LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is sea 10w-30 oil ok for my 92 ls???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 09:45 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by python
wow..if ur not running synthetic now and have high mileage don't run straight synthetic..and btw fram filters are garbage..get urself a wix from napa.
Originally Posted by j2b4o
Fram is garbage but switching to....
These are not very intelligent statements - There has only been one large scale massive double-blind test of oil filters in history, and by the non-profit Consumer Reports of legendary reputation as the largest and most scientific product test organization and facility in the world, no less.

In this test, NYC taxicabs had their filters changed multiple times over millions of miles (they accrue miles quickly driving 24/7/365 and in tough stop and go punishing conditions) - It was shown scientifically as a result of disassembling all of the engines and taking measurements that only a medium size particle caused the vast majority of wear because large particles are too large to get into rod bearing and other clearances, and small particles are small enough for multiple particles to get in and they tend to spin on each other, acting like little ball bearings rather than wearing these critical small clearances.

In these test the engines were completely disassembled, mic-ed, and the particle sizes remaining in the used oil were measured, all of the major brands were included, including Wix as well as the manufacturer's filters.

The result was the plain old basic Fram filter did a better job with the highly damaging medium sized particles than ANY of the other filters, and I just recommended their BEST filter and you guys called it garbage, I would sure like to know with what you can back that statement up with?

Answer: Nothing but hearsay and fan-boy-ism

So I ask that you please retract the "Fram is garbage" statement, because unless you have many millions of dollars for a similarly huge scientifically controlled double-blind test and a fancy lab to analyze the results in, you can't possibly back up that statement.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-14-13 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 11:05 AM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use fram on my lexus and cadillac
Old 05-14-13, 12:08 PM
ReySC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice informative discussions that are very helpful to me. While I am not advocating, I am personally a believer in synthetic oils. Works wonders for me. Been buying MObil 1 in gallons whenever I find a good bargain/sale. Now I am studying researching on the kind of filter to use. My 99 just got a fresh (dino oil) oil change when I got it and it will be on synthetic on the next oil change.
Old 05-14-13, 12:20 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i'm an OEM filter user myself. at less than $5 a pop, why not!

as for synthetic oils, i am a firm believer in their performance. my friend was able to turn in his used syn oil to place called blackstone labs for an oil analysis. as the oil is the life blood of your car, this analysis is pretty much like blood work!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

after using his oil for 5000 miles, the analysis came back with so much information like metal content, coolant content, viscosity, etc, and the one worth mentioning is that the oil still had about 40-50% life left! since the test kit is free (comes with vials to put your used oil, coolant, ATF, etc), i will be trying this out soon.

has anyone else used blackstone before? i'm sure someone has.
Old 05-14-13, 01:08 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally run synthetic on my car. If your car leaks it needs attention in my book regardless of what oil you use. Also, OEM oil filter here. On any other daily that i don't give 2 **** about i use frame as it is a lil bit cheaper and closer to get than having to drive to the actual dealer to get one. And to answer the OP question, you should be fine with 10-30 since you do live in a hotter / warmer climate. Don't have to change it out, and to be honest you should be fine with that weight from now on too if you decide to use it.
Old 05-14-13, 01:57 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

an oil filter is one of the very rare components on an LS400 where I will use an aftermarket part. For 99% of the parts, you need to keep your Lexus a real Lexus by insisting on genuine Toyota or OEM (i.e. Nippon Denso) parts, most aftermarket parts are 3rd world crap or USA made crap that are not even in the same league as the original Toyota engineered parts. These company's engineering departments are a bad joke compared to Toyota.

This goes for most all "performance" parts as well, you may think you are "improving" the original design with your coilover or whatever, you're not, you're basically ruining the legendary reliability and engineering refinement of a world class vehicle which has no peer.
Old 05-14-13, 02:00 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Im not retracting anything...thats basic knowledge...fram filters are some of the worst on the market.
Www.Wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy.com
Read up u might learn something
Old 05-14-13, 02:08 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

wow..if ur not running synthetic now and have high mileage don't run straight synthetic.
Im not retracting anything...thats basic knowledge...fram filters are some of the worst on the market.
Www.Wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy.com
Read up u might learn something
Ha! - your link goes to 404 - not found, because there is no evidence that Fram is not the best, we don't really care about some "study" sponsored by Wix, I already mentioned the only large scale reputable scientific analysis that has ever been done, you bring nothing to this thread but hearsay, and that's LAME.

and FYI - basic knowledge is knowing that conventional oils and synthetics can be safely used interchangeably to your heart's content, on a car of any mileage, all of the major oil companies have researched this into the ground, it's time you got out of the 1970's!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-14-13 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 02:10 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I don't buy them myself, but I always liked those K & N oil filters. Why? Simply because they have that really cool nut on them that makes them easy to take off!
Old 05-14-13, 04:42 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

The best thing about full synthetic oils to me, is that if you are not a heavy mileage driver, you can safely cut back your oil change frequency to once a year, I change my tranny fluid at the same time, so I only have to deal with those two messy and carcinogenic jobs once a year! - That alone is worth the extra cost of the full synthetic. The lower pour point, if I were to find myself unexpectedly in frigidly cold weather, is just a bonus!
Old 05-14-13, 05:21 PM
python
Lexus Champion

never said u cant interchange oils..
404 this..that last link was from my tablet

http://wetwesties1.tripod.com/oilfilterstudy/

stop thinking u know it all cuz u dont

Last edited by python; 05-14-13 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 05:24 PM
python
Lexus Champion

http://www.google.com/search?q=fram+...rlz=1I7ADFA_en
here i typed fram oil filters review....thats it! thats what i googled...no wix sponsored anything
Old 05-14-13, 05:28 PM
python
Lexus Champion

another article
http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tundra...omparison.html
Old 05-14-13, 05:31 PM
python
Lexus Champion

heres another one...had enough yet?
http://www.vadriven.com/forums/vendo...ay-bad-241580/
Old 05-14-13, 06:49 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Wow this thread might be going south. Use which ever you feel comfortable with and as long as you change the oil and filter at proper intervals you'll be ok. I've used fram and mobile1 on all my cars and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Is sea 10w-30 oil ok for my 92 ls???