LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

hi new here!, wanting to semi upgrade all audio things!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 05:47 PM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hi new here!, wanting to semi upgrade all audio things!

hi guys, first post! tried searching a bit but am little lost at this

first off i am proudly an owner of the 1990 LS400, i felt like i got it for a steal so i bought it!

anyways what i want to do w/ the audio but will take time since i want to research more etc.
heres my plans!

stereo: double din, already got that in hand but may upgrade to a better IDK YET!
front speakers: aftermarket idk what sizes fits but will research that!
rear speakers: aftermarket idk what sizes fits but will research that!
Subwoofer: aftermarket subwoofer

AMPS:
a 4channel to power all 4 speakers (or however many speakers are in this car)
a mono channel amp to power my subwoofer

my amp i already have from my old car: alpine mrp-f300 (50rms @ 4ohm per channel)
i had a mono channel amp alpine mrp-m500 (300rms @ 4ohm) but that blew/not working so searching for another one.

Questions:
1. how does a tweeter work? do people have tweeter play sounds and front door speakers subwoofer's??

2. i use to own a civic and had this setup; all i had to do was mate the original factory stereo harness(pig tail) w/ a aftermarket harness(pigtail) then wire the aftermarket harness(pigtail) wires w/ the double din aftermarket stereo's harness(pigtail) (lmk if u can understand that, i can get some pictures to show what i mean on this part) can i do something similar to this OR i have to get the beat-sonic kit thingy thats like 250 bucks...

3. i see theres a pre-mount for the factory subwoofer, should i get a sub to replace that AKA NO BOX or get a sub w/ a box

4. should i get another battery PRIMARILY for the amps itself? or is that a waste?

no more questions as of now but will think of more Later!!!
thanks for your help, i will continue to SEARCH AND EDIT this thread as i find more answers!

Last edited by KiNGD206; 09-14-13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-15-13, 12:14 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

if you are planning to run a substantially higher power amplifier than stock, then you need a second battery, and isolator, and a high output alternator in order to do it right.

why does everyone want to upgrade the LS400 speakers, amp, and sub so fast? - it is a pretty decent sounding system as stock - I can see upgrading the head unit to something more modern, and perhaps installing a real separate sub amp in order to not pay for the beatsonic silliness, but why does everyone assume that any part of the sound system that came with the car is automatically crap?
Old 09-15-13, 04:13 AM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

my speakers r already going to **** lol so yea

could u maybe link me to wat those other things r?
like an example of em
Old 09-15-13, 06:28 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS

why does everyone want to upgrade the LS400 speakers, amp, and sub so fast? -
Come on,.....You remember when you were young, you just want what everyone else has. I used to do the same thing. Whenever I would buy a used car I would change the stereo the next day to the loudest thing I could find. (Waaay before subs were popular) But, as we get older, we wise up and realize that quality sound is much better then your friends being able to hear you coming from a half mile away.
Old 09-15-13, 03:49 PM
KiNGD206
Driver School Candidate

ok so did some reasearch please tell me if im in the right direction or wrong direction!

to setup the aftermarket indash:

i need:
the aftermarket harness mated with the OEM harness:
Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics

the stereo indash kit itself:
Amazon.com: Metra 95-8156 Double DIN Installation Kit for 1990-1994 Lexus LS Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 95-8156 Double DIN Installation Kit for 1990-1994 Lexus LS Vehicles: Car Electronics

QUESTIONS:
to my knowledge beatsonic is only if you want to keep your stock/factory speakers and subwoofers but aftermarket stereo correct? THIS IS MY MAIN CONCERN! help!!!!
what do i do w/ tweeters? is there aftermarket tweeters?
can i remove the stock subwoofer and amp?

how would i go about wiring the amplifier, do i chop up the stock amp wires(aka splice a power, ground wire, and remote wire) and wire it w/ my aftermarket amp's or do i wire up my amp's like there was never a stock amp already?

aka:
get like a long power wire / run it from battery to amp
get like a long remote wire / run it from my aftermarket indash to amp
get liek a mediocre ground wire / find a ground somewhere on my chasis

OR splice up stock amp wire (not totally cut off but just chop a part of the plastic leaving the stock amp harness (piggytail still intact) and wire it meaning SHORTER wires / less headache tearin my car up to wire the power and remote wire?

is there anything im missing? am i in the right direction? am i in a semi right direction but posted something wrong?

Last edited by KiNGD206; 09-15-13 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-15-13, 04:15 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Everything will sound fine with that setup. I have the same wiring harness and just put a 12" in the trunk. The only reason for that is with that harness the stock sub wont work. Without the beatsonic harness the best thing to do imo is just get a new amp and sub.