LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Valve Cover Gaskets Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-13, 07:20 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did mine a little while ago, along with a major service and timing belt and water pump, so I don't have and exact time but working at a mellow pace the average person should be able to bang off the job in 2-4hours.

You can get the parts required from places like Rockauto for pretty cheap.

The job is not that involved, it's just about going slowly and not forcing anything. Working on the passenger side is a little tricky if you do not remove the throttle body, and an extra set of hands is suggested.
Having a solvent tank to clean the covers is also a very helpful thing if you, or the previous owner, are not ultra diligent on your oil change intervals. This just takes any caked on varnish, carbon and oil off very easily and also removes most of your stains and gunk off the outside.

I do suggest a dab of some high quality automotive silicone in the corners of the cover and cam caps.
Old 09-30-13, 11:23 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Honestly, it's not a bad job. I used OEM gaskets and Fel-Pro spark plug tube seals but I will need to redo the job since I'm seeing seepage at the seals. The FIPG is there for the gasket corners - but Permatex black/gray or Hondabond HT will do nicely.
Old 10-02-13, 06:10 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Because some people are not mechanically inclined. They don't own the service manual or the tools.

Anyway, I would suggest getting all the parts yourself and check out the website called Yelp.com You can search auto repair for your area and see the highest rated businesses in your area and get quotes from them. In general, the higher rated privately owned businesses do good work. I have used Yelp for my tint, sub replacement / grom audio install, windshield replacement, and a few other things and I have been satisfied with the businesses I choose via the high ratings.
Thanks for all the feedback.

I went with a highly rated (Yelp-referred) biz, and got the VC gasket leak fixed at an indie shop at a great price. Had them change the spark plugs and seals as long as they were in there. The car runs beautifully!

You have to be careful with the Yelp raitngs though. I've gotten pretty good at spotting fake write ups. This guy's reviews looked legit.

New indie repair shops are springing up around LA with former Lexus Techs running them. Good deal for those of us who own older Lexus and can't justify dealer prices for repairs.

I was charged four hours labor but had so much other stuff thrown in or done for free that I was totally fine with that.
Old 10-02-13, 06:19 AM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
I just did mine a little while ago, along with a major service and timing belt and water pump, so I don't have and exact time but working at a mellow pace the average person should be able to bang off the job in 2-4hours.

You can get the parts required from places like Rockauto for pretty cheap.

The job is not that involved, it's just about going slowly and not forcing anything. Working on the passenger side is a little tricky if you do not remove the throttle body, and an extra set of hands is suggested.
Having a solvent tank to clean the covers is also a very helpful thing if you, or the previous owner, are not ultra diligent on your oil change intervals. This just takes any caked on varnish, carbon and oil off very easily and also removes most of your stains and gunk off the outside.

I do suggest a dab of some high quality automotive silicone in the corners of the cover and cam caps.
The took the throttle body off and totally cleaned it. It really needed it. I think I heard someone say they steam cleaned the covers.
Old 10-02-13, 08:22 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Steam cleaning removes most of the hard carbon deposits but you need a solvent, a brush and some elbow grease to remove the varnish and other crud completely!
Old 10-03-13, 08:58 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
I looked at this btw. It helped me to decide to take it to a shop. :-)
Old 10-03-13, 09:01 PM
PlotPoint
Driver

Originally Posted by Shmee
Steam cleaning removes most of the hard carbon deposits but you need a solvent, a brush and some elbow grease to remove the varnish and other crud completely!
I am not sure what all they did -- whether only steam cleaning or both steam and solvent. Now that you say this, I think I will find out. Thanks.