LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Powered by Max Coilovers- Any experience with them?

Old 05-07-13, 01:22 PM
Waveforms
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powered by Max Coilovers- Any experience with them?

Of all the options considered, the PBM VIP coils seem like a very attractive set. Sparkly, copper finish aside, they have a great range of lowering, and from the description, still retain a level of civility for the ride comfort. At $1200, they're priced competitively.

However, I want to hear if anyone on the forums is using them, has experience with them, or just the company in general. I contacted them sometime back and had good customer support, but it was regarding availability, not the customer satisfaction.

I'm interested in hearing your experience with the quality of the materials in the coils, quality of the ride, short/long term use, and warranty.

Thanks! Hopefully your insight can help me make my decision. If you have any alternative recommendations, please let me know and why you like them. This will be my first step in modifying my car, and I want to do it right with the proper amount of research.
Old 05-07-13, 01:35 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are buying PBM's for ride comfort then you are just wasting your money IMO
PBM's should be for super aggressive ride heights/spring rates
otherwise you cant get much better for an upper entry level coilover!
plus they look BO$$!
Old 05-07-13, 05:18 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

as stated PBM is for folks thinking of going beyond low on their LS400. there is only one member that comes to mind and that's Vincent (screen name). he however sold his car before having a go at them. there is no one else around here that i know of who has experience with PBM on an LS400. his set had spring rates at 22k front and 20k rear which is the highest they offer compared to the typical 12k/8k which BC Racing uses on their standard sets.

if you are looking for comfort, i highly suggest BC Racing since they too have competitive pricing, customizable spring rates and damping, and has lower spring rates. they are of the same quality sans bling, with a good warranty, and rebuildable, all the same features as PBM.
Old 05-07-13, 06:47 PM
Waveforms
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
as stated PBM is for folks thinking of going beyond low on their LS400. there is only one member that comes to mind and that's Vincent (screen name). he however sold his car before having a go at them. there is no one else around here that i know of who has experience with PBM on an LS400. his set had spring rates at 22k front and 20k rear which is the highest they offer compared to the typical 12k/8k which BC Racing uses on their standard sets.

if you are looking for comfort, i highly suggest BC Racing since they too have competitive pricing, customizable spring rates and damping, and has lower spring rates. they are of the same quality sans bling, with a good warranty, and rebuildable, all the same features as PBM.
I could really care less for the bling... The coils are hidden behind the wheels anyway. I'm just looking for something that's going to get me low and feel a tad sportier. The spring rates of the PBM coils are 12KG front and 10KG rear by the site's specs. However, if the spring rates on the BC racing are adjustable and the PBM's aren't, then I would have no reason to not go with the BC coils. This is assuming they're the same level of craftsmanship and materials quality.
Old 05-08-13, 07:46 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

imo they are pretty much the same
i know tons of guys running bc and pbm on 240sx and rx7s and both get hands down great reviews
both of them will do custom spring rates if they are custom ordered
save a few hundred bucks and a few weeks of shipping time and just get the out of the box BCs
Old 05-08-13, 07:55 AM
Shigen
Driver School Candidate

Got them on my 94 LS.

Quality: Pretty tough construction, the gold is really just for show. Ive been on them for about 6 months ( every rotation I check them) with no issues. The gold plating will flake a bit, but I cant really
see them so meh..

Ride quality: For being as low as my LS is, Its not that bad, It really depends on the dampening setting. (although the softer the setting, the more it will touch down) On the highway its pretty smooth, but stiff.

Warranty: It's hard to say with me. I' only have 3k miles on them, but my friend's set on his M45 is 2 years old and still drives and rides the same. I know that the drift guys wear them out much faster, and they get theirs rebuilt. I think it's $400 but check with PBM because i'm not sure.
Old 05-08-13, 08:02 AM
Waveforms
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Shigen and 240!

Are there any other options in this price range? A little more or less would be fine. I'm aware that many people run Megan EZs, but I'm interested in knowing if the BCs/PBMs are worth the extra compared to the Megans.

Last edited by Waveforms; 05-08-13 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-08-13, 10:06 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

you cant really compare them if you are talking custom vs out of the box
if you are looking for a cheap drop then obvioulsy there are other options without spending 950+
Old 05-08-13, 10:31 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

megans cannot go too low in the rear w/o adjusting the preload (lots of info on this in another thread). getting BC/PBM is worth it alone for the extra adjustability. as stated, you cannot compare a custom made coilover set to the standard set most people offer.

what year is your car and how low do you want to go? the lower you go the stiffer the car generally has to be.
Old 05-08-13, 09:07 PM
Waveforms
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
megans cannot go too low in the rear w/o adjusting the preload (lots of info on this in another thread). getting BC/PBM is worth it alone for the extra adjustability. as stated, you cannot compare a custom made coilover set to the standard set most people offer.

what year is your car and how low do you want to go? the lower you go the stiffer the car generally has to be.
Good call- It's a 1998 (UCF21). I want to pretty much eliminate wheel gap in the front and back. I'll likely roll the fenders a tad to account for the offset difference when new wheels are acquired. I have no intentions of tucking into the wheel wells, or giving my car dramatic negative camber (perhaps a degree or two at most). I think that more adjustability is better in my case, because I'll likely be riding stock wheels (16" 5 spokes with 55 section tires) for awhile, and then upgrading to 18"-19" wheels with a lower profile tire when the funds are there. I'd like to have coilovers that allows me to achieve a good stance with both sets of wheels.
Old 05-08-13, 09:24 PM
oldyota
Driver

Brand new to this forum but im interested in these coils as well.
just bought my first ls two days ago so we'll see.
Old 05-08-13, 11:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you can get 0 finger gap all around just fine with Megan LP streets and EZs.
Old 05-09-13, 06:55 AM
oldyota
Driver

doing research i think stance are the way to go. remote adjust
Old 05-09-13, 08:47 AM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had PBM's on my SC and I loved them. Super smooth and not rough due to the cars weight. On my S13's/s14's it was rough.
Old 05-09-13, 09:03 AM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by oldyota
doing research i think stance are the way to go. remote adjust
My experience with Stance is the same as many others. The lower mounts always wear out super fast. Usually only after a year or less. Simply google Stance Lower Mounts and you will see what I mean. You'll probably find a few of my threads. At one point I didn't care because I was sponsored by them, plus I was tracking them. So I assumed it was because of track use. But once I put them onto a Lexus that was driven softly around town, and the problems reoccured is when I started to complain and do more research.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Powered by Max Coilovers- Any experience with them?