LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Low voltage after new battery and new alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 07:24 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fixmiester
Don't blame the alternator until you are POSITIVE the battery is good. I jumped to conclusions a few years ago, blamed the alternator, took it out and had it tested at two places. It was fine. CRAP!! Turns out the cause of low voltage readings while running under load/no load was a flaky cell in the battery. Have THAT tested first.
very shrewd advice
Old 09-12-13, 02:32 AM
bass911
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what it reads at idle

This is what it reads in the trunk while running. I turned up the music and the voltage barely dropped. I still think it should be higher?
Old 09-12-13, 03:07 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

yes, should be higher, more like 13.8V or more, try these two simple fixes first, before buying a new alternator

● a new battery (not kidding)
● this $15 part from any Toyota dealership (the factory + terminal), p/n 90982-05037 (they get hidden corrosion in the inside, robbing power)

although from looking at your pic, your positive battery terminal is a ways from stock, are you using a + battery cable of at least the factory quality and gauge?

the LS400 alternator is kind of on the edge of what is required, just for the car, if it is stock, that is just 80 amps and doesn't really have any extra current for your big mystery extra wire

also, in your pic, where are you taking the measurement? - we can't see where the test leads go!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 09-12-13 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 03:14 AM
simrx3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

load sensative alt. it should be running at 14.1 volts..

is your alternator charge light on the dash working?

the L wire (one of the wires in the 3 pin plug, look at bottom of alt for pinout diagram) to the alternator should be reading exactly what the B+ (large wire terminal) should be. this is when ignition (reds) is on

or the alt isnt sensing any voltage so then it doesnt know what output to put out..

if the globe is blown on the dash this will cause this too..

plus bench test ya alt at ya local auto elec to be certain the alt is ok too

ps just thought too.. on the factory system i think the alt gets an input from the ecu.. so the capacitor issue might be the prob too..

Last edited by simrx3; 09-12-13 at 03:37 AM.
Old 09-12-13, 09:36 AM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
yes, should be higher, more like 13.8V or more, try these two simple fixes first, before buying a new alternator

● a new battery (not kidding)
● this $15 part from any Toyota dealership (the factory + terminal), p/n 90982-05037 (they get hidden corrosion in the inside, robbing power)

although from looking at your pic, your positive battery terminal is a ways from stock, are you using a + battery cable of at least the factory quality and gauge?

the LS400 alternator is kind of on the edge of what is required, just for the car, if it is stock, that is just 80 amps and doesn't really have any extra current for your big mystery extra wire

also, in your pic, where are you taking the measurement? - we can't see where the test leads go!
The battery is new and I don't see any corrosion. I stuck the lead in the positive wire coming from the alt and stuck the negative lead through the wire insulation. The factory wire looks like it is 4 gauge. I'm going to Autozone in a few minutes and I'll get back with you.

This is the trunk but I did the front the same way as far as the leads.
Old 09-12-13, 09:48 AM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by simrx3
load sensative alt. it should be running at 14.1 volts..

is your alternator charge light on the dash working?

the L wire (one of the wires in the 3 pin plug, look at bottom of alt for pinout diagram) to the alternator should be reading exactly what the B+ (large wire terminal) should be. this is when ignition (reds) is on

or the alt isnt sensing any voltage so then it doesnt know what output to put out..

if the globe is blown on the dash this will cause this too..

plus bench test ya alt at ya local auto elec to be certain the alt is ok too

ps just thought too.. on the factory system i think the alt gets an input from the ecu.. so the capacitor issue might be the prob too..
Where is the charge light located? I don't see any dash lights on. Maybe I'm overlooking it.
Old 09-12-13, 10:11 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Aftermarket remans aren't known for quality or consistency - AutoZone uses Delco-Remy as their remanufacturer and their non-GM/non-AC Delco remans use cheap parts. I'd get a Denso instead.

Get the battery checked too - bad batteries cause alternators to work harder and die quicker.
Old 09-12-13, 10:17 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

And if you're running two batteries wired in parallel, I'd run an isolator to keep things charged properly.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0356&ppt=C0061
Old 09-12-13, 01:04 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
And if you're running two batteries wired in parallel, I'd run an isolator to keep things charged properly.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0356&ppt=C0061
I second this advice!
Old 09-12-13, 07:37 PM
bass911
Driver

Back from Autozone. They said the alt is charging but not at what it should be and also said the regulator was bad. Are Duralast alternators junk for our cars or could it be the ecu making the alt appear bad? I don't see any point in replacing a new alternator with the same one just to have the same problems happen again. They also said the battery is only at 75%, but that is the alternator causing that.

Any of these any good?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS400-...0f0911&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-ALTERN...612299&vxp=mtr
Old 09-12-13, 08:39 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bass911
Back from Autozone. They said the alt is charging but not at what it should be and also said the regulator was bad. Are Duralast alternators junk for our cars or could it be the ecu making the alt appear bad? I don't see any point in replacing a new alternator with the same one just to have the same problems happen again. They also said the battery is only at 75%, but that is the alternator causing that.

Any of these any good?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS400-...0f0911&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-ALTERN...612299&vxp=mtr
If it were me, I would get the first one you listed on those ebay links (the 200 amp) and I would get two NEW high quality batteries, Wal-Mart's best battery is made by Johnson Controls and they are pretty good. - I think they are about $80 - if one of your batteries is truly new (purchased in the last few months), go back and swap it for a new one
Old 09-12-13, 10:50 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

What you want is a Denso First Time Fit reman. Yes, stock amperage. But a lot of non-Denso remans aren't that great. You could also try swapping in alternator off an newer Land Cruiser or LX.
Old 09-12-13, 11:05 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
What you want is a Denso First Time Fit reman. Yes, stock amperage. But a lot of non-Denso remans aren't that great. You could also try swapping in alternator off an newer Land Cruiser or LX.
I am a huge fan of Denso quality, as you well know, but the stock 80 amp alternator is just barely enough for the LS400 when a lot of accessories are simultaneously in use!

with the huge cables he has for what are apparently some high current accessories, he seems like the perfect candidate for a high output alternator, especially when it is cheaper than most, these are reman Denso, and the seller seems to have exemplary feedback, and claims to have been a rebuider since 1957, so they are not likely Chinese junk.

I don't see how anyone can expect to run a big high current sound system or whatever and stay with the stock 80A alternator, this makes no sense, electrical engineering-wise!
Old 09-13-13, 05:59 AM
simrx3
Driver

Originally Posted by bass911
Where is the charge light located? I don't see any dash lights on. Maybe I'm overlooking it.

its the battery symbol when you turn your reds on
Old 09-13-13, 06:00 AM
simrx3
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I am a huge fan of Denso quality, as you well know, but the stock 80 amp alternator is just barely enough for the LS400 when a lot of accessories are simultaneously in use!

with the huge cables he has for what are apparently some high current accessories, he seems like the perfect candidate for a high output alternator, especially when it is cheaper than most, these are reman Denso, and the seller seems to have exemplary feedback, and claims to have been a rebuider since 1957, so they are not likely Chinese junk.

I don't see how anyone can expect to run a big high current sound system or whatever and stay with the stock 80A alternator, this makes no sense, electrical engineering-wise!

totally agree

Quick Reply: Low voltage after new battery and new alternator?