LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A Last Hope For The Cell Phone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 06:15 AM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Last Hope For The Cell Phone?

I just inherited my dad's 1995 LS400, which comes with the Lexus cell phone (wow!) under the armrest. I assume that the phone used an older technology and network totally unsupported now. Of course I can change the Pioneer "Premium Sound" (wow!) stereo with a $700 system complete with navigation and Bluetooth which I can sync to my phone, but can the phone be saved in any way? Like maybe have a prepaid phone installed. I am wondering what Lexus offered its customers ten years ago when everyone was switching over to today's GSM/CDMA networks.
Old 09-11-13, 08:50 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I can change the Pioneer "Premium Sound" (wow!) stereo with a $700 system complete with navigation and Bluetooth which I can sync to my phone
before you do this, realize that you will need either a new sub amp and some custom wiring or else a $325 beatsonic box, if you want to keep use of the awesome LS400 sub
Old 09-11-13, 12:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
I just inherited my dad's 1995 LS400, which comes with the Lexus cell phone (wow!) under the armrest. I assume that the phone used an older technology and network totally unsupported now. Of course I can change the Pioneer "Premium Sound" (wow!) stereo with a $700 system complete with navigation and Bluetooth which I can sync to my phone, but can the phone be saved in any way? Like maybe have a prepaid phone installed. I am wondering what Lexus offered its customers ten years ago when everyone was switching over to today's GSM/CDMA networks.
no. the old carphones are analog and pretty much useless since the US has no real analog cell companies left.

You can hack it up to be a bluetooth phone but it isn't really legal to use in many states, and inadvisable to use regardless.

many lexus models after 2001 have built in BT.
Old 09-11-13, 05:31 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The 2004 LS430 was the first Lexus that had Bluetooth but only with the optional navigation system.

2003 was the last model year that a dealer installed phone system with a handset was available. It was based on the Nokia CARK-91 phone kit and the only handset supported that would fit in its charging cradle was the GSM-only Cingular/AT&T Nokia 6310i. Up to maybe four years ago, 6310i phones were still a hot commodity on eBay. Unfortunately GSM service back in 2003/2004 was rare except around major cities.

The 2001-2002 model year dealer installed cell phone system was based on a Qualcomm Touchpoint CMDA phone from Sprint. The ending of the relationship between Lexus and Sprint was not pretty.

If your radio is still working well, my suggestion would be to keep it.

If you want nav, consider using a portable which can also give you really wonderful voice control over nav and handsfree phone: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...lan-nokia.html (The nokia handset photo shows the CARK-91 charging cradle that was used in the 2003 LS430 dealer installed phone system.)

I don't know where you live in California but if you live close to them you could deliver your radio head unit and have Factory Radio Service install an aux-in: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...000-ls400.html I can't emphasize how wonderful this aux-in is. The damn thing provides sound quality that I can't tell isn't from a CD. I've stored all my CD's on my phone but mainly stream music from the Internet - mainly from Pandora but also from Slacker, iHeart and Tunein.

And to make using an Android phone in your car even easiler, there is the free iBolt Dock n Drive app: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...k-n-drive.html Dock n Drive has the cool feature of causing your phone to automatically answer when in docking mode. And if you are streaming audio from your phone when a call comes in, the audio is automatically muted. My Galaxy S3 automatically hangs up by itself when a call ends so that means I don't have to touch my phone or the Garmin the call plays through for an incoming call.

You can have lots of features for little money and still keep your OEM Pioneer system.
Old 09-11-13, 10:38 PM
EmpPenguin
Driver

Dude, I was being sarcastic when referring to the Pioneer "Premium Sound" system. That system needs more power and the speakers cannot handle the music I'm playing. I used to be a stereo conoisseur and audiophile back in my early days, and I know what sounds good and what doesn't. I'm the guy who runs hundreds of watts of continuous power from the cleanest amps to seven or eight high-end speakers (tweeters, mid-range, woofers and subwoofers) and crossed them over three ways, while fine-tuning the music with a passive EQ.

Looks like I'll just pull out the phone and simply shell out for the Alpine navigation with Bluetooth.
Old 09-12-13, 02:38 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EmpPenguin
Dude, I was being sarcastic when referring to the Pioneer "Premium Sound" system. That system needs more power and the speakers cannot handle the music I'm playing. I used to be a stereo conoisseur and audiophile back in my early days, and I know what sounds good and what doesn't. I'm the guy who runs hundreds of watts of continuous power from the cleanest amps to seven or eight high-end speakers (tweeters, mid-range, woofers and subwoofers) and crossed them over three ways, while fine-tuning the music with a passive EQ.

Looks like I'll just pull out the phone and simply shell out for the Alpine navigation with Bluetooth.
you are gonna be shelling out for a lot more than that, sounds like you are gonna be installing a new main amp, sub amp and speakers?

if you plan on using the factory sub and factory amp, you will also be shelling out for either a beatsonic kit for $325, or else doing some additional wiring and shelling out for a sub amp at minimum, just replacing the head unit only will lose your factory sub

I'm the guy who runs hundreds of watts of continuous power from the cleanest amps to seven or eight high-end speakers (tweeters, mid-range, woofers and subwoofers) and crossed them over three ways, while fine-tuning the music with a passive EQ.
so you have the finest amps money can buy at home too? - awesome! - someone else besides me with class A single ended triode tube amps! - cool!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-12-13 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 05:27 AM
EmpPenguin
Driver

This is a side note, but I've not been in the world of stereo equipment in over twenty-five years. Is Carver still around for home amps? Who is the leader in amps today?

I will have to start a new thread on stereo, since the phone I will have to pull out.
Old 09-12-13, 07:48 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LScowboy, I would have thought you were using a DeForest Audion :-)
Old 09-12-13, 05:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

To quote the book History of Electron Tubes:

Unlike later vacuum tubes, the primitive Audion had a small amount of gas in the tube, thought to be necessary by De Forest, which limited the dynamic range and gave it nonlinear characteristics and erratic performance
Old 09-16-13, 09:00 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

since were on the topic of sound stereos and tubes, im an audiophile and have been for the last 20 years, I have a insane stereo in my house that's several thousand watts, but my everyday system is/are a pair of HH Scott 7591 based tube amps paired with paradigm sv-2mkII and polk monitor 10 speakers., anyway, for car audio the stock systems in the Ls400 are actually pretty damn good for what they are, I had the factory Nak system in my old 90 and it really rocked! the CD player went out on me and cassettes are unacceptable so I replaced it with a pioneer premier head unit, unfortunately loosing the rear deck sub, so I installed 2 pioneer premier 12' subs with matching amps. it sounded good and had decent bass, but honestly I thought the stock system sounded better, which is unheard of in a 20 something year old car! as for my 95, it has the regular pioneer system and still sounds good but I think the sub is kinda eeeehhh..