LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 shift kit.... installed

Old 09-23-13, 10:07 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS400 shift kit.... installed

I bought the Trans-go HD2 shift kit last week and finished installing it this morning. All I have to say is, WOW! lol.

When your foot is to the floor is chirps the tires from 1st to 2nd, and launches the car forward. I'm very impressed with this kit, and not too hard to install either.

This was my FIRST time braking open a transmission. It's not too bad once you get the valvebody out and start looking at things. The kit comes with very good directions, and even comes with the proper sized drill bits to modify the valve body itself.

Here's a couple pictures I took. as I was pulling everything apart. I forgot to take pictures after I took the valve body itself apart.

Oh, and I got it from summit racing. cost $99
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
vb1.bmp (922.7 KB, 2014 views)
vb2.bmp (922.7 KB, 1846 views)
vb3.bmp (922.7 KB, 1508 views)
vb4.bmp (922.7 KB, 1382 views)
Old 09-23-13, 12:06 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by usoff89
I bought the Trans-go HD2 shift kit last week and finished installing it this morning. All I have to say is, WOW! lol.

When your foot is to the floor is chirps the tires from 1st to 2nd, and launches the car forward. I'm very impressed with this kit, and not too hard to install either.
Wild idea but maybe take a video? I'd say do a before/after but it's a little late now haha
Old 09-23-13, 12:20 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I didn't think about doing a video. haha. But the kit has a couple different options on how you want it to shift. I went with the extreme,,,,,, lol
Old 09-23-13, 01:45 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

here's another picture of the Valve body. I'll see about taking a video tonight on the way home from work.
Attached Thumbnails LS400 shift kit.... installed-vb.png  
Old 09-23-13, 02:24 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by usoff89
Yeah, I didn't think about doing a video. haha. But the kit has a couple different options on how you want it to shift. I went with the extreme,,,,,, lol
So, how does one set these options? And, well, can they be changed easily, or would that result in having to disassemble the transmission again? Also, are kits made for the newer transmissions as well?
Old 09-23-13, 02:29 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

whoa this looks daunting, though that's what i initially thought regarding a timing belt job until i actually did it. i never knew a "shift kit" existed. i opened this thread thinking it was for a manual swap haha. good work sir!
Old 09-23-13, 02:48 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I was searching around and looking for options for the auto, because I DID want to go 5spd. But with my budget, I'm going to stick with the auto for now. There is a thread on the SC forum that I had found and I just bought the same kit that he did. He has some youtube videos of his shift kit installed. I think he had somebody install his, but I figured I'd give it a shot. So far so good. The only mishap I had was one bolt braking on the transmission fluid pan. But it seems to be holding up just fine with no leaks.

As far as setting the shifts. It's a matter of drilling holes into part of the valve body. Not as complicated/scary as it my sound. There are three holes that need to be drilled out. The kit has instructions on how to do it, and what sizes to go with. The different sizes will give you harder or smoother shifts depending on what you want. The kit even comes with the drill bits. So, yes you will have to take everything apart again to change the hole sizes on the valve body. But start small if your worried about having to firm of a shift. I went straight to the biggest one.

The only parts needed to do this are:

shift kit
pan gasket/ or factory sealant
tranny fluid

Now, this list is all that I needed. But you might want to replace the filter while your in there. I just cleaned mine up with some brake fluid. The gasket on the valve body can be re-used because it is metal.
Old 09-23-13, 09:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

not surprised, the SC and mk3/4 supra guys have loved this thing for years.

sadly they don't make one for the later trans :<
Old 09-24-13, 05:42 AM
oldyota
Driver

moe info, pics, links, ect. please
Old 09-24-13, 06:25 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

whoa! - I am impressed!

if you can work on an automatic transmission, you can attack any job on the car!

where did you get all of room under the tranny, do you have a lift?
Old 09-24-13, 08:17 AM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. So far I love this shift kit. Transforms the way the car drives. Now I cant wait to get the 2800 stall in her too. I think the combination will give this car the "umpfff" it needs.

I had to max my jack out, but I managed to get it high enough to have plenty of room. My neighbor has a lift, but he wasnt home and I wanted to get started on it. So with that said, this is truely a do it yourself type job if you are decent will tools.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...o-install.html

^^^^ This is the link from the SC forum which I used for most of my research.^^^^^

I bought my kit from SummitRacing.com and was $99 with free shipping. I didn't use a gasket for the pan like in the link above. I used factory sealant from lexus, I got from a friend.

Here are a couple vids of the way its shifting now. Dont have any before vids, sorry. I'm having some "bogging" down issues once in awhile but in these vids she does pretty good. My CEL light is on, because I'm not running cats.

Old 09-24-13, 10:44 AM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude that is sooo sick! Car sounds good btw!
Old 09-24-13, 12:11 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

wow never knew about this mod. i wonder what the long term effects are? hmm...
Old 09-24-13, 12:22 PM
TexFinn
Driver

Damn! That thing is loud! But it sure also seems to move nicely for being such a big boat.
Old 09-24-13, 01:29 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like a fantastic mod.
Congrats on taking the project on yourself.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sadly they don't make one for the later trans :<
Yes, so very sad.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS400 shift kit.... installed