LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 Ls400 needs new rear upper control arms..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 06:00 PM
What2DoLou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Ls400 needs new rear upper control arms..

I recently purchased a 1995 Lexus Ls400 to replace my current 1991 Ls. So I took the '95 in for an insurance inspection and they found that the rear upper control arms need replacing on both the left&right meaning it won't pass inspection until I've had them changed. My quote was just under $1500 for labour and parts (from Lexus) because they weren't able to find any aftermarket parts instead. Now this mechanic is very honest/reliable and this is not my first time at the shop he works at. But I am wondering is it worth replacing knowing there's a possibility other problems can arise or should I re-sell this car for what I paid? And if I should fix it is there other places I can purchase rear upper control arms for cheaper? As it is I paid $3000 and it's currently at around 264000km.

So far this is what the car needs. Most of which I can do on my own.
-Front brakes/rotors
-My new tires/rims swapped from my '91
-Wheel allignment
-Rear upper control arms
-Insurance inspection

Any of your advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by What2DoLou; 07-23-13 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 08:38 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I checked online and the OEM rear upper control arms can be bought for $165 or so apiece.
I have yet to do the back ones, but the front ones were a piece of cake.

I say fix it then go from there, it seems like a petty issue to dump an LS400 for.
Old 07-23-13, 09:40 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

first of all, $1500 is ridiculous, this is not all that much labor and you can even buy the genuine Lexus rear upper control arms for ~$170 or so each, like Yoshiman said, online from Sewell Lexus or many other online dealership part departments

and besides, Pure Drifter can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the bushings etc. in this control arm are replaceable and would be inexpensive to purchase and have a machine shop to press in for $10
Old 07-24-13, 06:37 PM
What2DoLou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
first of all, $1500 is ridiculous, this is not all that much labor and you can even buy the genuine Lexus rear upper control arms for ~$170 or so each, like Yoshiman said, online from Sewell Lexus or many other online dealership part departments

and besides, Pure Drifter can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the bushings etc. in this control arm are replaceable and would be inexpensive to purchase and have a machine shop to press in for $10
Thanks for the responses! I guess this being my second car ever I overreacted to the thought of running into issues before I can even get the Ls on the road. But, they really are wonderful cars. And if you say fix it with it already nearing 300,000km I'll do it! I'm definitely going to look into ordering parts online. It's a gorgeous car and I was really not looking forward to parting with it. Do you know if I order parts to Canada from the US do they have to meet different standards before installing?
Old 07-24-13, 07:18 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Nope, should be the same for the two as far as suspension components go.
Old 07-24-13, 09:39 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

are you certain it was the rear upper control arms? - fronts are more commonly the issue

and if you are in Canada, you should put that on your profile, so we can adjust our answers accordingly
Old 07-26-13, 03:31 PM
What2DoLou
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again Yoshiman and LscowboyLs now that my work schedule isn't so hectic I can order some parts and fix her up. Also I was under the impression that I needed to have an American state/zip since it didn't offer the option of province/postal code but I've now changed it to what it should be. And yes it is deffinitely the rear upper control arms, the mechanic that found the issue even called me in a showed me what it was and why it isn't working requiring it to be replaced. This will be my first time purchasing parts online is there anything I should be aware of? or is it pretty basic and does price/brand matter when ordering parts or just find whatever's lowest in price?
Old 07-26-13, 03:40 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

brand definitely matters

there is everything from pure junk to the finest made parts and everything in between

haven't seen a lot of aftermarket choices on the rear upper control arms, I think I would go with the factory original parts, just find them at a nice 25% or more off the dealership price from an online dealership such as Sewell Lexus, Park Place Lexus, South Atlanta Lexus, etc. or www.lexuspartsnow.com is another good one that pulls from multiple dealerships

make sure at Sewell to register with your Club Lexus username for the discount
Old 12-15-13, 10:13 PM
ZGagnon
Lead Lap

BUMPING an old thread

I need rear upper control arms for my 1991 LS.

LScowbooyLS and Yoshiman… where are you finding these $170 rear upper control arms.

Sewell and anywhere else i have not been able to find under $350…

LINKS WOULD BE GREAT!
Old 12-15-13, 10:35 PM
Michael
Driver

Default Rear Upper Control Arm

I just briefly checked the rockauto,com and there isn't an aftermarket parts for the rear upper control arms for sale. And the front upper ones are about the price Yoshiman and LScowboy said. I am not so sure if you can get the parts for 2 * $170 USD = $340 USD.... On top of that there is a currency difference between Canada & US..... Many variables in determining the final cost.

I do not know what the current exchange rate is between Canada & US dollar but they are about same, I think. USD used be lot more before. Back then there was a internet online OEM dealer, I used to purchase parts from them. See below for their contact information. I am not even sure if they still are in business. They are in Victoria BC. Good luck.

metrolexustoyota.com

Last edited by Michael; 12-15-13 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 07:02 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default UCF20 Rear UCA Install

Has anyone attempted this before? My ball joints in the arms are shot! From the looks of it need the remove strut. Possibly axle? Either way I'll try to snap photos as I do it some time within the next month or so. Seems to be a dealer item only part.
Old 03-05-14, 10:02 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Amayama has the real Toyota UCA's for $193 each - this is very cool
Old 03-05-14, 02:10 PM
Michael
Driver

Default You rock, Cowboy!!!

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
Amayama has the real Toyota UCA's for $193 each - this is very cool
LSCowboy deserves to be called "Lexus Champion" poster in this forum!!!!
Old 03-05-14, 02:59 PM
OMAHA
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes a very useful thread!
Old 03-05-14, 06:38 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael
LSCowboy deserves to be called "Lexus Champion" poster in this forum!!!!
He sure does but I think this guy gets the credit for that find.

Originally Posted by munday
I got GENUINE Lexus UCAs for £125 per side plus shipping to the UK.

Do any of you guys ever use Amayama.com? All genuine parts straight from Japan and they arrive easily within 2 weeks or less. Every suspension part I've searched so far has been available, and prices are around 50% of what they would be over here. Nice excuse to do a full suspension refresh on mine

Quick Reply: 1995 Ls400 needs new rear upper control arms..