LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I need to find vss wire for double din Navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 04:37 PM
bass911
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question I need to find vss wire for double din Navigation?

I know where everything else is except this one wire. I think it's behind the glovebox? The car is a 1997 model coach edition. I'm installing it tonight if I find this wire or not.

I also wanted to know what these plugs are under the radio. It seems like one of these might be the vss wire?

Old 08-02-13, 06:24 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

A purple white wire on my 92. Left side under dash driver side.
Old 08-02-13, 06:38 PM
bass911
Driver

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
A purple white wire on my 92. Left side under dash driver side.
Do they have different wiring diagrams? I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the panel under the steering wheel?
Old 08-02-13, 10:21 PM
dsierra25
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No the harness for the Lexus 1997 is on the passenger side there is a factory sub remove or bypass and wire your double din through that. I have the same exact car and put a double din in my is was a headache.... Bc they stopped making the harness for our vehicle ( sadly only our model too)
Old 08-02-13, 10:41 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Check this out. Seems like 97 was the cutoff for wiring styles. It helped me for my 92.

http://www.lextreme.com/wiring.htm
Old 08-03-13, 11:39 AM
bass911
Driver

Thanks. I figured it was behind the glovebox on the cruise control ecu.
Old 08-04-13, 03:40 AM
bass911
Driver

I found the vss/speed sensor wire behind the glovebox. Here are the pics.

In the far right corner is the Cruise Control Ecu with the letter A on it

It is a Purple wire with White stripe

Old 08-04-13, 04:09 AM
bass911
Driver

It is almost finished. I just installed the radio, 3 sets of rca cable, and rearview video cable. I don't have any sound yet, but amps and door speakers are going in tomorrow.

Illumination works

Headlights off

I know most Lexus owners are satisfied with factory sound but I can't take it. The Lexus cd changer doesn't even work, but I stopped listening to cds a long time ago. The only thing that worked was FM/AM radio. I had to get rid of this useless radio asap.
Old 08-04-13, 12:14 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome Job man!

I am in the same boat as you.

My cd player took a dump and the stock stereo just isn't enough for me.

Take more pics of the install. I would love to check it out.

I will probably be doing this in about a month.

I'm interested in where you run your wires to the trunk (rca's, power, and back up camera).
Old 08-05-13, 12:00 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rick1987
I'm interested in where you run your wires to the trunk (rca's, power, and back up camera).
I'm interested in this too lol. Though, I'm guessing he ran all of the "signal" (e.g. RCAs, reverse camera, etc.) wires on the right side and under the door scuff plates(?) and the power wires through the left side in the same manner.
Old 08-05-13, 05:01 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

I ran wires straight up the middle. Fished under the carpet under the backseat to trunk area. Course it was only the rear camera and gps wires.
Old 08-07-13, 01:06 AM
bass911
Driver

Here are a few more shots for the people out there that think aftermarket looks bad compared to stock. It took me almost 2 hours of adjusting the radio to get the right fit, and I'm experienced. This is also my 3rd Lexus install. It didn't go as quick as expected, but I really don't have the time to work on it.

Old 08-07-13, 01:40 AM
bass911
Driver

Back to what you guys asked for.

The rca's, remote wire, gps antenna, and rearview video cable are ran down the right side of the car. The 4 gauge power wire is on the driver's side. I use wire clothes hanger to feed my cables. I didn't finish running rearview video cable yet.

I ran the wires behind the glovebox then down the side

I removed the entire backseat. There isn't really a hole where you see me running my wire through. I tore the plastic off and ran the wires through the hole with a clothes hanger.

Wire is coming through trunk area and you have to pull out the lining at the back to get to the wire.

Shot before removed the backseat. You will get nowhere without removing the back seat.
Old 08-07-13, 02:10 AM
bass911
Driver

I don't recommend running your power wire the way I did unless you are skilled or patient. It wasn't easy. It will drive you crazy because it takes several tries just to see the other side of the clothes hanger coming through. You have to feed it just right and wrestle it through the hole inside the car with some needle nose pliers.

Its best to start from the wheel but remember this way is kind of hard. You might get lucky and get it the first time but I highly doubt it! It is best to try this at night time because you'll have a hard time seeing the wire under all that metal. I shined some bright led lights inside one hole, and ran my finger through another hole to find the wire.

This is hole where the wire comes in the car. It looks easy but it is not!

Now you need to get wire up in the hood area. I ran the clothes hanger through first then use electrical tape to secure power to hanger and then pull it through.
I'm pulling the hanger from the bottom

Front

Back
Again that hole is really not there. I cut through this plastic.
Old 08-07-13, 02:13 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

now would be a great time to pull the ECU, which takes about 1 minute with all of that stuff out of the way, and check for failing ECU capacitors, a very common issue on LS400, especially on a 97 - it is not whether the capacitors will go out, but when!

post clear pics of the boards and Yamae and I will check it out for ya!

if you decide to do this, make sure negative battery cable is disconnected and wear all cotton clothes and bare-feet when opening and photographing inside of ECU

Quick Reply: I need to find vss wire for double din Navigation?