LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half

Old 09-18-13, 01:17 PM
KYLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MattLS400,
The caps are less than $10 (that includes shipping).
Compared to everything else you've done - this is chump change.
Regarless of whether it fixes your issue - I'm a believer in Yamae and Cowboy - your car will need the caps changed.

Good Luck - and let us know...
Old 09-18-13, 01:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

it's funny how many skeptics we had at first, and how many people are thanking us now! - I guess folks have a hard time believing something that isn't taught in mechanic's school!
Old 09-29-13, 09:25 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
it's funny how many skeptics we had at first, and how many people are thanking us now! - I guess folks have a hard time believing something that isn't taught in mechanic's school!
A girl is changing capacitors of a Samsung TV at below.

This is about a TV. The ECU is slightly difficult but it is strange to me that boys can't do that.

I worry about the shorter life of many consumer products made at East Asian countries. Especially electrolytic capacitors have shorter life compared with Japanese ones. Electrolytic capacitors are widely used even in a coffee maker to control the temperature precisely these days. Of course a TV has many of them. LED lights use them too. LEDs last much longer than electrolytic capacitors and I am currently busy asked by my friends to fix the power circuits of LED lights made in China.

You'd better practice to change those capacitors using an ECU for a LS400.
Old 10-01-13, 05:10 AM
triniboy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problem is ny temp on the computer is reading -7degrees I changed out the computer I also changed out the temp sensors and still i am consuming a lot of gass still because my temp is not reading correct what do you think
Old 10-01-13, 05:22 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you changed the 2-wire engine coolant temperature sensor under the hood near the passenger side coil and you used the real Toyota part from the dealership like you should?

what year is the car? - how much did you pay for the part and where did you buy it?
Old 10-01-13, 07:43 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just an Update, with reference to advice from this thread;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...problem-2.html

Originally Posted by MattLS400
After running my 1996 LS400 for approximately 15 minutes afternoon, which ran like a beast might I add...But was enough time to let the temperature reach the half-mark level, and then its back to my common nightmare these days....Rough Idle, followed by a shutting off of my 1UZ...

(See Post #1 of my thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s-to-half.html )

As advised ( and thankfully I am as a matter of fact, by Yamae and LSCowboy )

I have replaced the Fuel Pump Relay with a "direct" or "jumper wire" as indicated in the picture to the further below. However, to my dismay the situation is not improved and the rough idling still persists. Meaning the Jumper wire did not solve the problem. Therefore I guess my Fuel Pump ( which I replaced with a genuine new Toyota Fuel pump last week) and my Fuel Pump Resistor are in good working condition ??
Old 10-01-13, 07:53 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
A girl is changing capacitors of a Samsung TV at below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l0AUj8QUkg

This is about a TV. The ECU is slightly difficult but it is strange to me that boys can't do that.

I worry about the shorter life of many consumer products made at East Asian countries. Especially electrolytic capacitors have shorter life compared with Japanese ones. Electrolytic capacitors are widely used even in a coffee maker to control the temperature precisely these days. Of course a TV has many of them. LED lights use them too. LEDs last much longer than electrolytic capacitors and I am currently busy asked by my friends to fix the power circuits of LED lights made in China.

You'd better practice to change those capacitors using an ECU for a LS400.
I am yet to find a trusted Technician that I would place my ECU in the hands of. This is Neuro-surgery we're talking about here ! But It must be done nevertheless.

After having come to the conclusion that my car is a 1996 JDM Celsior, would it mean that I would require a different set of Capacitors from what LSCowboy specified in his thread ;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html

as

1995-97 LS400 requiring 6 caps as follows:

Qty. 2 of 10uF - 50v
Qty. 1 of 47uF - 63v
Qty. 2 of 100uF - 10v
Qty. 1 of 220uF - 16v
Old 10-01-13, 08:32 PM
fsuguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I think you will benefit from following the advice given by both LScowboyLS, Yamae, and several others who have advised changing out the caps. They have listed the year/models and the capacitors that should be ordered and replaced. If you have any doubts, look up the thread on ECU and you will realize that your engine issues are very likely linked directly to the failed/failing caps.

I have just changed 9 caps in my ECU and resolved odd behaviors with CEL intermittent and random bursts of low power output - all based on trusting the information from these very generous folks. Granted, the task of swapping out the caps is not for the fainthearted, but it should be done, and done correctly with the right caps and equipment.

Good Luck!
Old 10-04-13, 08:56 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

I have contacted my electrician (who was highly recommended by my local dealership) to inquire whether or not any work was done on the ECU. He then told me all capacitors were changed, as well as a full inspection was conducted on the entire board...with the same voltage and microfarad caps, however, I highly doubt that the recommended LOW ESR type capacitors by LScowboy were used....

I guess the only way to find out is to take pictures and upload !

I am currently looking for the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) for this 1UZ-FE or even a part number would be helpful ...thanks
Old 10-04-13, 12:10 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I have contacted my electrician (who was highly recommended by my local dealership) to inquire whether or not any work was done on the ECU. He then told me all capacitors were changed, as well as a full inspection was conducted on the entire board...with the same voltage and microfarad caps, however, I highly doubt that the recommended LOW ESR type capacitors by LScowboy were used....

I guess the only way to find out is to take pictures and upload !

I am currently looking for the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) for this 1UZ-FE or even a part number would be helpful ...thanks
You can find all the parts, and part numbers, that you need at; http://www.sewellparts.com
I don't think you'd want to pay dealer price for a new one but you can clean and rebuild yours. (if it's bad)
Old 10-04-13, 03:24 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

96 LS400 has issues with IACV bearing failure, but you can verify this with the tests in the factory service manual!
Old 10-10-13, 08:13 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

96 LS400 has issues with IACV bearing failure, but you can verify this with the tests in the factory service manual!
According to the tests in the factory service manual,

http://www.ls400.ru/lexus-89-2000/il...f/iacv/ovi.pdf

My IACV on my 1996 Celsior is working. Nevertheless, I removed it in its entirety and serviced it. It was very dirty.

However, this is not the solution to my problem. The rough idling once the engine is warm still persists.
Old 10-10-13, 08:27 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

From the following picture, using an OBD 1 Toyota Codes Scanner;

Codes 21 and 28 are coming up.
I believe these are 21- MAIN OXYGEN SENSOR
and 28 RIGHT OXYGEN SENSOR

Please provide me with a part number or an e-bay link to source these 2 sensors new please.
Attached Thumbnails 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half-wp_20131010_002.jpg  
Old 10-11-13, 01:06 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

From the following picture, using an OBD 1 Toyota Codes Scanner;

Codes 21 and 28 are coming up.
I believe these are 21- MAIN OXYGEN SENSOR
and 28 RIGHT OXYGEN SENSOR

Please provide me with a part number or an e-bay link to source these 2 sensors new please.
the codes are:

21 = Main oxygen sensor signal (on left bank)
28 = Main oxygen sensor signal (on right bank)

● these are both of your MAIN O2 sensors (i.e. the ones between catalytic converter and engine, also known as pre-cat)
● make sure your mechanic changes the correct pair - don't worry about the ones after the catalytic converter (known as post-cat or tattletale O2 sensors) unless you live in an area with emission standards.

● the Denso part number for both of them is 234-4169 - so you will need to order quantity two of these - best deal is at amazon

● normally I would advise more testing to make certain these have gone bad, but on a nearly 20 year old car, it's time to replace this most important of all sensors, this is the main sensor that affects how the car runs!

O2 sensors have it rough, they get hit with hot dirty exhaust their whole life and still are expected to report critical information! - I have included a photo of this exact Denso 234-4169 sensor.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-11-13 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 05:51 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

the codes are:

21 = Main oxygen sensor signal (on left bank)
28 = Main oxygen sensor signal (on right bank)

● these are both of your MAIN O2 sensors (i.e. the ones between catalytic converter and engine, also known as pre-cat)
● make sure your mechanic changes the correct pair - don't worry about the ones after the catalytic converter (known as post-cat or tattletale O2 sensors) unless you live in an area with emission standards.

● the Denso part number for both of them is 234-4169 - so you will need to order quantity two of these - best deal is at amazon

● normally I would advise more testing to make certain these have gone bad, but on a nearly 20 year old car, it's time to replace this most important of all sensors, this is the main sensor that affects how the car runs!

O2 sensors have it rough, they get hit with hot dirty exhaust their whole life and still are expected to report critical information! - I have included a photo of this exact Denso 234-4169 sensor.

Thanks Cowboy!
Query: According to your Amazon link, it doesnt fit a 1996 LS400

Denso 234-4169 Oxygen Sensor : Amazon.com : Automotive Denso 234-4169 Oxygen Sensor : Amazon.com : Automotive

Also, seeing that I need Main O2 Sensor ( Left Bank) and Right O2 Sensor (Right Bank)
would it make a difference if I state that my car is RHD ? or would these said pre-cat sensors be the same on both RHD and LHD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1UZ Engine Shutting off when temperature rises to half