LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My heater smells like gas.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 02:11 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My heater smells like gas.

Usually only at night when I need it, but if I turned it on during the day when it's hot as hell outside (110*F) there will be no smell of gas...

Also noticed that sometimes when I start my car and for the first few minutes if my windows are down (9 out of 10 times they are all rolled down), I will smell gas.

I just didn't notice my heater smelled of gas since I usually have all the windows down while I drive and have the heater pointed at my feet. But cruising on the freeway home in 45*F weather, windows up and upper and lower heater vents on, I smelled gas.

Ideas? I just been opting to freeze my ***** off on the way home after work lately in fear of heat + fuel vapor = kaboom
Old 06-13-13, 02:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It's probably picking up the odors from under the hood. If you pop the hood do you smell gas, looked for leaks closely? No check engine lights. Sulfur and gas smell from the rear end is often a sign you are running rich.
Old 06-13-13, 05:08 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with Lavrishevo, you have a fuel leak and most likely under the hood somewhere, the heater is only involved because you are getting air through it - it is not more dangerous to use the heater than not use it (unless you smoke in your car), but the leak needs to be found before you have an engine fire.

Trace the fuel line from the tank to the injectors, they are not that hard to find.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-13-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 09:44 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

I just remembered today that I have an exhaust leak.... I'm thinking it could be that, it's the right passenger side above the cat after the manifold.... I stripped a stud and couldn't drill it out.
Old 06-13-13, 10:32 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shiryo
I just remembered today that I have an exhaust leak.... I'm thinking it could be that, it's the right passenger side above the cat after the manifold.... I stripped a stud and couldn't drill it out.
that would not smell like gas, unless your car is running horribly rich, but then it would barely even be drivable
Old 06-14-13, 01:07 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The cabin intake vents are so close to the engine that as the air flows through the engine bay, it is easily picked up. This may also be compounded by how the blend door is actuated. As others stated, check for any under hood gas leaks.

Have you had any work done around the intake area? Fuel rails, injectors...any misfires?
Old 06-14-13, 02:58 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
that would not smell like gas, unless your car is running horribly rich, but then it would barely even be drivable
I didn't think so, I guess it was just hopefully dreaming... Engine runs strong as ever... On the brightside, if I find this leak, I wonder if it'll improve my fuel economy... 150-175 miles on half a tank isn't the best...

Originally Posted by RA40
The cabin intake vents are so close to the engine that as the air flows through the engine bay, it is easily picked up. This may also be compounded by how the blend door is actuated. As others stated, check for any under hood gas leaks.

Have you had any work done around the intake area? Fuel rails, injectors...any misfires?
Yeah, i've torn apart the upper part of the engine three times doing the starter (don't ask...) and then had the car's timing belt replaced...
Old 06-14-13, 06:50 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks! Hope you get it sorted out
Old 06-14-13, 10:41 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i was first going to suggest an exhaust leak. if you always have your windows down you will smell it, but that's usually just exhaust smell and not gas. if it's fuel, there is definitely a leak somewhere. if you've done a starter that often i would start around the intake mani.
Old 06-14-13, 10:46 AM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Yeah... I did the dissasemble 3 times because, second time I went to replace a gasket because I had a coolant leak somewhere... Third time was because it was still leaking so I torqued everything to spec, still leaking. Turned out it was the stupid tiny hose under the TB

I have a feeling it could be is the metal rail connecting the fuel rails, i'll check tomorrow... Off to work.
Old 06-14-13, 06:40 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Wouldn't smoke in it, that's for sure. I gotta agree with LSCowboy, probably a fuel leak under the hood someplace.
Old 06-14-13, 07:36 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shiryo
I didn't think so, I guess it was just hopefully dreaming... Engine runs strong as ever... On the brightside, if I find this leak, I wonder if it'll improve my fuel economy... 150-175 miles on half a tank isn't the best...
dang you got a hole in your gas tank! - lol

I get 400-500 miles on a tank depending on if I drive all crazy & shlt

make sure you are running premium, the gas mileage difference way more than makes up for the cost difference, and much better for your engine as well!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-14-13 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 09:53 PM
Shiryo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dc893
Wouldn't smoke in it, that's for sure. I gotta agree with LSCowboy, probably a fuel leak under the hood someplace.
Quit smoking over a year ago. I vape :P

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
dang you got a hole in your gas tank! - lol

I get 400-500 miles on a tank depending on if I drive all crazy & shlt

make sure you are running premium, the gas mileage difference way more than makes up for the cost difference, and much better for your engine as well!
Yeah, I can barely squeeze MAAAYBE 400 if i'm light footed, but I cruise at 80 on highways.

I always run Premium.
Old 10-27-15, 03:27 PM
krbrabec
Driver School Candidate

What the heck are you guys doing to get 400-500 miles on one tank?!?! I'm lucky if I get 250 to a tank... Just had my EGR tube replaced because I was getting about 170 to a tank, but seriously? Do I have to drive that light-footed or is my car just broken? Sorry for digging up an old thread.
Old 10-27-15, 07:05 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

400-500 would be mostly highway trips. In the city 300 +/- would be the norm.

Quick Reply: My heater smells like gas.