LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!

Old 07-20-14, 08:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

which toyota filters did you buy? Some are complete cheap crap.

You ought to read the thread..
Old 07-21-14, 03:51 AM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Off Topic:

There have been numerous reports of filter media failures in Purolator filters. Classics, PureONEs and other branded filters made by Purolator so I would use them with caution.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...es#Post3360799

I don't know if the list is is being updated/current, but the media failure reports are still coming in.

I've had a Bosch Premium fail recently:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...30_-_Torn_Medi

I haven't yet swapped the Bosch D+ that's mentioned in the above link. I swapped a low service Bosch D+ out of my van so I'm not to concerned.....yet:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ch_D+_Cut_Open

There has also been a few reports of MC filter failures as well.
Old 07-21-14, 07:52 AM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Off Topic:

There have been numerous reports of filter media failures in Purolator filters. Classics, PureONEs and other branded filters made by Purolator so I would use them with caution.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...es#Post3360799

I don't know if the list is is being updated/current, but the media failure reports are still coming in.

I've had a Bosch Premium fail recently:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...30_-_Torn_Medi

I haven't yet swapped the Bosch D+ that's mentioned in the above link. I swapped a low service Bosch D+ out of my van so I'm not to concerned.....yet:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ch_D+_Cut_Open

There has also been a few reports of MC filter failures as well.
Some people are cutting the filter in a way to cause tears intentionally and advertise against Purolator. Some are paid directly by the can of death company. Bobistheoilguy website is the conduit of this dirty game.
Old 07-21-14, 05:49 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by blumonster
Some people are cutting the filter in a way to cause tears intentionally and advertise against Purolator. Some are paid directly by the can of death company. Bobistheoilguy website is the conduit of this dirty game.
Do you have any examples of this?
Old 07-21-14, 06:03 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by blumonster
LOL, just exit this thread.
Old 07-21-14, 10:50 PM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paulo57509
Do you have any examples of this?
What do you mean? Somebody faking it and taking a picture of faking. I do not carry the burden of proof, the claimants do. But all I have seen is tears closer to where the cans are cut from. Favorites change from time to time and it is not Purolator season in bobisthe website. As far as I can see those photos come mainly from new members with few posts.

Here is a 'new member' with 3 posts on a mission:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...f_PureOne_oil_

Last edited by blumonster; 07-23-14 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-21-14, 10:52 PM
blumonster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
LOL, just exit this thread.
I do not see the clown, only visible to you apparently. Nothing to contribute? Do not litter.
Old 08-24-14, 12:20 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The advantage of running a larger capacity filter of any sort, is the extra area with in to hold more debris, its just that simple. As far as any filter brand having some sort of problem, most always it can be traced back to what country is manufacturing it. Any country that can't make pet food that won't harm your pet, most likely can not do anything else right either. Its too bad all our bandages are made there too, kinda scary isn't it?
Old 08-24-14, 03:52 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
The advantage of running a larger capacity filter of any sort, is the extra area with in to hold more debris, its just that simple.
a clean air filter and a regular oci and the stock filter will do more than suffice..its not like the filter is going to become clogged. people around here have well over 300,000 all while using the recommended filter.
Old 08-24-14, 07:43 AM
UNCNOR
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oci???????????????????

What is OCI?????????????????????
Old 08-24-14, 08:05 AM
brybo86
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OCI= Oil change interval, how long you have driven before changing the oil
Old 08-25-14, 01:20 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by python
a clean air filter and a regular oci and the stock filter will do more than suffice..its not like the filter is going to become clogged. people around here have well over 300,000 all while using the recommended filter.
If an oil filter will never become clogged then there is no reason to ever change it then.
And why don't the large truck and heavy equipment engine manufactures just use a Lexus recommended oil filter in place of the large size and multiple units they usually install on such installations.
Reason is because large size and using more than one unit means more filter area. The whole reason for a filter is to catch debris.
The stock filter for a 1990 LS400 is the same one used on a 3 cylinder Geo metro, "will do more than suffice", maybe with low mile oil changes, but with folks increasing OCI that means more of a chance of that little filter loading up.
Old 08-25-14, 06:39 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

one reason is because ur talking 5,10,15 gallons of oil in comparison to a 6 quart sump. a 41348 wix filter can go as long as 10,000 miles,same as a 41516 which both consist of synthetic glass media. the 41348 has a lower micron rating than the larger filter..so in essence ur actually shooting urself in the foot
u can put a larger filter but u wont gain any more filtration to speak of
I work at napa and this is my job to know my products...anyways..ur car do as u see fit.
Old 04-16-15, 09:36 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bigger oil filter

I have room to run an oil filter basically twice as long as stock. Is there any advantage running a bigger filter ? (If I can find one) (I'm currently using PureOne PL10241)
Old 04-17-15, 12:53 AM
cgawelko
Pole Position

I used a Motorcraft FL400S but they really cut the quality in recent years, so I buy the AMSOIL filter for a 2000 ford mustang V6 - im a dealer so I get it at a good price plus I dont have to worry about quality like the Motorcraft

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Size matters! - let's put a BIG oil filter on our LS!