LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus LS400 profiled as a drug dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 08:11 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
35% all the way around with privacy shades up. I don't get a second look from cops except to admire her beauty. I don't like too dark. Lighter ceramic is better imo. Put some curtains in the back if you want.
go away man, this is the ls400 sub forum, your car is too nice to be stereotyped, lol.
Old 10-01-13, 09:31 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
35% all the way around with privacy shades up. I don't get a second look from cops except to admire her beauty. I don't like too dark. Lighter ceramic is better imo. Put some curtains in the back if you want.
Right now, I'm on the fence about going 35 up front and 20 out back (this sounds like a tire discussion... lol). I mean, 35 looks pretty great on your car, but Florida is like a hot version of Antarctica - it's hot 9 months out of the year. Today, my internal thermometer read 101 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 10-01-13, 10:40 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
Right now, I'm on the fence about going 35 up front and 20 out back (this sounds like a tire discussion... lol). I mean, 35 looks pretty great on your car, but Florida is like a hot version of Antarctica - it's hot 9 months out of the year. Today, my internal thermometer read 101 degrees Fahrenheit.
15% or 20% all around is always a good look. And plus you can still see perfectly well out at night, even in dark alleys/neighborhoods. Admittedly with my 5% its a pain at night if I am in a dark area.

I always felt tint looks best when its uniform all around. But its preference and also depends on if you wanna abide by your local tint laws.
Old 10-02-13, 12:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The car being affordable is going to attract a new generation of owner so the "profile" will be pretty broad. That can be seen in the age thread and carried out look at the 460 and 430 sections for similar discussions.

Bottom line is that a car with 15-20% tint is going to attract the LEO's due to the state vehicle code laws regarding tint. Doesn't matter age or ethnicity. Lower it with that poke or flush, you get more attention due to the high probability of illegal equipment mods. All numbers and older drivers aren't generally doing that so of course they don't get the profile drill.

One of my cars didn't have any tint but because it was parked in a neighborhood that it was not seen, a resident called the police to check. Officer did the drill then said the neighborhood has a regular neighborhood watch so they call in "suspicious activity". I do the same on my street if a different car parks and nobody goes up to a house.

We all have been through it, part of that time period for you.
Old 10-02-13, 04:20 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by RA40
The car being affordable is going to attract a new generation of owner so the "profile" will be pretty broad. That can be seen in the age thread and carried out look at the 460 and 430 sections for similar discussions.

Bottom line is that a car with 15-20% tint is going to attract the LEO's due to the state vehicle code laws regarding tint. Doesn't matter age or ethnicity. Lower it with that poke or flush, you get more attention due to the high probability of illegal equipment mods. All numbers and older drivers aren't generally doing that so of course they don't get the profile drill.

One of my cars didn't have any tint but because it was parked in a neighborhood that it was not seen, a resident called the police to check. Officer did the drill then said the neighborhood has a regular neighborhood watch so they call in "suspicious activity". I do the same on my street if a different car parks and nobody goes up to a house.

We all have been through it, part of that time period for you.
This just makes good sense.
Old 10-02-13, 05:21 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father and I both have black 1999 LS400's and we are black men. I guess the stereo type is kind of true. Lol!
Old 10-02-13, 05:50 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think drug dealers used to drive luxury domestic or German cars. Those cars broke down so often (and were so expensive to fix) that they interrupted the drug sales, and drug sale profits were going to the automobile mechanics instead. So the drug dealers switched to the more reliable Japanese luxury sedans. But the newer ones, with all their computerized gadgets are a little difficult for drug dealers to use (e.g. pairing a new bluetooth device with the car's navigation system), so they stick to the older Japanese luxury sedans.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 10-02-13, 09:33 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I lol @ this thread....

I learnt a long time ago, tint attracts cops, tint on the front windows attracts even more cops.
Want to be bothered less by the cops?
Go fish-bowl styles!
Old 10-02-13, 10:32 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the whole "VIP" style in itself is gang related if you look at the history of it all too.
Old 10-02-13, 10:52 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
I think drug dealers used to drive luxury domestic or German cars. Those cars broke down so often (and were so expensive to fix) that they interrupted the drug sales, and drug sale profits were going to the automobile mechanics instead. So the drug dealers switched to the more reliable Japanese luxury sedans. But the newer ones, with all their computerized gadgets are a little difficult for drug dealers to use (e.g. pairing a new bluetooth device with the car's navigation system), so they stick to the older Japanese luxury sedans
Cute story. If you're a nobody slinging dime bags, sure, get an old LS since you're not moving weight.

Those big dealers drive cars you'd never suspect, and if they drive flashy, you bet your *** they don't advertise the sketchy part of their 'business'. A friends neighbor [upscale neighborhood] got busted, swat, narcs, etc. house surrounded middle of the day. No one knew what was happening since that's how low key they were, even if he was driving hummers, Lambo's & Porsche's.

Basically, its the hood rats that run these cars for 'deals', no one else.
Old 10-02-13, 11:04 AM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a dropped LS in Japan and they really are stereotyped as gangster cars. Try having to deal with Japanese police everyday going on to a military base. For a while my car was being searched like once a week. Had to complain and they eventually stopped searching it every chance they had.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-02-13, 12:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The profile doesn't just exist for the younger crowds. Runs the same in the higher $ cars too.
Lesson in this is if the car exhibits mods for that particular car culture, you've already conformed to that profile. Leave it stock or go easy on tint and you will be like some of the soccer moms in mini vans. Which by their profile isn't very good in terms of their patience in driving. Pick a car that is being driven by 40-60 year olds, leave it stock and you will be ignored by the LEO's unless doing something lame.

Remember when you first got your license and took mom/dad's car out? Every other driver knew it was the family car and this was a new driver. That is almost at the same level as having "Student driver" stickers on the doors, and back of car.

A tassel hanging from the rear view says I'm 18 and out of high school.
Small stuffed animal hanging from the rear transport hold down, 19-24 years old in the rebellious college years and all that accompanies that age group.
It goes on...

The VIP style as mentioned earlier has queues in the Yakuza appearance. Dress, cars, etc. VIP is more mainstream so it is adopted by non gang people but that stereotype reference carries on from various influences in Japanese car cultures from the 60's+.

In one of the outer areas of Nagoya our host family pointed out a building the Yakuza ran business out of. Almost laughable because that was a place to get money loans though the building was unmarked. The gathering of black VIP platform cars were stock with just dark tint all around. MB S-class, Range Rover BMW 7 series, etc. We drove by that building each day on the way out to play tourist and not once did I spot a JDM car parked there. On the last day in town there was a black Escalade.
Old 10-02-13, 09:07 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my Nieces and nephew calls my car the mobster car. lol
you don't have to go very dark on the tint to protect the interior as long as the tint is a good quality one.
On my car I have 50% 3m crystaline tint on the windshield and 35% 3m tint (forgot the model) all around.
Once the car and AC is ON the heat goes away in a few mins
Old 10-02-13, 09:36 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranom
my Nieces and nephew calls my car the mobster car. lol
you don't have to go very dark on the tint to protect the interior as long as the tint is a good quality one.
On my car I have 50% 3m crystaline tint on the windshield and 35% 3m tint (forgot the model) all around.
Once the car and AC is ON the heat goes away in a few mins
Hmmm, I think I'll probably do that. 50% windshield (maybe a pretty banner at the AS1 line), 35% front windows, 20% rear everything. Pictures from the interior/exterior?
Old 10-04-13, 04:47 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MIne is bone stock, but I live in a nice part of Oakland. However, 10 minutes east or west of me and you'll see LS400 donks arounds. I don't think OPD bats an eyebrow at me.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS400 profiled as a drug dealer?