LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'93 LS- dead slow=tried everything. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 06:24 PM
THXDOC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do- then I compare the rating to the ones your EE friend from Japan recommends right?
Old 08-22-13, 06:34 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

just provide a list here of the capacitors that are currently soldered in

like: qty 2 Panasonic series FC - 10uF 50V
etc.
Old 08-26-13, 07:24 PM
THXDOC
Driver School Candidate

Default Threw some more parts on then BINGO- found it

Replaced Temperature sender for ECU. Thanks, but not it.

Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator (nope, but thanks).

Noticed car had not one but TWO coils. Tested each independently. Center high mount (coil #2) dead.

Car is running as a four cylinder = no power from takeoff, acceptable at road speed, just like the old Caddy 8-6-4.

Car is not firing four of the eight plugs = gassy smell. Four cylinders are pumping un-burnt fuel through the exhaust system, which by the way has no main cat.

Evap can smells gassy= duh, un-burnt gas being drawn back into can rather than traditional blow by, which was once ignited.

All symptoms related, all one single cause.

It's only as tough as you make it I guess. New coil comes in tomorrow.
Old 08-28-13, 05:44 AM
THXDOC
Driver School Candidate

Default Final Update- Zoom Zoom Zoom. That was it

As the old joke goes, when you throw that many new parts on something, when you finally find it the dang thing will run great- and it does.

Feel silly on the one hand, the bad coil was right on top under my nose.

On the other hand, I'm old school mechanic- why check for spark when you have a car that starts and runs.

Live and learn right?
Old 08-28-13, 07:10 AM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by THXDOC
As the old joke goes, when you throw that many new parts on something, when you finally find it the dang thing will run great- and it does.

Feel silly on the one hand, the bad coil was right on top under my nose.

On the other hand, I'm old school mechanic- why check for spark when you have a car that starts and runs.

Live and learn right?
Congratulations on your success to fix.

Ignition pulses are checked by the monitor circuit in the ECU checking the pulses that have signal names of IGF1 (for the ignition coil #1) and IGF2 (for the ignition coil #2). The voltage level of the pulses were not strictly checked. If the voltage is higher than the certain level, the ECU does not care it and only checking the pulses comparing the drive signals and the pulses generated by the coils and sliced.

IGF stands for IGnition Feedback. Those two signals are digitized in the igniter circuits. When the coil is not functioning, it can be detected by the ECU easily because there comes no pulse and the engine check light is turned on. But semi break down of the coil can not be well checked by that system as long as the voltage level is higher than the set-up level. I imagine that your coil was not fully broken and that made you to spend your extra time and money.

I also imagine that your ignition coil can generate the pulse but that is not high enough to spark at those plugs.

Is it possible for you to measure the resistance of the primary windings and the secondary windings?