybe they can rewrap my seats and door panels? Custom black carpet? Do you think this will cost $5K? I have no idea how much all this will cost but I am guessing thousands? I might be willing to shell out $3K but anymore than that I might just sell the car and find one with a black interior.

I just looked at my interior...there are so many random bits and pieces that are tan....argh.
I like how some cars just have tan seats and door panels....at least on those cars its not so much work to convert. When Lexus said tan interior...they meant it. Even some plastic pieces in here that could have been black are tan ie switches/panels/etc.
Old 10-07-13, 08:27 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I'd spend that 3k somewhere else. Suspension and wheels maybe.
Old 10-07-13, 08:36 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I'd spend that 3k somewhere else. Suspension and wheels maybe.
Oh hell yeah if my interior was already black, I seriously could just get a set of wheels/tires, suspension, and call it a day. The car already has tint. I would be content with that.

Ill ask around the shops and get a estimate, if its more than $3K ill just consider selling the car then and finding one thats in as good of a condition as mine. Mine is pretty much set minus the color of the interior thats eating me alive.
Old 10-07-13, 10:20 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if you really wanted black interior.. you should've gotten it in the first place.. i don't see a point spending extra money on top of what you got the car for to change the interior color all to black.

save your self from money and time, put the car up for sale, find another one with black interior.
Old 10-07-13, 10:51 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xtremex626
if you really wanted black interior.. you should've gotten it in the first place.. i don't see a point spending extra money on top of what you got the car for to change the interior color all to black.

save your self from money and time, put the car up for sale, find another one with black interior.
I know, thats my impatience getting the best of me.

I can see one swapping to black interior if the car only came with tan...for example the Rsx Type S (PWP aka premium white pearl) only came with a tan interior. And I know a friend who will only own a white car and he was set on the RSX-S but the fact it came with tan was gonna be an issue.

He either could purchase a RSX with a black interior and paint the car white or pick up a white RSX and swap the interior to black. He chose the latter after I convinced him that a proper paint job is more $$$ and critical than swapping to black interior.

I actually tried selling the car via craigslist, autotrader (ad still up) and the old fashioned way with for sale signs posted on the car windows. I feel like nobody wants the car due to the tan interior but then again maybe its just me expecting to sell a car within the first week. It was that easy with my Civic.Integra, and Miata. Seems to me the LS400 only appeals to old people, VIP enthusiasts, or those who "know" its a great car. Most others just see an old big luxury Jap car.

P.S. Is black interior rare? I do see em every now and then but it seems most LS400s came with tan or grey. The grey isnt as offending and I can tolerate it but black is best.
Also I see black interior in the black and silver LS400s....did the white LS400 ever come with black? I seen white with grey interior but never black.

Last edited by Jeremiah87; 10-07-13 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 12:23 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do go through with the dying of the seats and such, try look into BMW Cinnamon/Black (how you decide to combo it is up to you). Gives the LS a more modern and, in some cases, sporty look to it.

Check out the pics in this thread

In theory, you can pull the entire interior - carpet and all - and do it yourself, provided you had a donor interior and/or dye everywhere.
Old 10-08-13, 01:42 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Is this the making of a show car or just to satisfy a want for black interior? If just to have the color and nothing else, this is hugely inefficient use of your $ and time. As they say, buy it right the first time. This is pretty much gutting the interior and that's a pretty big job but with a show car, this is the time to do all kinds of other electronic add-on's and audio.

If the interior is good, I'd leave it. Black will show wear as the dye becomes worn and IMO looks much worse than the ivory. All leather requires due care but that said, I'd pick ivory-tan over black. Then you have the dash pad, seat belts, steering wheel and other plastic bits, you can easily blow more than $3K.

Sell the car or keep it and move to a different area to spend $ on.

Last edited by RA40; 10-08-13 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-08-13, 01:46 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremex626
yes, do THIS!

otherwise, you will just ruin your nice Lexus!
Old 10-08-13, 05:41 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RA40
Is this the making of a show car or just to satisfy a want for black interior? If just to have the color and nothing else, this is hugely inefficient use of your $ and time. As they say, buy it right the first time. This is pretty much gutting the interior and that's a pretty big job but with a show car, this is the time to do all kinds of other electronic add-on's and audio.

If the interior is good, I'd leave it. Black will show wear as the dye becomes worn and IMO looks much worse than the ivory. All leather requires due care but that said, I'd pick ivory-tan over black. Then you have the dash pad, seat belts, steering wheel and other plastic bits, you can easily blow more than $3K.

Sell the car or keep it and move to a different area to spend $ on.
Yeah, the interior plastics/electronics is a major issue in terms of getting the color right. Unless you have a black donor car, this part will be EXTREMELY costly/time consuming.
Old 10-08-13, 06:02 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Come to Texas:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/4110640168.html
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/4091648178.html
Old 10-08-13, 06:03 AM
flipside12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremiah87
Oh hell yeah if my interior was already black, I seriously could just get a set of wheels/tires, suspension, and call it a day. The car already has tint. I would be content with that.

Ill ask around the shops and get a estimate, if its more than $3K ill just consider selling the car then and finding one thats in as good of a condition as mine. Mine is pretty much set minus the color of the interior thats eating me alive.
This has got to be the dumbest **** ive read, sell a perfectly running amd great shape car due to an interior color. Rofl
Old 10-08-13, 06:48 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside12
This has got to be the dumbest **** ive read, sell a perfectly running amd great shape car due to an interior color. Rofl
It's not really dumb, it's owner preference. I would have much rather had black interior instead of the tan but I also "jumped the gun" when I bought mine. (b/c it was a good deal) The tan gets too dirty over time no matter how much ya clean it.
I would sell the car you have, take that cash plus the 3K you were gonna spend on the interior, and buy a much better LS400 with black interior.
Changing the whole interior is not a good idea. Way too many little pieces. Plus, you know, something wont fit right and you might be upset with the outcome.
Old 10-08-13, 06:56 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey... the black will get just as dirty as the tan over time... you just can't see it... not sure that is what I'd want.
Do you think the black is going to get 'cleaner' than the tan?

Sell the car and start over and get what you want... you do the deal you wanted, but not the car...that was the choice you made a the time. We all learn from our mistakes... don't make another mistake by making this car something it wasn't...
You'll be much happier if you would buy what you really wanted...no matter what the price. That is the lesson you just learned here. Apply that and move on. In the end, you'll be happier.

Quick Reply: LS400 black interior transplant? To ambitious?