LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

aftermarket radio for a 1999 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 03:20 PM
Patrickdel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket radio for a 1999 ls400

I was looking to installa Pioneer app radio 3 into my car. I don't have sat nav but it says I have the premium sound system. I was wondering if anyone has installed aftermarket into theirs and how hard it was.
Old 07-16-13, 03:29 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...unit-swap.html

This should help you out.
Old 07-16-13, 06:00 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the beat sonic harness like the link dc893 provided above then it will be very simple but if you don't then you will have to bypass the factory amp. Keep in mind you will lose your factory sub if you have aftermarket hu but if you have the beat sonic harness Etc then you will still have your factory sub
Old 07-16-13, 07:11 PM
door331
Rookie

If you have ever done a head unit in another car its not much different. Beatsonic should make it dead easy but if not then you could get a new amp and run your own sub.

I am actually getting ready to do a Beatsonic/Appradio 3 install soon-- waiting for the Appradio3 without the DVD player release date!
Old 07-17-13, 07:28 AM
Patrickdel
Driver School Candidate

Here's my HU, I don't think it's the one with the factory amp but correct me if I'm wrong.
Attached Thumbnails aftermarket radio for a 1999 ls400-image.jpg  
Old 07-17-13, 04:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you are wrong, it's the standard pioneer unit and will have the problems mentioned earlier unless you buy a beatsonic harness or an aftermarket amplifier/sub setup.
Old 07-21-13, 12:56 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup the amp is located under the passenger seat I believe. Or the drivers, not sure as it has been a while for me.
Old 07-21-13, 10:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

passenger, at least in LHD cars.
Old 07-22-13, 12:16 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you have two options for how you'll be going about this.

1. The Easy Way (if you're simply replacing the head unit, this one's for you): Beatsonic harness/box. Pretty much the direct equivalent of a wiring harness you would buy for any car, except it's specially engineered for our cars to create a seamless plug and play solution. For your car, you would be using the Beatsonic SLA-22.

NOTE: You will need male and female bullet connectors for this. Pick some up from your local auto store!

2. The Hard Way (if you plan on eventually replacing your car's entire sound system, check this out): For this, you will need a new subwoofer and amp (this is up to you - some people like to replace their sub with a free air 8 with a low powered amplifier, while others run twin 15s with a ridiculously powerful amp with a dedicated battery) since your current amp will cease to power the OEM sub. Now, that you've got the amp and sub out of the way (when running power to the amp, run the wire(s) through the left door sills while running the "signal" wires through the right side. This is done to reduce "noise" (or static, per se). For wiring the radio, you will need to first get power to it (now whether you want to run a dedicated power wire from the battery itself or tap a 12v source is up to you). For the ground, there is a tubular frame/brace that is directly behind the radio. Simpy drill a hole or use a self-tapping screw. now for the fun stuff! To connect your speakers to the new radio, you have two options - the first being adding RCAs to corresponding wires in your factory harness (this will retain the OEM amplifier as it is still powering the door speakers) and the second being hardwiring your speakers to the head unit itself via the corresponding wires on your radio harness (this will bypass the factory amplifier entirely). Connecting the antenna is fairly straightforward - use the fat connector instead of the thin one.

DISCLAIMER: That wall of text wasn't in order and it wasn't the entire radio install process. This was just an overview of the very important points you will come across during your install.

Good luck with your install! And please, make a thread about it!

Last edited by Sc0pe; 07-22-13 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 01:23 AM
Stanislav
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it possible just to connect RCA from new head unit to stock amplifier?
Old 06-29-22, 12:47 PM
ucfpichie
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Stanislav
Is it possible just to connect RCA from new head unit to stock amplifier?

Were you ever able to figure out the answer to your question? ik this was years ago, but i just bought a sony double din, and didn’t do my research before buying it lol, i didnt know you had to rewire every just to use the factory amp.
Old 06-29-22, 06:45 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by ucfpichie
Were you ever able to figure out the answer to your question? ik this was years ago, but i just bought a sony double din, and didn’t do my research before buying it lol, i didnt know you had to rewire every just to use the factory amp.
Stanislav is not active anymore and you won't be able to get his answer.
It's not possible to connect RCA from new head unit to stock amplifier simply. Only those who can analyze and modify the circuit are possible. That's why people use a Beatsonic kit. But it's expensive and some people connect the signal of a new head unit to the CD lines of the amplifier. Those CD lines should be balanced differential signals though. Or some people modify the head unit as is posted at the last end of this.

I myself have a 98 Celsior with a Navi unit and I modified the Navi board as is shown below to connect the R&L signals in series with DC cutting capacitors and 3dB attenuators to match the level and the stability. I also used a home made a 88.5MHz transmitter of no sound to mute the FM reception. Because the method below makes it possible to play external signals whatever you select FM, AM, CD, Cassete or TV aiming to connect my phone. When I play music, I only need to have a no sound of a FM signal. In other words, I can only listen to the external music source using that FM transmitter selecting 88.5MHz.

Last edited by Yamae; 06-29-22 at 08:32 PM. Reason: To add the diagram and a photo
The following users liked this post:
ucfpichie (06-30-22)
Old 06-30-22, 10:40 AM
ucfpichie
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Yamae
Stanislav is not active anymore and you won't be able to get his answer.
It's not possible to connect RCA from new head unit to stock amplifier simply. Only those who can analyze and modify the circuit are possible. That's why people use a Beatsonic kit. But it's expensive and some people connect the signal of a new head unit to the CD lines of the amplifier. Those CD lines should be balanced differential signals though. Or some people modify the head unit as is posted at the last end of this.

I myself have a 98 Celsior with a Navi unit and I modified the Navi board as is shown below to connect the R&L signals in series with DC cutting capacitors and 3dB attenuators to match the level and the stability. I also used a home made a 88.5MHz transmitter of no sound to mute the FM reception. Because the method below makes it possible to play external signals whatever you select FM, AM, CD, Cassete or TV aiming to connect my phone. When I play music, I only need to have a no sound of a FM signal. In other words, I can only listen to the external music source using that FM transmitter selecting 88.5MHz.
so to put it simply, there is a way i can use the factory amp, by tapping into that CD wire? Do you know what color the wire is? Ived installed multiple headunits before but they were all old hondas and miatas so everything was pretty easy, however i am no means a electric person, or a radio geek.
Old 06-30-22, 07:01 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by ucfpichie
so to put it simply, there is a way i can use the factory amp, by tapping into that CD wire? Do you know what color the wire is? Ived installed multiple headunits before but they were all old hondas and miatas so everything was pretty easy, however i am no means a electric person, or a radio geek.
This is one of the ways to tap into the CD signal lines introduced by PureDrifter.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...em-stereo.html
Some electronically inclined people wouldn't use many relays and would use a more modern way connecting signals using semiconductors converting non balanced signals to balanced signals and also use a switcher IC. It's all up to your skill. But Puredrifter's method is quite easy to understand the way how signals should be tapped in.

This is from his first JPG file.
The following users liked this post:
ucfpichie (07-01-22)
Old 07-03-22, 06:03 PM
ucfpichie
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Yamae
This is one of the ways to tap into the CD signal lines introduced by PureDrifter.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...em-stereo.html
Some electronically inclined people wouldn't use many relays and would use a more modern way connecting signals using semiconductors converting non balanced signals to balanced signals and also use a switcher IC. It's all up to your skill. But Puredrifter's method is quite easy to understand the way how signals should be tapped in.

This is from his first JPG file.
So i have a 1999 Ls400 and ive been trying to find a radio wiring diagram to figure out the speaker wires, do you by chance have it for the Pioneer radio(86120-50450 Kex-m9076ZT) ? ive only found the Nakamichki diagram, but none of the wires match.

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio for a 1999 ls400