LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Low Oil

Old 06-18-13, 09:36 PM
RLind
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I know a fairly deep amount about oil filters, and I have never even heard of a PO-38, wanna check that number again or post a pic? - Is it some crazy Chinese no-name thing? - then you may well have a case!
Here is a pic of the wrong filter:
Low Oil-mbass6q.jpg

And the correct one the new place added:
Low Oil-g45zziy.jpg

On another note, I was able to fix the lack of power issue. Once the sun went down, Iooked under the hood while the engine was running and was able to see arcing a little ways down. Got a flashlight as saw that the insulation around the ignition wire going into the distributor. Made it to an oreilly just before close, got a new set of plug wires. It now works exactly the way it did just a week ago. Glad this didn't end up ruining my engine. Thanks everyone on this forum for your help!
Old 06-18-13, 10:17 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

On another note, I was able to fix the lack of power issue. Once the sun went down, Iooked under the hood while the engine was running and was able to see arcing a little ways down. Got a flashlight as saw that the insulation around the ignition wire going into the distributor. Made it to an oreilly just before close, got a new set of plug wires. It now works exactly the way it did just a week ago
you did good on the wire diagnosis and replacement!

not sure why you are replacing a cheap chinese no-name filter with a different "brand" of cheap chinese no-name filter though

there are several world class oil filters for your LS400 for about $5 or less, what is your engine worth?

think about a Motorcraft s-suffix series (awesome) or a Purolator Classic or Pure1 or a WIX for example.

even the very well built Fram Ultra can be had for $8 at Wal-Mart!, same goes for the Mobil 1 (K&N) which is available online for around $8

oil filters are cheap, engines are expensive!

take a look at this

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-18-13 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-19-13, 05:39 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

What about the top toyota 90915-20004 for $15. I have one left and i just picked up the royal purple filter and again about same $15. I like the hefty feel these filters have the the tech behind the RP seems solid. But i also like the toyo one as much.

There are good cheaper filters for sure.
Old 06-19-13, 06:01 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know a fairly deep amount about oil filters, and I have never even heard of a PO-38, wanna check that number again or post a pic? - Is it some crazy Chinese no-name thing? - then you may well have a case!
po38 crosses to a 1394 which fits a corolla/matrix 1.8l engine

Last edited by python; 06-19-13 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-19-13, 08:29 AM
RLind
Driver School Candidate

you did good on the wire diagnosis and replacement!

not sure why you are replacing a cheap chinese no-name filter with a different "brand" of cheap chinese no-name filter though

there are several world class oil filters for your LS400 for about $5 or less, what is your engine worth?

think about a Motorcraft s-suffix series (awesome) or a Purolator Classic or Pure1 or a WIX for example.

even the very well built Fram Ultra can be had for $8 at Wal-Mart!, same goes for the Mobil 1 (K&N) which is available online for around $8

oil filters are cheap, engines are expensive!

take a look at this
I know. I know. That's what the shop I took it to uses, and I needed to just get it running right again.
Old 08-18-13, 04:22 PM
RLind
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to Bump this thread, but I have another question. I have now had a p0420 and p0430 code since about a week after all of this. I haven't had the time or the money to fix it yet, but it just now crossed me. Could it running rough and with low oil have cause the cat to clog, and thereby trip p0420 and 0430 codes? Just wondering if it is even worth it to see if this dealership will pay for it.

Thanks guy! (and gals?)
Ryan
Old 08-18-13, 05:33 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

I doubt the cats are clogged, even with those codes, LS400 cats rarely ever fail - the first thing to do is disconnect the negative battery cable for a few hours and then drive the car some more and see if the codes even come back

after that, my next step would be to replace all four O2 sensors, and make sure to use genuine Denso sensors, give us the year of the LS400 and we will find you the best price on these!
Old 08-18-13, 07:01 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you say in you OP that the oil light came on while you were driving?

if your oil light came on you had no oil pressure.

your oil must have gotten real low for you to get no oil pressure.

deffenitly get your motor looked at for internal damage.
Old 08-18-13, 07:47 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rick1987
if your oil light came on you had no oil pressure.

your oil must have gotten real low for you to get no oil pressure.
No

there are two oil lights, one of them indicates low oil level, not necessarily low oil pressure

and even in the case of the oil pressure light, when the light comes on it signifies low oil pressure, rather than no oil pressure
Old 08-19-13, 06:33 AM
RLind
Driver School Candidate

I doubt the cats are clogged, even with those codes, LS400 cats rarely ever fail - the first thing to do is disconnect the negative battery cable for a few hours and then drive the car some more and see if the codes even come back

after that, my next step would be to replace all four O2 sensors, and make sure to use genuine Denso sensors, give us the year of the LS400 and we will find you the best price on these!
I have had it reset twice. Both times it came back on after about 50 miles. And it is a 1997.
Old 08-19-13, 09:28 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

you need to test your back pressure, a very simple and easy test, and that would tell you whether the cats are clogged