LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A few maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-13, 09:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Default A few maintenance questions

Is there a procedure to test if the electric cooling fan is working properly? I drove back to my office today, it's about 83 degree's, with the ac running. Parked and popped the hood just to listen to the motor for a min and noticed the electric fan was not running with the car in park and the ac on. I thought that fan comes on whenever you use the ac or does it turn on when needed?

I travel often with work and park my car at times for weeks. My father started her after a few weeks and he said he heard some valve noise that smoothed out after a min of idling. I have also heard a little valve noise when I let her sit for a while and at first start up. Any recommendations on this? She has plenty of fresh oil and I also had the lower oil pan gasket replaced recently. I wonder if it would be good to have a family member start the car every 3 days or so so all the oil does not drain from the upper engine. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-20-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 10:27 AM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Just unplug the fan and hook voltage up to the connectors. Thats how the FSM says to test it. It should fire right up for you.

As long as you start cars and fully warm them up around once a month (as in actually driving it) thats good enough to charge the battery and get all the fluids circulated. Oh, and run the A/C too, even if its cold out. Air conditioners are notorious for malfunctioning in places with cold winters and short summers, like here in Colorado, because the system sits idle for 8 months out if the year, the seals dry up, and the refrigerant inevitably leaks out.

My old Coupe Deville was maintained like that for most of its 37 year life, and all the underhood rubber (all of it being original) was still very soft and pliable when i started changing it out just due to age.

Last edited by YoshiMan; 05-20-13 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 11:05 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions Yoshi,

I did figure out the fan question. I called a Lexus dealer and they said the fan does have its own thermostat and only comes on when needed. I went back out and turned her on and let the AC run to see if the electrical fan would turn on and sure enough it did. I guess I just did not give it enough time.

When I asked about valve noise the service rep did mention that valve lash can become an issue over time but he said it really was not worth doing anything until it becomes a problem. I would like to avoid hard cold starts for the sake of the motor though. I am thinking that starting the car every 3 days or so would be good instead of letting her sit for a few weeks without circulation of the oil.
Old 05-20-13, 11:58 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

what oil are you using?
Old 05-20-13, 12:19 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

My last oil change was from the Toyota dealer. Factory 5w30 regular I assume. I have used mobile 1 before. I probably should switch back to synthetic.
Old 05-20-13, 12:28 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
Just unplug the fan and hook voltage up to the connectors. Thats how the FSM says to test it. It should fire right up for you.
yes, that is a fine test for the fan, but it tells you nothing about the other half of the equation, the thermo-sensor that tells the fan to come on, and if that goes bad, well the net effect is just as bad for the car as if the fan itself were bad, since it's not running

usually fan or fans sensor issues will show up as either the car running a bit hot at idle or A/C being anemic at idle or both!
Old 05-20-13, 12:34 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
My last oil change was from the Toyota dealer. Factory 5w30 regular I assume. I have used mobile 1 before. I probably should switch back to synthetic.
I am always afraid of the low-bid oils that dealers keep in their mystery drum, this why I change my own, because oil and filter may be a job for a dumb-bell, but if not done right or with crappy ingredients, the consequences are high!

and after years of working as a mechanic at a Lexus dealership, I can assure you that it is not the master mechanics doing the oil changes, it is the high school flunkies!

if you want to make oil changes really easy, get yourself a Fumoto valve, these are engineered to full Lexus quality, I love em!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-20-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 12:39 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Good point Cowboy. I will switch back to Mobile 1 or similar and I am thinking about doing that larger filer as mentioned in your other thread.
Old 05-20-13, 01:10 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

some afternoon when you have time, clean out your oil control valves, drivers side if usually the culpert but I went ahead and done the rhs also.. this could be your valve noise.. make sure the snap action is good... if you need to go look at a new one and see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails A few maintenance questions-ocv-loc.jpg   A few maintenance questions-oil-control-valve.jpg   A few maintenance questions-ocv-oil-controll-valvee.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 05-20-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 03:07 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I will definitely do that. Thanks Billy.