LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Thinking Of Repainting My LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 11:05 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking Of Repainting My LS 400

I recently inherited my dad's car, a 1995 LS 400, color Ebony Teal Pearl and has the gold luxury package (i.e., gold decals). (I previously thought it was Black Jade, but a check of the VIN shows that the car's color is officially Ebony Teal Pearl.) Ebony Teal Pearl is darker than Black Jade. It almost looks black, and in the shade it looks black, but in bright sunlight it looks like a very dark green. I am thinking of painting it all Onyx Black, but I want some ideas from you guys before I pull the trigger.

A few years ago, my late father accidentally pressed the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal while parking it in the garage, destroying a refrigerator yet doing very little damage to the car. The difference is slight enough that I can keep driving it as is without any problem.

I am thinking of painting it all Onyx Black, and I want to paint over the two-tone and turn the whole car into a solid Onyx Black beauty, so I took the car in for an estimate. I checked all the Yelp reviews and went to the nearest body/paint shop with five stars. This is the estimate I was given: $2000 just to fix the dents, and $6500 for fixing the front-end dents plus the color change to solid Onyx Black or jet black. The manager told me that this method only paints the surface and not the hidden areas to paint below the surface. He stated that the latter method is more labor-intensive and the cost would double to about $12,000. He went on to say that I should choose the cheaper option because the color I have now is so close to jet black that most everyone would not know. I asked him how good his work is, and he answered that his quality is "better than factory"--ha! After all, he locally has the highest Yelp! reviews. He said that even with the cheaper method he will need about four weeks to paint my car.

So what do you think, guys?

$6500 is a lot to pay, and it may be better to just buy another car. I am wondering if any of you guys had similar experiences I can draw from to make a decision.
Old 10-02-13, 12:18 AM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on how much you love the car, $6,500 would be a decent repaint if their preparation is true to the reviews. Painting is 90% prep, 10% spray. Show quality paint jobs are around 15-20K...at least thats what I am led to believe is the case here in California. Some dude I met at a local car show spent $15K for a repaint on his CRX. It looked amazing.....no orange peel, deep rich black paint with no paint lines/breaks. The entire car was stripped for paint (interior, engine, etc removed)

I am way to **** about paint perfection so its factory finish I tend to prefer.

If I were you, my advice is to get a new car. If you want another LS400, get a good one.

Getting a car repainted can be pleasant or usually it ends up being a nightmare....overspray is the killer. Whats worse is when you get it in the interior.
I know from experience and though friend's experiences that even some of the nicer body shops are just so damn sloppy.

Last edited by Jeremiah87; 10-02-13 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 12:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol don't bother. if you absolutely positively want to hide the beautiful (and rare) stock color you have, wrap the car. you'll get the black you want for less money (<$2k) and it's removable.
Old 10-02-13, 08:51 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
I recently inherited my dad's car, a 1995 LS 400, color Ebony Teal Pearl and has the gold luxury package (i.e., gold decals). (I previously thought it was Black Jade, but a check of the VIN shows that the car's color is officially Ebony Teal Pearl.) Ebony Teal Pearl is darker than Black Jade. It almost looks black, and in the shade it looks black, but in bright sunlight it looks like a very dark green. I am thinking of painting it all Onyx Black, but I want some ideas from you guys before I pull the trigger.

A few years ago, my late father accidentally pressed the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal while parking it in the garage, destroying a refrigerator yet doing very little damage to the car. The difference is slight enough that I can keep driving it as is without any problem.

I am thinking of painting it all Onyx Black, and I want to paint over the two-tone and turn the whole car into a solid Onyx Black beauty, so I took the car in for an estimate. I checked all the Yelp reviews and went to the nearest body/paint shop with five stars. This is the estimate I was given: $2000 just to fix the dents, and $6500 for fixing the front-end dents plus the color change to solid Onyx Black or jet black. The manager told me that this method only paints the surface and not the hidden areas to paint below the surface. He stated that the latter method is more labor-intensive and the cost would double to about $12,000. He went on to say that I should choose the cheaper option because the color I have now is so close to jet black that most everyone would not know. I asked him how good his work is, and he answered that his quality is "better than factory"--ha! After all, he locally has the highest Yelp! reviews. He said that even with the cheaper method he will need about four weeks to paint my car.

So what do you think, guys?

$6500 is a lot to pay, and it may be better to just buy another car. I am wondering if any of you guys had similar experiences I can draw from to make a decision.
At $6500, I'd have to say start looking for a different car. In some cases, you can even find a 98-00 with a reasonable amount of miles in that price range. However, if the car does hold sentimental value, then I guess it's your call really. I have no idea about paint costs and what not, but if you're planning on doing more than just painting it, try getting that out of the way first and save some cash in the long run
Old 10-09-13, 09:42 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Default Picture Of My Car

Here is my car. Do you think it would look better in solid onyx black, or should I keep it in ebony teal and gray bottom?

Old 10-09-13, 09:55 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my car. Do you think it would look better in solid onyx black, or should I keep it in ebony teal and gray bottom?

I think you're golden as far as color goes. If anything, match the bottom half so your car for a more contemporary appearance.
Old 10-09-13, 10:00 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

That looks gorgeous to me!
Old 10-09-13, 10:34 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Yes, I like it, too, but to me it rates about 9, and solid black onyx would be a 10. What I do like about ebony teal is that I have yet to see another LS 400 in that color. It is a very conservative style with a touch of flair to it, but there is something very sexy to me about solid onyx black. The present color would be a close second, though.
Old 10-10-13, 12:08 AM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can go either way personally. The ebony teal is a nice color as well. It comes down to which one you want more and it seems your heart is on onyx black.

If you decide to keep the teal, just have the bottom half painted ebony teal for the much desired monotone paint job we all should have gotten from the factory.

If you go Onyx, welcome to the club.

^ I wish the bottom grey half was onyx too...damn two tone paint lol.

Last edited by Jeremiah87; 10-10-13 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 08:21 AM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you REALLY must have that car and that car only, I would never ever even consider spending 6500 on a paint job for a 3500 car. Way too big losing proposition to me.

As already suggested, if you are looking for the monotone scheme, just match the lower half and be done with it.

One thing what I'm wondering, though, is that "very little damage". I guess that is in the eye of the beholder if the shop is quoting 2000 just to fix that. Either you are making it sound less than what it actually is or the shop is taking you for a ride on that one.
Old 10-10-13, 09:14 AM
EmpPenguin
Driver

I know what you mean, dude. Just before I pull the trigger, all I have to do is look up LS400's on the local Craigslist and I can find many cars I can buy for $6500, most of them newer than my car.

There is no doubt I will keep this specific car because it was my late father's. For now I have decided to leave it as is because it makes no sense to dump the money for the paint job, and if my dad wouldn't do it himself, nor should I.
Old 10-10-13, 08:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

If anything, sut make the bottom the same color as the top and get the factory color waxed, buffed, detailed. I love this color and you never really see it. Also, aftermarket paint jobs always makes me hesitant, in my experience, they tend to always have flaws that weren't there before.
Old 10-11-13, 08:28 AM
TexFinn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For now I have decided to leave it as is because it makes no sense to dump the money for the paint job, and if my dad wouldn't do it himself, nor should I.
Excellent decision.