LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1993 Lexus LS400 acceleration problems please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 02:36 PM
justin21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Lexus LS400 acceleration problems please Help!!

This is a YouTube video showing what I am dealing with. When I press on the gas a little hard or floor it, the car won't go and act like it about to choke unless I pull off the gas a lightly press the pedal again. I can reach almost max if I slowly press the gas but I really hate this. Any ideas can help. Also I changed the fuel filter thinking it's the problem but no success.
Old 07-17-13, 02:43 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you searched the forum? This is a common problem, and could be a bad sensor or bad ECU. I'm positive that its been discussed on here before.
Old 07-17-13, 02:51 PM
justin21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by usoff89
Have you searched the forum? This is a common problem, and could be a bad sensor or bad ECU. I'm positive that its been discussed on here before.
Thanks and no i havent really looked on the site yet but i am looking now.
Old 07-17-13, 05:09 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

almost 100% chance that you have failing ECU capacitors - your video is a classic case of it, and 93-97 are notorious for this!

check out my DIY fix if you know someone who is very good at soldering small delicate items
Old 07-17-13, 05:37 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
almost 100% chance that you have failing ECU capacitors - your video is a classic case of it, and 93-97 are notorious for this!

check out my DIY fix if you know someone who is very good at soldering small delicate items
What about 90-92?
Old 07-17-13, 06:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dc893
What about 90-92?
they fail as well, but for a different reason, 90-92's fail due to old age, whereas 93-97 (and some 92's and 98's) had a defective recalled capacitor called the Nichicon PF (M) which our ECU design engineer from Japan yamae discusses in my DIY thread:

Originally Posted by Yamae
Toyota has started to use Nichicon's electrolytic capacitors that containing “quaternary ammonium salt / compounds" in the late 80s and has kept using them for a bit more than a decade. The reason why they used those capacitors was simply because the internal impedance was low enough and showed good performance in removing noise and ripples at DC lines.

A little before that many electronics industries in Japan started to use similar capacitors that were for non automobile use and faced serious leaking problems in the early 90s. The details are written below but all in Japanese.
http://ednjapan.com/edn/articles/1208/01/news006.html

I don't have the time nor the ability to translate all the contents so I will just translate the title.
“80年代末期の“亡霊”に注意” or “Watch out for the “phantom” in the late 80s”
The “phantom” here means the electrolytic capacitor which contains infamous “quaternaty ammonium salt / compounds". Judging from the title, it is dangerous to use this type of capacitor without taking any special precautionary countermeasures.

Most of the electronics companies in Japan stopped using this type of capacitor in the early 90s or mid 90s for fear of leaking problems. But many automobile industries kept using them because they need good performance. Another reason was that they have been used in high reliability type-capacitors. Nichicon has been manufacturing special versions of this type for the automobile industries using specially coated lead wires with special sealing rubbers. One of my colleagues evaluated them and found the automobile type much better than those types designed for home appliances applications but the lifespan was not as long as those electrolytic capacitors that use regular liquids. Also the high reliability types were very expensive. I cannot show you the details of the evaluation results but what I can say is that the lifespan is longer than roughly 10 years or so but you cannot expect a lot if used for longer than that.

As I fix different ECUs as a volunteer, I came across many failed Nichicon's PF(M) type capacitors these days, some 12 years old, some 15 years old. What I can say now is that my colleague has done a good job evaluating the capacitors using an oven in the accelerated mode. In accordance with that and from my own actual experience, ECUs older than 12 years are ready to fail someday soon or later, that I can say with confidence.

Below is a failed capacitor used in a 97 Celsior. You can see how the leg has corroded and the part on the board where liquid has leaked out.

Those who want to replace Nichicon's type PF(M) capacitors to avoid future problems, be sure to use low ESR type capacitors. Never select capacitors just seeing the voltage and the capacitance. I recommend you to use Rubycon's type ZLH or Nippon Chemicon's type KZH. These do not contain infamous "quaternaty ammonium compounds" but their ESR is low enough. You also have to pay good attentions against electric static discharge when doing the replacing job. A wrist strap is definitely needed to use. Without it you might damage the ECU.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 07-17-13 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 05:27 PM
Alex0181
Driver School Candidate

Mines doing the same thing but it seems like it's got some kinda rev limiter when I step on the gas in park and when I'm driving it will get to about 30 and do it again when I slowly release the gas it will stop but I can accelerate up to 30 slowly and then just keep doing it
Old 01-20-20, 06:30 PM
SMcqueen01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by justin21
http://youtu.be/GiAP-3KyRCQ
This is a YouTube video showing what I am dealing with. When I press on the gas a little hard or floor it, the car won't go and act like it about to choke unless I pull off the gas a lightly press the pedal again. I can reach almost max if I slowly press the gas but I really hate this. Any ideas can help. Also I changed the fuel filter thinking it's the problem but no success.
Fused Cat, take out each front 02 senor to give gas flow, if it improves you have a fused cat.

give me all your codes and we can sort out what caused the fuel to pass into the cats.
Old 01-20-20, 06:33 PM
SMcqueen01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SMcqueen01
Fused Cat, take out each front 02 senor to give gas flow, if it improves you have a fused cat.

give me all your codes and we can sort out what caused the fuel to pass into the cats.
if you drive it round running over rich, you will have to much fuel passing into the cats, if you got any codes like po300 or po420 or any at all just let me know, you can knock out the cats and put some cheaters on the rear 02s but you need to also stop the rich condition.

ill help you