LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS 400 200K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 06:02 AM
Rip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LS 400 200K miles?

Hey guys, so I have been pondering buying this used Lexus but I am not sure if it is a worth while gamble. I though who better to ask then the people here.

The main concern is the car has just over 200k miles. I test drove it and it ran fine. No obvious mechanical problems. It does have the instrument cluster problem (speedo and gas guage choose when to and not to work). but Other than that, clean outside, mostly clean inside (cracking leather in some spots). I'm sure you guys will have other things I should look for.

The guy is asking $900 and really has no idea about these cars. He claims to have gotten it in a package deal and is almost just curiously seeing if it will sell. It may not seem like a lot of money to gamble but I am in a financial rut at the moment.

This would be my everyday car, my old buick decided to quit last week, so I desperately need a reliable cheap to get me 25 miles or more a day.

Thanks for any and all responses.
Old 06-01-13, 07:40 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Just keep in mind that general upkeep is significantly more on these cars as the parts are kind of pricey.

Other than that, its difficult for us to make a good estimate on whether or not $900 is a good deal for that particular car, as we can't see it's condition or anything.

Are you mechanically inclined?
Old 06-01-13, 07:59 AM
Rip
Driver School Candidate

I would say I am moderately mechanically inclined. Not an expert by any means but I know quite a bit.

I can say that the exterior of the car is in very nice shape, minimal rust if any. The interior is not bad either, just ususal cracking of old sun dried leather. The only known issues is the speedometer and gas gauge intermittently work. When I test drove it the speedo worked fine but the gas gauge stayed at E. I know this is a relatively common problem.

The engine had no clunk, the tranny did not slip or hesitate, the brakes worked fine. It has specifically 203k miles on it. Got it up to 60 with no shaking or any issues. The engine looked clean and sounded as it should. Undercarriage is rust free.

The dealer really had no idea what to make of it, he has no prior experience with these type of cars.

I hope that helps, If you have any more questions I will answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you Yoshiman!
Old 06-01-13, 08:35 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Financial rut? You might consider something like a Corolla, Honda Civic, smaller Hyundai, etc. that is much less expensive to maintain, that gets better mileage on regular gasoline and doesn't go through tires like $#!+ through a goose. I've driven LS400's every day for over 23 years (300,000+ miles). While they have been less expensive to run than the Mercedes cars I've owned, they are not economy cars. The 15 gallons of premium I put in my 00 LS yesterday cost over $60 ... over $140 in gas in the last seven days due to a 400 Labor Day weekend trip and my regular 25 mile total daily commute - and my 00 LS gets substantially better mileage than a 93 LS (I drove a similar 90 LS for 13+ years).
Old 06-01-13, 10:49 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

i just passed 230k last weekend on my 92. Your price sounds like a steal. But like others have said upkeep can dig deep in the pocket. Just hope yours won't need major stuff too soon. i don't use mine as a daily since my job gives me a work truck. So mine sits in the garage most of the time.

But it still gets pampered.
Old 06-01-13, 11:38 AM
CIGLexus
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

200k is not really a problem.

The 1990 I previously bought had 245k, the 1993 I just bought has 175 or 190, not sure really it had no cluster.

2 things, check the transmission fluid color, make sure it's not black (should be red). Also if you can inspect the timing belt condition.

The timing belt and the transmission (if it went out) would be 2 major concerns.
Old 06-01-13, 12:19 PM
Rip
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a bunch guys, I appreciate all the responses. Unfortunately when I drove by the lot today it was not in sight. I am waiting on a return call but I think it may be sold. Seems someone else is either blessed or burdened with it. Maybe one day this thread will help someone else in my position. I do feel bummed it is gone. Anyways Thanks again for the help. I hope the new owner treats it nice!
Old 06-01-13, 12:27 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doubt it's gonna be a burden from what you described. Think you missed out on a meme changing car.......Lord knows I'm different since my UCF 10. Any new car in the future will forever be judged against this LS I have.
Old 06-01-13, 01:38 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

just keep an eye out. another one is bound to pop up here shortly =)
Old 06-02-13, 12:38 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

seems like you like big cars. another option for you would be a Toyota Avalon. I have a 98 xls and it is a great car. 24 mpg in suburban driving; 27 on the road fully loaded. get an XLS because it has the premium stereo with the subwoofer. I have the bench seat which is very comfortable. took it from denver to new york, round trip. as for buicks, I had a '95 le sabre. picked up my wife and daughter at the airport in Denver. stopped at a red light. my daughter turned to say something to my wife in the back seat and said "that truck's going to hit us". we were rear-ended by a mack truck, literally. not a semi; a 20' straight truck. no one hurt. avalons are known as "japanese buicks", in the best sense.
Old 06-03-13, 01:42 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the thing I love about the LS400, it that if you are mechanically inclined, and have some time to work on it, most everything that ever seems to go wrong on these cars (and they are likely the most reliable car in automotive history), are things that are all labor, with insignificant parts costs!

take about the worst thing that ever happens to these cars as a for instance, the starter contacts - super cheap part, and about 10 hours labor! - lol

heck, one time my $850 Idle Air Control Valve went out, so I just made one out of a $2 plastic child's notebook, and it has been purring along with that installed for a year!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 06-03-13 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 06:45 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Plus one on the Avalon recommendation... cheaper to operate than the LS400, very roomy rear seat and will last a long time with proper care. Over 200k miles on our 95 and still works great.
Old 06-03-13, 12:00 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Financial rut? You might consider something like a Corolla, Honda Civic, smaller Hyundai, etc. that is much less expensive to maintain, that gets better mileage on regular gasoline and doesn't go through tires like $#!+ through a goose. I've driven LS400's every day for over 23 years (300,000+ miles). While they have been less expensive to run than the Mercedes cars I've owned, they are not economy cars. The 15 gallons of premium I put in my 00 LS yesterday cost over $60 ... over $140 in gas in the last seven days due to a 400 Labor Day weekend trip and my regular 25 mile total daily commute - and my 00 LS gets substantially better mileage than a 93 LS (I drove a similar 90 LS for 13+ years).
agreed. people always gravitate towards an old lexus due to being cheap and reliable (which of course they are) but they don't see the hidden work behind it all. it takes lots of upkeep and maintenance to keep a car going well over 200k. if you can find a car with known service history, i would pull the trigger but keep in mind these cars usually get between 18-23 mpg on PREMIUM fuel.
Old 06-04-13, 08:47 AM
xyzzy_dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my 98 LS400 with about 238K miles is any indication.... I love the car and the powertrain, suspension, and major systems are bulletproof but starting at about 200K is when a lot of the accessory systems start to go. Just had to repair my ignition lock. My automatic climate control no longer heats consistently. Got the sticking speedo/tach problem. My power window switches are busted from wear. Had to replace my driver's door handle. Things like that Before 200K I never had to do anything, now these ancillary systems are starting to add up.
Old 06-04-13, 10:36 AM
JSC4
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

for $900 id buy it... see whats up and if its fked then re-sell it (for same/higher)

Quick Reply: 93 LS 400 200K miles?