LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 LS400: Engine Fan spinning too freely ?

Old 09-28-13, 08:38 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Okay, I'll bite: What is the Fan Fluid Reservoir actually lubricating? And I'm curious; how you are going to get that silicone into the fan clutch? I have a '99, so I'm sure it's different, but I'm still curious.
Old 09-28-13, 11:22 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the fan fluid reservoir was a weird system on the SC300 and SC400 that held ATF fluid which ran the fan via a hydraulic motor, pump, and a little mini radiator and associated piping. - the fluid is not for lubrication as much as it is acting as hydraulic fluid - it is similar in theory to your power steering system, but even more complex!

be very glad you have a sealed fan clutch rather than this expensive contraption!

how you are going to get that silicone into the fan clutch? I have a '99, so I'm sure it's different, but I'm still curious.
he's not, our fan clutches are factory sealed and should be replaced as an entire unit when they lose their viscosity, and your 99 and his 96 use essentially identical fan clutches, which require no maintenance - if your A/C ever doesn't get cold enough, then it might be time for a new one!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-28-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-28-13, 12:39 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS400
Everything I do on my car, I seek the advice of the more experienced lexus owners/ mechanics on this forum before-hand.
That's a good practice to go by. It keeps your car going the best it can. This way, you dont have mistakes.
Alot of people learn from their mistakes.
Old 09-28-13, 01:26 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Thanks Cowboy...I will purchase this for the Engine Fan Reservoir..
I thought you had a 96 LS400?

LS400 doesn't have an Engine Fan Fluid reservoir, that is just the SC models, and any Lexus that has the fan fluid reservoir will NOT have and fan clutch and vice versa!

As for the silicone, I believe my fan clutch requires it due to spinning soo freely and even continues to spin when the vehicle is switched off, consequently will proceed to change the silicone in my fan clutch
your fan clutch is a sealed unit, just because some bozo company sells silicone to put in it, doesn't mean you should! - if your fan clutch is spinning too freely, you need a new one, once we figure out what car you have, we can find you one online cheap!

now it is time to decide if you have a fan fluid reservoir or a fan clutch - pick one!
Old 09-28-13, 11:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS

LS400 doesn't have an Engine Fan Fluid reservoir, that is just the SC models, and any Lexus that has the fan fluid reservoir will NOT have and fan clutch and vice versa!

your fan clutch is a sealed unit, just because some bozo company sells silicone to put in it, doesn't mean you should! - if your fan clutch is spinning too freely, you need a new one, once we figure out what car you have, we can find you one online cheap!

now it is time to decide if you have a fan fluid reservoir or a fan clutch - pick one!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ch-repair.html
thoughts?
Old 09-29-13, 12:16 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
oh, it can be done, but with a brand new OEM Aisin FCT-014 being only $86 to my door from amazon, not a lot of interest in rebuilding mine, and I doubt I could do as well they can in Japan

if it was still a $300 part, then I might take the time.
Old 09-29-13, 06:36 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

on certain camrys the power steering was tied into the cooling system as well
Old 09-29-13, 09:38 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Fan Fluid Reservoir....The logo on my vehicle states SC400 as seen in the picture below...BUT....the authorized certified registration card for this vehicle states 1996 TOYOTA CELSIOR only.....Therefore, what led me to thinking its an LS400 ? Try going to Google, type in 1996 SC400 and see what comes up....Then again type in 1996 LS400....Dont you find my vehicle fits the image of an LS400 and not the images for the SC400 ?
Attached Thumbnails 1996 LS400: Engine Fan spinning too freely ?-dsc02734.jpgh.jpg33.jpg   1996 LS400: Engine Fan spinning too freely ?-dsc02735.33jpg.jpg  
Old 09-29-13, 09:50 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Thanks for your feedback PureDrifter. Now, unlike the vehicle in the above link, my 1996 Lexus Celsior only has ONE Fan, which is the Engine Fan. No electronic Fans to the front of the condensor etc. Here is a pic of my engine indicating no fans to the front. And the latter pic showing my Engine Fan.
Attached Thumbnails 1996 LS400: Engine Fan spinning too freely ?-dsc02737.33jpg.jpg   1996 LS400: Engine Fan spinning too freely ?-wp_20130929_007.jpg  
Old 09-29-13, 11:15 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

once we figure out what car you have, we can find you one online cheap!
With those pics we now see the problem of "which car do you have?" The badge says SC400 but it's surely not an SC. (Sport Coupe) It's a right hand drive Toyota Celsior. Even though the Celsior and LS400 are basicly the same vehicle, in this case, they're not. Someone just changed the badges to make it look like a Lexus. I guess they wanted to feel more high class.
Old 09-29-13, 12:22 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

still really strange to have the SC fan fluid craziness on an LS - but having a JDM is otherwise very COOL

PS - as I said earlier, but bears repeating, you do NOT have a fan clutch on this beast whatsoever, so do not get that silicone anywhere near this car, you will ruin it!

I would completely change the ATF fluid in your hydraulic fan system, but get a buddy who has flushed a power steering system before to help you - and never run the car with the fan fluid low, or any other fluid low, for that matter!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-29-13 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-29-13, 02:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for your feedback PureDrifter. Now, unlike the vehicle in the above link, my 1996 Lexus Celsior only has ONE Fan, which is the Engine Fan. No electronic Fans to the front of the condensor etc. Here is a pic of my engine indicating no fans to the front. And the latter pic showing my Engine Fan.
Hmm, guess toyota put a hydro fan on some of the non USDM models.

Weird.
Old 09-29-13, 02:51 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Hmm, guess toyota put a hydro fan on some of the non USDM models.

Weird.
or else someone dropped a complete SC motor in that car to go along with the silly SC emblem on the back! - maybe the emblem means SC 1UZ powered - lol
Old 09-29-13, 05:42 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

That is not a SC400. It is a JDM Toyota Celsior and it is natural that the fan spins freely by a hand when the engine is off because it has a hydro fan. Once the engine is started, the fan rotates sometimes slowly and sometimes fast depending on the heat generated by the engine.

We live in a small country but the summer heat and winter coldness are something special. We also have traffic jams very often. To meet those conditions, Toyota must have decided to use a hydro fan for a JDM.
Old 09-29-13, 07:00 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

or else someone dropped a complete SC motor in that car to go along with the silly SC emblem on the back! - maybe the emblem means SC 1UZ powered - lol
Actually the 1UZ-FE is the original engine that came with the vehicle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 LS400: Engine Fan spinning too freely ?