LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 05:27 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

$50??

you need to go and kiss this guy and offer your daughter's hand in marriage!

I would be only marginally interested in this biitch of a job at $200!
Old 08-22-13, 05:45 PM
SC93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
$50??

you need to go and kiss this guy and offer your daughter's hand in marriage!

I would be only marginally interested in this biitch of a job at $200!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the guy was overloaded with tv sets in his shop (big lightning activity here lately) and i did not want to ask him what he meant when he said i had to melt the solder to get to the screws to replace the 47 um. i guessed he meant removing the lower circuit board which u said was not removable. did he go overboard to get to it?? just curious.

re price for job..my overwhelming personality gets my foot into the door often..however, yet to figure out how to please the wife..still wants me to dump my pride and joy of 20 yrs.

PS drone ...follow up on ecu as potential prob.

Last edited by SC93; 08-22-13 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 06:17 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you do have to melt the solder, although vice grips is the easier way

I would give him at least $150 in order to sleep good at night! - the SC400 ECU is a royal pain in the ***!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 08-23-13 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 06:41 PM
SC93
Rookie

you do have to melt the solder, although vice grips is the easier way

I would give him at least $150 in order to sleep good at night! - the SC400 is a royal pain in the ***!

some good people left in this world...he would not accept more than my double offer. said he
gained experience working on a "brain" as he referred to it. i'm not turnip truck material
and realized the good job he did but wasn't going to cram it(extra bucks )down his
throat but did say to him it will come back his way via future business by word of mouth.
Old 08-22-13, 07:37 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by SC93
some good people left in this world...he would not accept more than my double offer. said he
gained experience working on a "brain" as he referred to it. i'm not turnip truck material
and realized the good job he did but wasn't going to cram it(extra bucks )down his
throat but did say to him it will come back his way via future business by word of mouth.
I found three good old Americans are here.
Old 08-23-13, 02:34 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
I found three good old Americans are here.

Yamae..

thank you for your contributions to this forum

i have many fond memories of my several trips to Japan for technical exchanges in the early 70's
with regard to the synthetic fiber industry. the hospitality and friendliness of your people was
beyond reproach. i eventually became a consummate sake drinker.
Old 08-23-13, 04:23 PM
drone6
Driver School Candidate

Glad you got your car working sc93 - and you did indeed find a good honest work soul to help you.

So I finally go to take my ecu out and was really hoping for some noticeable capacitor damage. I open up all the screws on it and looked at both boards. Both clean as a whistle and I can't notice any bad capacitors.

You guys still think it's worth getting the caps replaced?
Attached Thumbnails MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.-img_20130823_175321_711.jpg   MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.-img_20130823_175404_432.jpg   MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.-img_20130823_175500_291.jpg   MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.-img_20130823_175601_530.jpg   MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.-img_20130823_175651_726.jpg  

Old 08-23-13, 05:39 PM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by drone6
Glad you got your car working sc93 - and you did indeed find a good honest work soul to help you.

So I finally go to take my ecu out and was really hoping for some noticeable capacitor damage. I open up all the screws on it and looked at both boards. Both clean as a whistle and I can't notice any bad capacitors.

You guys still think it's worth getting the caps replaced?

You guys still think it's worth getting the caps replaced?[/QUOTE]

========================================

drone.. that is one clean looking board. cowboy's opinion would be much more appropriate
than my comments but my board was pristine like yours except for some micro orange dots
under a couple of the caps. my service man said the two with small leakage were basically
shot and the others were weak although they looked normal.

=============================================

your problems mirror the ones i went thru. the one problem issue that made me bite the bullet
and do the ecu rebuild was cowboy's list of trouble areas normally caused by faulty ecu's
and one was a poor and unpredictable speedometer performance. mine was totally out of
whack and after the ecu rebuild, it came back to normal as did all other performance issues.

how old is your car?? mine is 20 and probably way overdue for an ecu breakdown especially
since i live in "hot" Florida.

Personally, since you went to the trouble to take the unit out, i would follow thru with the caps
change. if u need the car, just plug it back in and drive until the caps come in..a big $ 10
outlay when ordered from cb's recommended site. find a good tv/computer tech and go for
the rebuild and even if it does not solve the issues, u basically have a functional upgraded
unit that should be good for many yrs down the road.
Old 08-24-13, 12:36 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

tale of caution:

when my LS400 started started having strange issues, I thought of ECU capacitors, as I have been fixing this problem on cars going back to even the 1990's on Nissan's, Mitsubishi's and others, however when I opened up the ECU, it looked perfect inside, so I was like

fast forward 6 months, same car problems are getting much worse, and I had a mental bock about pulling the ECU back out again to look, because I would say to myself "Already checked that!"

at my wit's end with the car, I forced myself to check the ECU again, and in only 6 months time, major leakage and damage from the corrosive electrolyte around 3 of the capacitors!

so yes, change them even if they look perfect, it almost cost me my ECU, besides, these caps have a known factory defect, and even if they didn't, they have a service life of about 12 years and even a 2000 LS400 is 14 years old now!
Old 09-27-13, 04:04 PM
drone6
Driver School Candidate

Got my ecu back today and .........#$@%#$%#$%$#@%#$@%. Still same issues as before. Now what.
Old 09-27-13, 04:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well ruling out the ECU definitely simplifies what the problems can possibly be - run the car and recheck what the new codes are, now that you have a known good ECU

how to dump the diagnostic codes
Old 09-27-13, 04:55 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by drone6
Got my ecu back today and .........#$@%#$%#$%$#@%#$@%. Still same issues as before. Now what.
This is why alot of people are hesitant about doing the ECU caps fix. Even though the caps are only around $10, it's the $200 labor to fix it that some people can't afford. But, it has helped alot of people so if it's something you can afford, you might as well get it done so you have piece of mind that it's good.
Old 09-27-13, 05:24 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deanshark
This is why alot of people are hesitant about doing the ECU caps fix. Even though the caps are only around $10, it's the $200 labor to fix it that some people can't afford. But, it has helped alot of people so if it's something you can afford, you might as well get it done so you have piece of mind that it's good.
well the other reason to do it, especially if you have a car in the 92-97 year model range that is so heavily affected, is that often, by the time you catch the leaking, the corrosive damage has ruined the ECU circuit board, so now you get to buy another ECU and have the caps fixed.

I think a lot of the decision should be based on the value of your car, if it's nice, then have it done proactively, because it will become an issue at some point, but if it is a $1500 beater, then I would probably take my chances and not fix it until I had to!
Old 09-27-13, 06:13 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I think a lot of the decision should be based on the value of your car, if it's nice, then have it done proactively, because it will become an issue at some point, but if it is a $1500 beater, then I would probably take my chances and not fix it until I had to!
Exactly!!!! That's why I haven't done mine. The problems I have with mine, I just live with now. (Only a couple tiny problems) When it stops running, I fix it. I was never one to put alot of money into my cars. Just fix what I need to just enough to get me to work. (And sometimes home ) I work construction, so my cars dont usually last forever. I'm surprised, this one lasted 4 years already.
Old 10-01-13, 05:06 PM
drone6
Driver School Candidate

Finally had a chance to get the codes, it read:

24 - intake air temp. sensor signal.

31 - air flow meter signal.

Which really really bites. I disconnected the battery a few times and triple checked, same codes every time. I thought I was past this with the used MAF I had replaced, it certainly seemed like it a month ago.

Quick Reply: MAF sensor replaced but still having issues.