LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Story of my first Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 05:35 PM
Eskil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Story of my first Lexus

first off i want to intoduce myself, my name is jesus and im in so cal.
i recently purchased a 95 ls400 and right after handing the guy the cash i drove it home for about 10min then suddenly the timing belt broke. keep in mind that the day before me and my buddy went to test drive it and everything seemed fine. anyways after having my mechanic replace the timing belt. turns out 3 cylinders are bad. meaning something bent after the belt broke. so now im stuck with the choice of either having this rebuilt. or buying a new engine. i found a replacement engine for $550 and i dont know exactly how much my mechanic is going to charge me in swapping it. any opinions on what i should do? rebuild heads and valves? or just go with the swap.
Thanks and im looking forward to being part of this forum.
Old 08-14-13, 05:37 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OUCH!!!!!!!Welcome!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-13, 05:42 PM
Eskil
Driver School Candidate

lol thanks UNCNOR
Old 08-14-13, 05:45 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

honestly,

$550 isnt bad for a motor. and swaping the motor is easier (IMO) than tearing off the heads and replacing valves.

thats if thats all that is wrong.

you could have easily ruined the heads, pistons.

so you basicaly are looking at tearing the motor out, tearing the motor apart, finding used heads in good condition, I would get the heads resurfaced,

then taking out the rotating assembly, getting new pistons, might as well do a whole rebuild at that point.

then put it back together and throw it in the car.

or just buy a used running motor for $550 and be done with it. dont forget to do the timing belt on the new (used) motor. you already bought it.
Old 08-14-13, 05:46 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just swap the motor. You will most likely have more into rebuilding the heads with new valves than you would just swapping the motor over. Also these motors are built very solid, so chances of you getting a motor that will last are pretty high.

Just make sure the new (used) motor has a new T-belt and water pump on it before you have it put in. A lot easier our of the car.
Old 08-14-13, 06:40 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Sorry to hear the bad news. I killed a car in 4 days once (when I was young and dumb) but 10 minutes of driving is really bad. Just goes to show you, ya never know when the t-belt is gonna go. That's why it's regular maintenance. I agree with the motor swap. Alot cheaper and quicker. But pull out the T-belt and water pump (and whatever else is new) from this engine and put it in the new engine while it's still out of the car. How much did you pay for the car and how many miles?
One more thing. How much do you trust this mechanic? He should have known to check the valves and such before changing the t-belt, knowing that it's an interferance engine. What did he charge you to change the T-belt/WP?
Old 08-14-13, 06:40 PM
Eskil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rick1987
honestly,

$550 isnt bad for a motor. and swaping the motor is easier (IMO) than tearing off the heads and replacing valves.

thats if thats all that is wrong.

you could have easily ruined the heads, pistons.

so you basicaly are looking at tearing the motor out, tearing the motor apart, finding used heads in good condition, I would get the heads resurfaced,

then taking out the rotating assembly, getting new pistons, might as well do a whole rebuild at that point.

then put it back together and throw it in the car.

or just buy a used running motor for $550 and be done with it. dont forget to do the timing belt on the new (used) motor. you already bought it.
swapping motor is what im leaning towards, thanks guys. hopefully everything goes good. i really want to drive this baby already. it kills me seeing it dead in my driveway everymorning!
Old 08-14-13, 06:44 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Change it out. These cars are worth the work.

As said before, there is a good chance that other parts of the engine were demolished as well.
Old 08-14-13, 06:48 PM
Eskil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Sorry to hear the bad news. I killed a car in 4 days once (when I was young and dumb) but 10 minutes of driving is really bad. Just goes to show you, ya never know when the t-belt is gonna go. That's why it's regular maintenance. I agree with the motor swap. Alot cheaper and quicker. But pull out the T-belt and water pump (and whatever else is new) from this engine and put it in the new engine while it's still out of the car. How much did you pay for the car and how many miles?
One more thing. How much do you trust this mechanic? He should have known to check the valves and such before changing the t-belt, knowing that it's an interferance engine. What did he charge you to change the T-belt/WP?
paid $2800 for the car with 180k on the odom
and the mechanic is my cousin. paid $500 for parts which was the timing belt kit w/water pump and some sensors that needed to be changed as well
Old 08-14-13, 07:01 PM
Eskil
Driver School Candidate

Here she is btw
Attached Thumbnails Story of my first Lexus-image-1394702188.jpg  
Old 08-14-13, 09:34 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

change the timing belt on the new engine too! - and might wanna let someone besides your cousin do it, as he should have caught that before doing any work!

to save you some money, here is a link to the complete timing belt and water pump kit using all of the real Toyota dealership OEM parts!! - this is a steal, like getting $600 or $800 in parts for less than $200 - yay! - Even the hydraulic tensioner is included, something most kits leave out!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-14-13 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 09:47 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

since you had some really rotten luck, I am willing to do your ECU capacitors at no charge, when the time comes, and it will!

It's good karma!
Old 08-15-13, 10:10 AM
Eskil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
since you had some really rotten luck, I am willing to do your ECU capacitors at no charge, when the time comes, and it will!

It's good karma!
Thanks on the advice!. And im sure going to bring that ECU when it starts leaking!
Old 08-15-13, 11:39 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well the point is, you didn't do anything wrong here, I have bought LS400's and other cars in Florida, and driven them back home to Alabama, so I am quite sympathetic to anyone who has had something happen that could have happened to me!
Old 08-15-13, 11:57 AM
Eskil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
well the point is, you didn't do anything wrong here, I have bought LS400's and other cars in Florida, and driven them back home to Alabama, so I am quite sympathetic to anyone who has had something happen that could have happened to me!
Yea I guess it was just my bad luck. But hey everyone says these cars last forever with the right maintenance. So lets see what this LS has to offer after the engine is swapped.

Quick Reply: Story of my first Lexus