LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Her name is Lola.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 04:19 AM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Her name is Lola.

greetings! been snooping around here since i bought my LS(my first car i bought), and decided to start here! currently unemployed, tried to find a good project to hone my driving skills, and ran into this! noticed her in a photo on facebook, and for the cool price of $150, she was all mine as a warning, this build might take a while since my budget and tools are minimal..

so the story goes:
-original owner parked it because of a dead starter.
-sold car to co-worker
-said coworker buys starter and attempts to do the install, never finished. stopped after replacing the starter and bolting up lower intake mani.
-i buy the car, and here we are!
mileage is around 117k, which isnt so bad.. interior is TOASTEDDD..breaks werent locked up, and wire harness seemed to be intact.. engine oil is golden and trans fluids are a clear reddish color.rear doors have some rust holes..as of now, she just clicks when attempting to crank. some nuts and bolts are missing, so i havent been able to finish the intake install just yet.. the worst part in my opinion, is that the previous owners left the gastank cover off, and the entry point has rusted pretty bad so im going to pull the tank out and pray to the sky that its not as bad as it could be..
Since the original owner tossed the paperwork for her, and retrieving paperwork here is a tough task, im planning on building her for my local track... for now at least.
first on my To-do list is to get her running! then adress the body issues, some decent coilovers, remove some luxury components, yadda yadda.. more pics to come, as soon as the checks come in
Old 05-19-13, 04:37 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what "luxury components" are you removing? why?
Old 05-19-13, 07:24 AM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DannySz
what "luxury components" are you removing? why?
ABS, power chairs, traction control, rear seat, some plastic bits and the sound deadening.maybe AC.. planning on gutting for track use..
Old 05-19-13, 07:32 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

sounds like a waste of time to me....
Old 05-19-13, 07:55 AM
Mega
Driver

No job, no tools.....this won't go anywhere.
Old 05-19-13, 08:13 AM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

thanks for those wise words of wisdom!
ill keep that in mind when gutting this piggy
Old 05-19-13, 11:15 AM
Hodson
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gut it, straightpipe and 5 speed it and you've got a track machine

If I were you I think the first thing I would do is get that mother****er cleaned up. Nothing less motivating than going to work on a disgustingly dirty car. Take off that chrome fender trim too
Old 05-19-13, 11:18 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

No paperwork for the car?
Old 05-19-13, 12:42 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the leaves have taken over the engine!!!
Old 05-19-13, 03:06 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

How can you even undertake this with no job or source of income? Anyway good look.
Old 05-19-13, 04:23 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Jeez, the guy is going to try and bring an LS400 back from the dead and you guys are critisizing him? If i scored an LS400 like that i would try too before just sending it the the scrappers! I have had quite a few cars over the years that have cleaned up rather well, and that one in particular is no exception. And would you rather see this one with a wrecked interior get "drifted out" or would you like to see it happen to one in pristine condition? To each and their own!
Old 05-19-13, 05:02 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mega
No job, no tools.....this won't go anywhere.
I laughed at this remark so hard that I have coffee all over my keyboard now!
Old 05-19-13, 07:01 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl" (sorry, old Barry Manilow song). "Was" being the opportune word.

You only paid $150! The rims/tires alone are worth that much. Part it out. Make some beer money.
Old 05-19-13, 07:37 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

5 speeed? now thats a project! of course id love that for this car, bt for now, ill just stick to getting her moving again.. and i know shes dirty, bt thats how i like my girls will wash her when shes running again and i start tackling the body. oh and F*&% that fender trim

paperwork? the original owner tossed it when she went down, which is why im aiming at a track car only. if the owner helps me out and retrieves the papers, then ill have a cherry street machine!

and as for income and tools?i buy and sell alot.. auto parts, RCs, paintball, etc.. not enough to bring this back to pristine condition, but enough to keep me smiling when whipping around the corners! as for tools, what im really missing are the engine lift, compressor, welder, and the repair manual.. oh, and a canopy.. guahan gets hott as hell! all these tools can be found at my uncles house, where he builds 12 sec. toyota pickups!

thanks Yoshiman, and all who remained positive. when i saw her, i couldnt let her rot away. i know this isnt the build you all are wetting your pants for, bt to be frank, i couldnt care less about what you think of me OR my build. i posted here in hopes that this would be a helpful and friendly forum.. well see.
Old 05-19-13, 07:44 PM
BAZER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by randal
"Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl" (sorry, old Barry Manilow song). "Was" being the opportune word.

You only paid $150! The rims/tires alone are worth that much. Part it out. Make some beer money.
haha i know right?! sadly, i dont drink.. id rather drift! sand hes in too good a shape to just kill her off now.. to me at least

Quick Reply: Her name is Lola.