LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Older Lexuses: Head unit desirability flips over time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 08:22 AM
xyzzy_dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Older Lexuses: Head unit desirability flips over time?

When I bought my 98 LS 400 in 2001 as a CPO, ones that had Nav were rare and hot items and got snapped up. I wanted one but they were hard to find and the price premium was too much, so I ended up with the Lexus Premium Sound system, i.e., the base head unit. Which turned out to be a great unit except of course the level of tech, and finally after 12 years I swapped it out this month (see. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...unit-swap.html)

Now 12 years later, from what I can see on this forum people who have the 98-00 with the Nav and the Nakimichi are finding that their setup is more proprietary than most and a head unit change requires a whole redo of the car's sound system, including replacing the amp, whereas a head unit swap with my base system was a relatively easy DIY job, after buying the $280 BeatSonic mystery box that is.

So as these cars get older, do the base stereo systems get more desirable because of easier replacement? After all, they all become obsolete, and NAV probably becomes obsolete faster than most features?

Knowing what I know now, if I had to replace my LS400 today, I would look for another 98-00, but I would definitely prefer one with the base HU as opposed to the Nak or the Nav.
Old 07-11-13, 09:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

actually the nav systems are pioneer based, so just require the purchase of a non-nav climate control module. From there it's the same as installing a stereo into a standard pioneer system. Some also revert to the standard non-nav pioneer headunit as it is more durable.

the main reason the nav is so unloved is because it's a 10+ year old system that is not at all easily upgradeable, and feels very dated.
Old 07-11-13, 10:38 AM
xyzzy_dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
actually the nav systems are pioneer based, so just require the purchase of a non-nav climate control module. From there it's the same as installing a stereo into a standard pioneer system. Some also revert to the standard non-nav pioneer headunit as it is more durable.
Ok, but what about the Nak systems?

the main reason the nav is so unloved is because it's a 10+ year old system that is not at all easily upgradeable, and feels very dated.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that will be the fate of every built in nav system someday... with such good navigation on phones nowadays, I don't see why anyone would buy built-in Nav.

Except maybe the up and coming android based head units, like the Parrot Asteroid Smart. fully software upgradeable if I understand it correctly. Almost bought one when I did my HU swap, except I really wanted the USB connector on the front, not the back and requiring wires to be routed.
Old 07-12-13, 03:56 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I don't think an in-dash radio / nav matters much anymore. Anything I want to do or listen to I can do on my phone. All I care about in a car is a good physical or Bluetooth aux-in so I can stream from my phone. I don't even use the Entune in our Prius which has most of the apps that Lexus Enform has - I can do all the same stuff easier directly on my phone including using the Enform apps that are not in Entune.
Old 07-12-13, 07:20 AM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good Bluetooth and Auxiliary Input goes a long way That being said, as far as I'm concerned, a radio *should* have an Aux-in, Bluetooth and some degree of iPod/iPhone/Android compatibility to be able to compete with a new unit from Lexus.