LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Repair Partially Lit Instrument Cluster Needles

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 10:12 AM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repair Partially Lit Instrument Cluster Needles

Guys, I've seen a lot of threads on this topic but haven't found anybody who has done a D.I.Y job of it.

Found this thread (by Richard Poole) posted in June of 2013 with instructions on how to fix this problem with partially lit needles: http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...dlerepair.html

Here are some questions for anyone out there who has done this work themselves:

1. What if the entire needle is not lit, will this method still work (all my other needles are lit up fine)?
2. Can I go ahead and simply reinforce ALL the needles with the conductive grease to prevent future problems?

This guide seems like a pretty simple way to fix the problem. I've searched Ebay for clusters and they're not less than $200 for one in decent shape. Plus, those will end up causing problems later anyway. On the first gen LS the cluster also includes analog mileage indicators so replacing my cluster with one from Ebay would actually (from the ones I've seen there) increase my mileage readout significantly.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-13, 01:27 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to know this also. Only my speedo needle is not lit up. It still works fine, but hard to see.
Old 06-12-13, 01:52 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by usoff89
I would like to know this also. Only my speedo needle is not lit up. It still works fine, but hard to see.
If you still have some light in your needle, that thread I linked to claims to have the fix. If you don't want to do it yourself, I understand that Jim Walker in Fresno, Ca is an expert and charges $250 to fix it and recondition all your needles so they never have the problem again. He also repairs the circuit boards if they are the cause. The price includes return shipping: http://lexusinstrumentclusterrepair.com/

I would like to try this myself though so I'm not without the use of my car for a week. It would be excellent if anyone here has done this and could offer advice. My speedo meter is completely dark.

Last edited by Beatdemon; 06-12-13 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 02:44 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is the same way (completely dark), and I would be doing this myself also. Thanks for the link though.
Old 06-12-13, 04:46 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Hi all, as you can see I'm still around and working on my site. I'm glad people are referencing it as each tutorial takes hours or more to produce. I don't like self-promoting my new tutorials so I'm glad it's been seen. I was lucky to get this from Richard. Since I no longer have my LS the site can only move forward if the community contributes. I'm happy to put it all together as I normally do, I just can't get pics or tips on doing the actual job anymore.

I would certainly be interested to get feedback of people who try this "fix." As I say in the tutorial it worked for Richard, but that's just one case.

Another "fix" that's been thrown around is a rear window defogger repair kit. I believe that uses conductive copper paint. I believe this would be more like the repainting method but the concept is the same - repair the break in the circuit. Anyone use this kit for needle repair? Check out the first 2:20 of this video:

Old 06-12-13, 05:23 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Hey man, your site was the first I ran into after I got my LS400. What a helpful resource. I'll donate some for sure. I have only had this car for 3 weeks now.. I found this forum second, and it's great because there are a lot of people here who can offer advice and help. But it can be difficult to find many things because of how massive it is and how many threads there are.

I just ordered all the stuff I need to do the job, as you suggested in your tutorial. One thing you might be able to answer is: Do you assume that if I apply the conductive grease to all the needles that it will preserve their integrity also? I'm not sure what steps Jim Walker takes to do his repairs, but he allegedly can make it so you never have to worry about the needles going dark again.

Thanks for all the great tutorials!
Old 06-12-13, 06:26 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

I would only do what's needed, not that I'm lazy, just that you don't want to break something that's working. I will be very interested in your results and experience!
Old 06-13-13, 02:56 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

The return of LexLS, Welcome back!
Old 06-14-13, 11:16 AM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexLS
I would only do what's needed, not that I'm lazy, just that you don't want to break something that's working. I will be very interested in your results and experience!
Good point! I may try to tackle the job this weekend. If I do, I will repost here and let you know how it goes. I am tempted to replace all the incandescent bulbs in the dash with LED's while I am in there...
Old 06-14-13, 01:30 PM
fencera
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, as you can see I'm still around and working on my site. I'm glad people are referencing it as each tutorial takes hours or more to produce. I don't like self-promoting my new tutorials so I'm glad it's been seen. I was lucky to get this from Richard. Since I no longer have my LS the site can only move forward if the community contributes. I'm happy to put it all together as I normally do, I just can't get pics or tips on doing the actual job anymore.

I would certainly be interested to get feedback of people who try this "fix." As I say in the tutorial it worked for Richard, but that's just one case.

Another "fix" that's been thrown around is a rear window defogger repair kit. I believe that uses conductive copper paint. I believe this would be more like the repainting method but the concept is the same - repair the break in the circuit. Anyone use this kit for needle repair? Check out the first 2:20 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_v942ySQHA
Hey-

I have successfully used that kit/paint for needle repair on a 1990. After using the special paint, I painted the needle backs black again and you cannot tell it was repaired. After at least 4 years now (think that long?), they still work perfectly. I think I posted something about how to do this when I did it years ago. Definitely works, definitely cheap definitely must be careful not to brake the needles or knock them out of alignment.

Thanks for the awesome website you run!
Old 06-15-13, 11:15 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

I found a severe problem after having followed the excellent instructions provided by LexLS.... The speedo meter has a crack in the glass so the grease won't help me. I am totally bummed. I don't assume I have any repair options at this point, huh? Other than buying a new instrument cluster?

Last edited by Beatdemon; 06-17-13 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 04:46 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Beatdemon
I found a severe problem after having followed the excellent instructions provided on lexus.com.... The speedo meter has a crack in the glass so the grease won't help me. I am totally bummed. I don't assume I have any repair options at this point, huh? Other than buying a new instrument cluster?
Unfortunately if the needle glass itself is broken Richards instructions will not help. I would suggest buying a used cluster on ebay or similar route. Then just swap the needle assembly.
Old 06-17-13, 02:11 PM
Beatdemon
Driver School Candidate

Unfortunately if the needle glass itself is broken Richards instructions will not help. I would suggest buying a used cluster on ebay or similar route. Then just swap the needle assembly.
Ah, can you do that fairly easily? Do you have a tutorial on lexls.com that shows how to do such a thing? I didn't think about getting one of those to use as spare parts (probably because they look complicated to open).

Also, can you easily swap out the odometer if I decided to use the entire cluster (in the event I find one that is in great shape)? I'd need to put my odometer on it, obviously.

Thanks!

Last edited by Beatdemon; 06-17-13 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-17-13, 04:38 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Beatdemon
Ah, can you do that fairly easily? Do you have a tutorial on lexls.com that shows how to do such a thing? I didn't think about getting one of those to use as spare parts (probably because they look complicated to open).

Also, can you easily swap out the odometer if I decided to use the entire cluster (in the event I find one that is in great shape)? I'd need to put my odometer on it, obviously.

Thanks!
I do not. However, the referenced link in the needle tutorial shows how to disassemble the cluster for the most part. I believe there's just a few screws to get the needles out and then you align the needle and rotate it out of the cluster face.

And yes, if you found another cluster that's just better overall you could swap your odometer, assuming a 90-92 cluster.
Old 06-17-13, 04:44 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
The return of LexLS, Welcome back!
Thank you PD, good to be back and posting! I was never gone, just a busy life these days with a toddler to watch over and teach tools...who loves watching and imitating me

Quick Reply: Repair Partially Lit Instrument Cluster Needles