LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

R-A-P-I-D deceleration from 60mph, otherwise flawless.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 10:51 AM
THXDOC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R-A-P-I-D deceleration from 60mph, otherwise flawless.

Ok, not trying to wear out my welcome here but we almost have the project LS dialed in - bear with me while we work out the last of the kinks- When lifting off the throttle at around 60mph, the car decelerates way more than it should down to about 50 mph. It acts like the trans converter is staying locked under deceleration and maybe shouldn't, or something similar. This would otherwise not even be a factor other than traffic in this area tends to run right in that range so it's rather annoying. Anyone that has followed this project knows I have rebuilt ECU, replaced ECU temp sending unit, new coils, replaced TPS and AFM and a lot of other parts along the way. As I said, the car runs like an absolute champ aside from this small annoyance, but still would like to adjust this little quirk out if possible. Also- had tightened up the throttle cables when I couldn't get power out of the motor, might be a clue? Would like to know the proper tension for those.
Old 09-24-13, 02:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by THXDOC
Also- had tightened up the throttle cables when I couldn't get power out of the motor, might be a clue? Would like to know the proper tension for those.
there are three throttle cables - main, transmission and cruise

they are all there together by the TPS

the correct tension for all of them is the same - kind of a "barely loose" tension - like not taunt, but not totally flopping around either - "slight slop when touched with your finger"

you can watch the main little cam, the cable should move just a bit before the little cam that is tied to the TPS does, as the tiny amount of slack is used up

I don't really know how to precisely explain it, it is a feel thing, like how you learn the feel of pulling on something hard enough to get it loose, but without breaking it
Old 09-24-13, 07:38 PM
THXDOC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Cowboy, you're always there in a pinch. Very accurate description of the cable tension, I appreciate how you stated it. I'll go adjust them to the proper tight lose-ness as you indicated (ha) and post whether the car behaves any differently. regards.
Old 10-03-13, 06:29 PM
THXDOC
Driver School Candidate

Still dropping like a shot goose from 60-50 mph... planning on lubricating throttle cables and or replacing as inspection warrants. If I had to describe it, it's like the throttle return spring is too strong, but it's the OEM unit with 199k on it, so very doubtful that is it. As always, open to any suggestion. Thanks, THXDOC
Old 10-03-13, 06:55 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you don't lube the throttle cable on this car, but if it is like a throttle "stickiness" then clean the butterfly valve with throttle body cleaner (and wear a respirator or set up a big fan or a windy day - that crap gives you cancer & brain damage!)