LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Washed/de-greased engine now won't start -damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 10:42 AM
BERT1FLORE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washed/de-greased engine now won't start -damage

I joined this forum for this question.
I just bought a 92 LS400 that is in unbelivable good condition for cheap at $850.
It just needs the power stearing pressure hose replace.

I drove the car home and let the engine totaly cool down and then I washed the engine. I did not use high presure water, just a gargen hose and shower nozzel and degreaser.
I wanted to wash the engine because it was filthy and power stearing fluid made it even worse.

Now it will not start,
All electrics, lights, horn, radio etc,work.
The engine will not crank or spin. It's like there is no power getting to the starter solenoid.
The fuse box is dry and I cannot find any obvious bad fuses. A few of the fuses are rather odd in that they are round and some are cubed shaped and I don't know how to check them.

Did I do some thing bad?
Has any one experienced this?
I'm praying it will dry out. I promise never to wash this engine again.
Please comment

Last edited by RA40; 06-05-13 at 12:19 PM. Reason: merged threads
Old 06-02-13, 11:42 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

let it dry and try it again.

its odd that it wont even crank.

also whenever i wash the engine bay, I do so with it running.
Old 06-02-13, 11:49 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

water on electrical equipment can cause it to short. when you wash your engine bay, youre supposed to cover the electrical components specifically the starter and igniton components.

hopefully the stuff just needs to dry.

if you have conpressed air id hit it with that, other than that maybe a hair dryer on an extension cord
Old 06-02-13, 12:04 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

leave hood open and put an industrial size fan in place to blow in

then disconnect battery leads and check them, as well as connection at bolt about 2 inches downstream on cable from + terminal

also check all big fuses under hood
Old 06-02-13, 12:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Let it dry out. One aspect to these aging cars is that the rubber parts are not as pliable as when the car was fresh. Water easily penetrates and with all the electronics under the hood, introducing water is a sure way to cause issues. The last dozen of "I just washed my engine bay" threads, not starting is a common instance or running rough. Luckily with the warmer weather you just have to wait it out.

Two areas of awareness: the intake plenum area collects water and combined with oil, this gooey mess will remain near forever unless it is cleaned up. Water into a P&S fluid soaked alternator is an alternator killing event. P&S fluid alone does that but water allows the fluid to migrate even deeper into the windings.

As you discovered, old cars and engine washings are not good combinations.
Old 06-02-13, 02:32 PM
BERT1FLORE
Driver School Candidate

Ok and thank you for the replies.
One thing of concern.
As I was pulling apart a few electical harness connectors they would crumble and most appear to be broken from the previous owners...maybe this is why the car was so cheap. I'm afraid it may need an entire new wiring harness or at the verly least have all new connectors spliced into the harness.
I do really like this car. I bought for my God Daughter as a HS graduation present but I wouldn't mind keeping it myself. After 21 years it still looks impressive!
I'm encouraged some of you think it may dry out and bummed about the possibility of a ruined alternator.
It dosent make any sense that the engine now will not crank, what the heck could be interlocking out power to the starter?
I think I read some where that if the alternator fails on this car it's a major problem. Why should it be any different from other cars?

Last edited by BERT1FLORE; 06-02-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 03:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That is typical that connectors become brittle over the years of heat cycling. As well the rubber vacuum and other hoses will be in similar condition. If you do any work with the intake, don't bother to pull off a hardened hose, cut off and replace with a fresh one. The plastic on the intake piping is equally brittle and that is a big $ if it needs to be replaced. (I learned the hard way and even though I know, this isn't the first time I've had a jump -up-down curse fit at my lameness.)

A leaking power steering pump adds more $ to a repair if the fluid drips into the alternator for an extended period and kills it. The alternator failing isn't any different than on another car. It is reasonably easy to reach and replace.

As for the car not starting, just have to wait that out. As LScowboyLS mentioned open the hood and give it time.
Old 06-02-13, 07:40 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

RA40 makes some great points about 20 year old wiring and vacuum hoses, and these cars are the finest ever built and they deserve a freshening of the wiring and hoses. - You don't need a whole new harness, but you may need to repair some deteriorated areas, it's not bad if you can crimp & solder & heat shrink!

as far as the alternator, the original Nippon Denso alternator is bullet proof and lasts forever if you keep the power steering from leaking on to it.

These alternators are so good, that when I ruined mine from procrastinating the repair and letting the power steering leak on it for months, I made sure I found a replacement with a super low core charge ($20 at Advance), because no way they are getting that incredibly well built alternator away from me, I will throw some new brushes in it and it will be back on the car soon!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-03-13 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 03:15 AM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
RA40 makes some great points about 20 year old wiring and vacuum hoses, and these cars are the finest ever built and they deserve a freshening of the wiring and hoses. - You don't need a whole new harness, but you may need to repair some deteriorated areas, it's not bad if you can crimp & solder & heat shrink!

as far as the alternator, the original Nippon Denso alternator is bullet proof and lasts forever if you keep the power steering from leaking on to it.

These alternators are so good, that when I ruined mine from procrastinating the repair and letting the power steering leak on it for months, I made sure I found a replacement with a super low core charge ($20 at Advance), because no way they are getting that incredibly well built alternator away from me, I will throw some new brushes in it and it will be back on the car soon!
Thats good to know. How difficult is it to change the brushes?

To the OP. Did the car fire up?
Old 06-05-13, 10:54 AM
BERT1FLORE
Driver School Candidate

Default Washed engine caused damage thread.

Just got a quote from a supposedly reputable repair shop stating that the Starter is destroyed.
This entails removing intake and exhaust, 6-7 hours labor and parts...I'm looking at having to shell out around $1000 to replace a freakin starter!

Does this sound right to you guys that because
I washed the engine, it ruined the starter and the repair is this much money?
Old 06-05-13, 11:12 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

That's about right for the repair as the starter in the center of the engine, underneath the intake manifold... Lot of stuff has to come off to get to it...
I had water problems after I washed my 95... but it was related to water in the spark plug tubes that was causing a rough idle and miss... found the water in the rear plug, passenger side.

must have been a lot of water...wonder if you can dry it out well and get it working? I can't see the water doing permanent damage...but then I'm not an expert.
I'd open it up and put some air on it for awhile... others, can of course, speak up..
Old 06-05-13, 11:36 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't trust who ever told u that
Old 06-05-13, 11:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

2nd opinion never hurts.

I also made the mistake of power-washing the bottom of the engine. I was careful not spray any electrical connectors but she was very unhappy for a few hours till she dried out. Never will make that mistake again.
Old 06-05-13, 11:48 AM
bdan
Driver

Dang, I was about to pressure washer my engine. Looks like Ill just take a damp rag to everything. Sorry about what happened to your guys' LS
Old 06-05-13, 11:51 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you guys shut off your engine or leave it running while power washing?

Quick Reply: Washed/de-greased engine now won't start -damage