LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cracked windshield 99LS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-13, 11:23 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cracked windshield 99LS

Just returned from a road trip and brought home a souvenier......A cracked front wind sheild.Haven't had to deal with one of these in about 30 years and would greatly appreciate any and all information/advice you can give me.I'll contact my insurance co.when you guys give me the ins and outs of how they will try to cheat me both at the insurance co and glass repair shop.I'll be pushing for Toyota glass.Thanks.
Old 07-20-13, 02:34 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

one of my 99 got a PPG windshield and it is clear as a bell, the originals seem to have something in them, at a certain angle, with the sun shining on them..... not the PPG.. thats my 2cents.

Last edited by billydpowe; 07-20-13 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-20-13, 04:29 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Thanks for your response.Was it difficult dealing with your ins.co.?Why did you not opt for Toyota glass?
Old 07-20-13, 05:36 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
.I'll contact my insurance co.when you guys give me the ins and outs of how they will try to cheat me both at the insurance co and glass repair shop.
Why do you think everyone is out to cheat you? Getting replacement glass is no big deal whether it is aftermarket or OEM.
Old 07-20-13, 07:02 PM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Thanks for your response.Have you replaced a windshield on your Lexus recently?Did you opt for Toyota glass?If not,what brand did you select and are you happy with your selection?My 97LS has PGW brand glass and the wind noise is higher than with the Toyota glass.Any information from your experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-13, 07:11 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Why do you think everyone is out to cheat you? Getting replacement glass is no big deal whether it is aftermarket or OEM.
Kansas, the OP has a point, I have seen insurance companies and glass companies try to install cheap Chinese windshields just to increase the profit margin, you have to watch every step of every car repair these days, heck all repairs really, everyone is trying to slip junk in on you when you are not watching!

you would not believe the number of independent shops who will use a Chinese oil filter of a brand you never heard of, if you do not watch them like a hawk!

and then even the dealership wants to use the bulk mystery oil when doing your oil change

and let's not even begin to discuss the prevalence of Chinese knock-off body parts like door skins, fenders, etc.
Old 07-20-13, 08:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The variety of glass is huge and yes, there is plenty of cheap low end glass out there. When ours replaced the prior owner had put in some cheap import glass. The PPG that I'd ordered was night-day difference in quality.

A Toyota labeled glass will cost ~$1,200 give take a bit. A quality PPG glass can be found for ~$400 and less.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...n-a-98-ls.html
Old 07-20-13, 10:55 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Comprehensive insurance will cover glass replacement with $50 deductible. My 99 LS has a "bronze" tinted glass and Safelite didn't have an adequate replacement for my car, so they had Lexus dealer order me one from Japan. I got a new Toyota windshield for $50, super cool! If I had "green" or "grey" tinted glass, they probably would have used a cheaper non-Toyota glass.
Old 07-21-13, 10:48 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

In case my ins. co. refuses to pay for Toyota glass,what brands do you guys have installed in your Lexus?Please be specific about the name and add if you are happy with the product or not.Thanks again.
Old 07-21-13, 11:43 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by UNCNOR
Thanks for your response.Have you replaced a windshield on your Lexus recently?Did you opt for Toyota glass?If not,what brand did you select and are you happy with your selection?My 97LS has PGW brand glass and the wind noise is higher than with the Toyota glass.Any information from your experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Wind noise can be caused by poor installation of the windshield itself or the trim around it. The OEM windshield replacement on my 2000 LS400 before I purchased it in 2003 was done poorly as I found out a couple of years ago when it was badly cracked by a flying rock. I could have just had another windshield slapped in but I spent $600 doing it right and having the surrounding metal repaired.

Although I have used only aftermarket replacements in the past, this time I had another OEM windshield installed - no argument from the insurance company since aftermarket windshields are not available in the bronze color of the rest of the windows in my car. Cost of the windshield replacement with OEM glass was about $1,500 with most or all (I forget) paid by insurance.

The only defective windshield I've ever got was in around 1976-77 on a VW and I'm pretty sure it was PPG. Other replacement PPG windshields, including on the 90 LS I used to have, were just fine.
Old 08-01-13, 08:14 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I need a windshield also.

I had safelite do a windshield in my avalon and it didn't even last a year. Garbage! I think it was made in Korea or China.

I have progressive and they have a $100 deductible. They probably won't pay for a toyota windshield.

What is my best option?

Also my car is leaking water! Passenger side headliner near the windshield. I hope it's not rotted.
Old 08-01-13, 08:44 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I had a PPG put in my 92 they replaced the trim too. I paid for it myself was less than 200 installed. Did great work no issues. I think the difference between that and oem is theirs maybe acoustic glass which runs a bit higher. PPG makes such a glass.
Old 08-02-13, 01:02 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rick1987

I had safelite do a windshield in my avalon and it didn't even last a year. Garbage! I think it was made in Korea or China.

I have progressive and they have a $100 deductible. They probably won't pay for a toyota windshield.

What is my best option?

Also my car is leaking water! Passenger side headliner near the windshield. I hope it's not rotted.
Just replaced windshield on 99LS on Tuesday.In my opinion,your best option is to have PGW glass installed.Both of my LS400s now have PGW glass.It is extremely clear even with the factory tint.and I haven't noticed any increased noise or water leaks.Make sure the installer checks for rust on areas the glass sits on and that he uses a high quality adhesive like Dow chemical.Make sure you give the installer your vin number so he can give you the right tint colored glass.The three choices are;bronze,gray and green.Good luck and let us know how the process went.
Old 08-02-13, 02:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by rick1987

What is my best option?

A good installer. Cheap to $$ glass, if it isn't put in right it will be a Following the instructions for proper cure time of the adhesive. Though it isn't long, certain weather conditions are not conductive for the adhesive to cure properly.

I agree, don't get the budget glass, the clarity is horrible once you've looked through good glass.
Old 08-02-13, 05:37 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I just looked again and it is PGW glass. I remember them asking me what tint i had too.

Happy with it still been over a year. No leaks or extra noise.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield 99LS