LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

studio camber roll center adjusters (RCA)

Old 08-25-14, 11:17 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

thanks for the contribution! i wish the NRCAs didn't push out the wheels. it makes fitment that much harder with them, but as they say, style hurts!

i was able to hold in my hands the t-demand and 326power NRCAs (thanks to final stage parts) and i can definitely report that they are FAR superior in quality over the studio versions. they are MUCH heavier, i'd say 2x heavier, though i have no doubt the studio units will continue to work just fine! what i like about studio NRCAs is the replaceable nut, whereas the others utilize threaded holes.
Old 08-30-14, 08:47 AM
TMAdash1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
thanks for the contribution! i wish the NRCAs didn't push out the wheels. it makes fitment that much harder with them, but as they say, style hurts!

i was able to hold in my hands the t-demand and 326power NRCAs (thanks to final stage parts) and i can definitely report that they are FAR superior in quality over the studio versions. they are MUCH heavier, i'd say 2x heavier, though i have no doubt the studio units will continue to work just fine! what i like about studio NRCAs is the replaceable nut, whereas the others utilize threaded holes.
Yea I was pretty surprised at how heavy duty they were aswell, I guess the only way to get the camber without the increased track width is to spend the dough on some arms.

Went to a 215/40 in front (18x10) and aligned this morning, still at -6.5 in the rear but got it up to -6 on the front, finally decent camber all around All around I'm super happy with my NCRAs

studio camber roll center adjusters (RCA)-wyvxiwgl.jpg
Old 02-22-23, 12:59 AM
JohnnyGS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What you should know regarding mounting bolts.

I build RCAs for the early LS, all GS models and all IS models, and wanted to share some insight regarding mounting bolts. Grade 12.9 is equivalent to the grade 11 bolts used by the factory for.... MOUNTING THE BALLJOINT TO THE KNUCKLE. The 8.8, 10.9, and 12.9 is an ISO Fastener Standard used in the U.S., the spec in Japan is JIS which has different naming conventions. The only hardware used on suspension is equivalent to grade 10.9 and 12.9 only. Grade 8.8 is basically mild steel that has low tensile strength and is usually a low to medium carbon steel which makes it more susceptible to SHEARING. Grade 12.9, the only bolts I use, are high carbon steel that are hardened and then drawn back in the heat treat process so they are strong and have a high yield point. This allows them to flex and give when the force applied exceeds their tensile strength. I have seen this with a few customers who did not torque their bolts to spec, one IS300 was traveling at 40mph and completely lost one bolt and the remaining bolt was all that held the spindle to the lower balljoint allowing them to safely stop the vehicle. I have the bolt right here, the shank is bent, but the threads did not shear. And, for M12x1.25 Grade 12.9 bolts... The maximum torque is upwards of 110 lbf-ft, give or take 5% depending on the shank length. I began selling hardware kits because I had people hitting me up asking for better hardware because the bolts that came with their RCAs (usually from Megan) and failed and caused damage that they didn't want to have to fix again. Be wary of companies that sell RCAs, if you think you are getting a good deal always ask about the hardware. I never cut corners and ship anything but the best hardware with full ISO traceability on it, I don't believe in selling sub-standard parts especially when those parts could cause injury or death to someone if they fail. Anyone needing RCAs for their LS400, GS300/400/430, or IS250/300/350 should check out what I have to offer. If you have questions I invite you to hit me up as I am always happy to help answer them. Everything I sell is built in-house by me at my shop in Arlington, TX and I guarantee every product I sell against defects in material or workmanship for life. My prices are not too bad either, I can save you money and I guarantee you will not have to worry about part failures because I don't sell anything that I would not feel safe running on my own car. I actually have a set of 25mm RCAs on my GS that have been on there for a year, and before those I had 17mm RCAs that I had been running for three years and almost 70k miles. Questions? Hit me up on IG or Facebook, @modernconceptsperformanceTX or just text: John Bacsik, 682 554 3726. If you want to see what I have to offer, check out my eBay store https://www.ebay.com/str/modernconceptsperformance.

This is the bolt that saved my customer's IS300 from serious damage. That sure does not seem brittle to me...

Grade 12.9, optimum torque is 87 lbf-ft. Too much torque and the bolt has no room to flex when hit with a hard shock that exceeds its tensile strength, my value is only 4 lbf-ft above the factory spec to compensate for shank length. Longer the shank, the more torque is needed due to twisting of the shank while the steel is in tension.