LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 09:21 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

no, you remove the the MAF from the car when cleaning it, it is super easy to remove, takes like 60 seconds with air tools

by the way, MAF cleaner is much nicer to work with than throttle body or intake cleaner - it is not the cancer in can that those others are!

but it is not strong enough for cleaning your intake butterfly etc.
Old 10-23-13, 09:32 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

2 and half months with no resolve and another ecu taken out and gone through instead of properly diag'ing the car...awesome
Old 10-23-13, 09:41 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Cowboy

Originally Posted by python
2 and half months with no resolve and another ecu taken out and gone through instead of properly diag'ing the car...awesome
Explain your "Properly Diag'ing the car"...
Old 10-23-13, 10:04 AM
python
Lexus Champion

working towards the ecu being the problem..not away from it. I am also not a fan of throwing parts at a car either which seems to be more prevalent around here than it was prior to 2011..anyways good luck
Old 10-23-13, 10:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

these are the types of posts that are more inclined to produce helpful information
http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300z...pages/O2s.html
and its these procedures that will help anyone towards finding a problem..just sayin
Old 10-23-13, 11:56 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

just sayin
what are you sayin? - I think the dozens of success stories in the ECU caps thread and other threads on here speak for themselves - anyone who hasn't yet realized that ECU capacitors are one of the most common issues on older LS400 and SC models not running or shifting right, has apparently been living under a rock!

Other than the ECU capacitors, unless someone has done something silly, like cleaning an AFM with solvent, or getting the plug wires on out of order, or pinching an important wire like the cam sensor or issues stemming from wire damage from slamming etc. - LS 400 just doesn't tend to have running or shifting issues, making ECU capacitors the number one suspect, as this is, at this point, quite a well-known factory defect!
Old 10-23-13, 12:02 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

from post #55 and from the pic below.
After changing my pre-cat o2's, then pulling the fuse, the running back a scan, no codes are flashing...
Attached Thumbnails 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half-wp_20131010_003.jpg  
Old 10-23-13, 12:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Did you get the caps swapped for the specified ones yet? Granted many of these aging parts is good preventative procedures so it was good to do. OTOH, if the caps alone were the main contributing factor, this was a lot of frustration, $ and time.
Old 10-23-13, 01:04 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
what are you sayin? - I think the dozens of success stories in the ECU caps thread and other threads on here speak for themselves - anyone who hasn't yet realized that ECU capacitors are one of the most common issues on older LS400 and SC models not running or shifting right, has apparently been living under a rock!

Other than the ECU capacitors, unless someone has done something silly, like cleaning an AFM with solvent, or getting the plug wires on out of order, or pinching an important wire like the cam sensor or issues stemming from wire damage from slamming etc. - LS 400 just doesn't tend to have running or shifting issues, making ECU capacitors the number one suspect, as this is, at this point, quite a well-known factory defect!
look im not taking anything away from u and ur work here cowboy..u r an asset here no doubt, but...u tell people about the caps on every single post u make and make it seem that its an end all resolve. u also tell people who have little experience or knowledge to replce their caps and when it doesn't solve the issue u say..well maybe it wasn't done correctly or used the wrong caps..i believe it would be much more helpful if u guided them in the right direction on how to determine if the ecm is in fact the culprit...that's my only issue,other than that, u have gone beyond what most do around here...its like my boss who is smart, but his issue is he thinks he knows everything and when I prove him wrong he will go to extremes to prove he is right..he knows a lot but doesn't know everything
Old 10-23-13, 08:20 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

I have changed all of my caps in my ECU...though it did not solve the problem in its entirety, it solved many other minor issues to which I didnt and wouldnt even think could have been the ECU....
Old 10-24-13, 04:42 AM
python
Lexus Champion

such as?????????????
Old 10-24-13, 09:05 AM
fsuguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by python
look im not taking anything away from u and ur work here cowboy..u r an asset here no doubt, but...u tell people about the caps on every single post u make and make it seem that its an end all resolve. u also tell people who have little experience or knowledge to replce their caps and when it doesn't solve the issue u say..well maybe it wasn't done correctly or used the wrong caps..i believe it would be much more helpful if u guided them in the right direction on how to determine if the ecm is in fact the culprit...that's my only issue,other than that, u have gone beyond what most do around here...its like my boss who is smart, but his issue is he thinks he knows everything and when I prove him wrong he will go to extremes to prove he is right..he knows a lot but doesn't know everything
I would have to chip in here - unless the ECU is FIRST functioning correctly and the problem is clearly diagnosable WITHOUT depending upon the ECU for help, then the first course of action MUST be to fix the ECU!!! So, I would have to agree with LScowboy here. You cannot depend upon a faulty ECU for accurate diagnoses, that is a no-brainer! And, as he has pointed out, repeatedly, with the age of these machines, the likelihood of the caps being a source of the problem is more than even, so I would consider his suggestions from that perspective. If you don't care for anyone's helpful suggestions, you can always post an alternative suggestion, if you have any!!! And, by the way, pointing to another link as an model, I think reeks of superiority
Old 10-24-13, 12:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

guys keep to topic.

While the ECU is a somewhat common issue, it is not, and should not, be the first thing to be replaced/fixed. I've seen a fairly large number of threads and far more often than not people throw multiple parts at the car then try to pin success on any single one of them.

While repairing the ECU may be good practice for some on a 1st/early 2nd gen, it should by no means be the first step diagnosis in place of going through relevent components (ie- ignition/fuel systems, etc... depending on the issue).
Old 10-24-13, 01:38 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

guys keep to topic.
getting MattLS400's car working is the topic, and we're on it, baby!

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
guys keep to topic.

While the ECU is a somewhat common issue, it is not, and should not, be the first thing to be replaced/fixed. I've seen a fairly large number of threads and far more often than not people throw multiple parts at the car then try to pin success on any single one of them.
sorry PD, but on 92-97 models especially, this problem is so pervasive, that if your caps have not been replaced, then the information your ECU is giving you is likely unreliable!

While repairing the ECU may be good practice for some on a 1st/early 2nd gen, it should by no means be the first step diagnosis in place of going through relevent components (ie- ignition/fuel systems, etc... depending on the issue).
you must have a baseline known good ECU in order to properly diagnose any problem more complex than a disconnected plug wire or broken belt - this is a very common issue that afflicts ALL LS models through year 2000 eventually, just consider it like a recall, which it would be if these cars weren't so old. - 1997 and earlier models are at like emergency status, like driving around on bald tires with the cords showing through!

It amazes me how people will understand something like "hey your strut bar bushings are bad, they all go bad", or "your transmission mounts are bad, they always go bad prematurely", but when it comes to ECU caps, even otherwise intelligent people are in denial!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-24-13 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 05:43 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Incidentally, does your Celsior have the correct ECU or does it have all correct sensors?

I have seen some Celsiors which were installed unusual ECU or sensors by mechanics who were desperate to fix the car. Other than those, I also have seen damaged connectors or wires caused by the rough handling. Some mechanics even replace the ECU without disconnecting the battery cable and it often partially damages the ECU. Some of them are not familiar to electronics and they amaze me often.

I say, "Don't do that." But they say, "What's wrong?"

For some of them, what they can't see by their eyes are beyond their understandings. Electrons can be only seen using measuring equipments, you know.

Modern cars use variety of technologies and are designed by engineers from different fields. But it is hard for those who do the repair job understanding everything. They sometimes mess the car up. I had some bad experience with them and I mostly fix cars around me myself. I even fix cars at shops as a volunteer time to time. Shop owners invite me for a good dinner as well as they allow me to use tools and equipments though.

I don't know the history of your Celsior but what I worry about is that yours is one of those which was given up to repair by mechanics in Japan.

Quick Reply: 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half