LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How to install subwoofer in 1999 Lexus LS400

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 02:11 AM
majahops
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install subwoofer in 1999 Lexus LS400

I am hoping to install a decent quality aftermarket subwoofer in my 1999 Lexus LS 400. I was just wondering if anybody might be able to tell me what parts I will need to do this and how? I'm a surgeon and, prior to medical school, I was a computer technician... so I am somewhat technically inclined, but I admittedly have very little experience with auto-related work... I'm really interested in getting into it, though, and if anybody could please help me out, it'd mean so much to me.

Thank you so much!!!

Tim

Last edited by majahops; 06-08-13 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-08-13, 08:54 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by majahops
I'm a surgeon and, prior to medical school, I was a computer technician...
You are a surgeon and you are worried about doing this yourself? lol

Just teasing. I'm sure you're doing it for the love of the project.
Old 06-08-13, 08:59 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

I am hoping to install a decent quality aftermarket subwoofer in my 1999 Lexus LS 400. I was just wondering if anybody might be able to tell me what parts I will need to do this and how? I'm a surgeon and, prior to medical school, I was a computer technician... so I am somewhat technically inclined, but I admittedly have very little experience with auto-related work... I'm really interested in getting into it, though, and if anybody could please help me out, it'd mean so much to me.

Thank you so much!!!

Tim
You should look into getting an aftermarket head unit and bypass the factory amp and run an aftermarket amp to which ever sub you decide to go with. Look in the audio section, you will get more info there
Old 06-08-13, 09:02 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

surgeon sturgeon, with the supposedly big pay checks come big hours, big paperwork, big commitment to a population thinking docs have all the answers and big regulation these days. Doctors are just like you and me wanting a fulfilling day, a homelife and weekends to putz with stuff to have time to themselves! I too am in healthcare know all about it.

Does the 400 need a 12 ohm subwoofer like the 430? Is it overpriced and mediocre like the 430's? The 430's folks seem to go with Kicker 8 ohm's I am sure there are some DYI threads on the 400.
Old 06-08-13, 09:31 AM
Twista4004
Driver

JEEZ, It's a joke!

I know VERY well how they live as my extended family owns a medical facility. Further, I have spent MANY hours working there in many capacities and seeing how these doctors transition from professional to wanting to build a cabinet for their tools at home.

But still, they make a butt ton more money than the average.

---back to our regularly scheduled thread.

majahops, you may consider removing the carpeting from trunk area to expose possible wire routing locations so that you can CLEANLY run lines from trunk, behind seat, under carpet, through firewall to battery. Maybe add a capacitor depending on how much power you want.
Old 06-08-13, 10:10 AM
majahops
Driver School Candidate

First off haha glad I sparked that discussion. There's nothing like the satisfaction you get from doing something yourself... And I've always felt like a little bit of a wuss for not knowing my way around a car. To be honest it's not about the increased bass as much as it is an excuse to actually do something myself on my car... There's no way ill get to use that bass when my wife's in the car anyway haha.

Thanks so much for the info guys, it really means a lot!!! Hope you all have great weekends.
Old 06-08-13, 11:06 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

No offense intended I was just having fun also!. But butt load of money all relative. Good luck on the 400!
Old 06-08-13, 11:20 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

First off haha glad I sparked that discussion. There's nothing like the satisfaction you get from doing something yourself... And I've always felt like a little bit of a wuss for not knowing my way around a car. To be honest it's not about the increased bass as much as it is an excuse to actually do something myself on my car... There's no way ill get to use that bass when my wife's in the car anyway haha.

Thanks so much for the info guys, it really means a lot!!! Hope you all have great weekends.
The stock sub give pretty good bass/sound itself already so you should be good with the stock. If dont want to do anything major etc you can always just replace the stock sub with another 8", I used to have a kicker comp in mine
Old 06-08-13, 09:05 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are a couple of threads you might find relevant to your interests, if you replace your head unit and such.
Old 06-18-13, 09:35 AM
majahops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
The stock sub give pretty good bass/sound itself already so you should be good with the stock. If dont want to do anything major etc you can always just replace the stock sub with another 8", I used to have a kicker comp in mine
That idea sounds awesome! Will it pretty much just plug-and-play without needing to change the mounting or anything? Is there any specific model that you'd recommend as likely to fit?

Thanks so much!!!
Old 06-18-13, 09:55 AM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

That idea sounds awesome! Will it pretty much just plug-and-play without needing to change the mounting or anything? Is there any specific model that you'd recommend as likely to fit?

Thanks so much!!!
The stock have a harness on it and the replacement will not but if you are not gonna be using the stock sub anymore I guess you can wire that harness postive and negative to the aftermarket sub. As for mounting I drop the sub from top in and screw in like that
Old 06-18-13, 10:46 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

does anyone know the exact brand and model number of our amp & sub, so I could research a replacement that would be a perfect match electrically (impedance, power, etc.) for a plug & play install? (no wiring except the connectors)
Old 06-18-13, 01:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Some additional audio talk:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...up-thread.html
Old 06-19-13, 09:41 PM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You are saying that you want to replace the sub and use the exisiting amp, or upgrade the amp as well?