LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Fuel or gremlin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 06:52 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Fuel or gremlin?

got a tuneup about 6 months ago. i changed the nasty fuel filter out last weekend.
car ran great for the first few days and now...not so much
sometimes it cuts out when trying to go full throttle
and less frequently it will completly go to **** and sputter and i have to limp it to my desitnation

my next guess is going to be fuel pump as this car has been neglected...
thespark plug wires has 1992 printed on them when i did the plugs/wires on my 93

any input? or questions that could help narrow things down?
my dash lights dont work so i cant get any codes from it
thanks!
Old 05-01-13, 12:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This may be one of the possibilities:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html
Old 05-01-13, 02:01 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

ya it just sucks cus im only having the first issue..no problems starting as of yet
also i had a friend walk around the car as i turned the key to ON and he couldnt hear the Fpump
for all i know its probably the same one thats been in there since the factory
Old 05-01-13, 02:23 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

my only other thoughts thus far
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...em-solved.html
Old 05-01-13, 04:12 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

well first things first, get rid of those antique plug wires, silly!

and while you are in there, do the caps, rotors, plugs and engine coolant temp sensor, and use use real Toyota OEM parts (i.e. dealership - OEM NipponDenso and/or NGK is fine on the wires & plugs though)

PS - my ECU capacitors thread doesn't perhaps make it clear enough, but you don't need to have ALL of the issues I listed, my ECU started with just not running well and continued to deteriorate and later developed more and more of the issues on the list as the caps got worse.

does the check engine light come on when you are limping to destination?

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 05-01-13 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 04:57 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
well first things first, get rid of those antique plug wires, silly!

and while you are in there, do the caps, rotors, plugs and engine coolant temp sensor, and use use real Toyota OEM parts (i.e. dealership - OEM NipponDenso and/or NGK is fine on the wires & plugs though)

PS - my ECU capacitors thread doesn't perhaps make it clear enough, but you don't need to have ALL of the issues I listed, my ECU started with just not running well and continued to deteriorate and later developed more and more of the issues on the list as the caps got worse.

does the check engine light come on when you are limping to destination?

i just put in ngk plugs and some wires in 6 months ago. fuel filter(filled with buttwater) last weekend.
also my dash lights dont normally work. backlighting and guage needles dont ever work.
so im lucky if i can see the battery or oil light come on if i run out of gas
Old 05-31-13, 08:45 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

oddly...i took off my hood and my car has not died or even sputtered at me since then
when it was cool and rainy yesterday i could be the drift king
but today it wont let me go open throttle after driving a bit...

DAMLS!
looks cool tho? lol
Attached Thumbnails Fuel or gremlin?-img_9577.jpg  
Old 05-31-13, 01:00 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my fuel pump went bad (90'ls) it would spit and sputter and the throttle would be all over the place. This only happened below a quarter tank of gas on a hot day. I'm not sure if your fuel gauge works so I don't know if that helps at all.
The pump is cooled when it is submerged in the gas but below 1/4 tank it starts to get exposed and overheat(they are 20+yrs old now). I was skeptical it was the pump because it ran so good when full but every time it was hot and below 1/4 it would loose power, almost stall, get a surge than crap out and so on...

Got a new denso from rockauto for like 100$~ and its ran perfect ever since and I moved down south and its way hotter than before with no problems.
Old 05-31-13, 02:18 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all of the craziness you're experiencing, you're looking at dumping tons o cash to potentially never solve this. I'd start with ecu rebuild. May save yourself a couple grand or many hundreds at least.
Old 06-03-13, 11:08 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by j2b4o
When my fuel pump went bad (90'ls) it would spit and sputter and the throttle would be all over the place. This only happened below a quarter tank of gas on a hot day. I'm not sure if your fuel gauge works so I don't know if that helps at all.
The pump is cooled when it is submerged in the gas but below 1/4 tank it starts to get exposed and overheat(they are 20+yrs old now). I was skeptical it was the pump because it ran so good when full but every time it was hot and below 1/4 it would loose power, almost stall, get a surge than crap out and so on...

Got a new denso from rockauto for like 100$~ and its ran perfect ever since and I moved down south and its way hotter than before with no problems.
sounds pretty much exactly my problem...cus after i have problems and drive around for awhile my gauges will work long enough to see my gas light is on if i dont just run out...

i put in 15 bucks the other day with my hood off and i was driftking haha
Old 06-02-14, 03:02 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

hey guys i havnt had any issues with this other than every now and then so believe its just the fuel pump when im close to E
the only codes ive thrown that i could pull were for the TPS, SUB TPS, & L MAIN OXY SENSOR
i was leaning toward a combo of a faulty tps and a clogged cat since i can smell it burning when im driving
and it only accels like normal when im barley on the gas and otherwise bogs out and sputters

THIS sounded like an easy fix to get a test pipe and new tps
but then only a few times the a/c didnt work when it was cutting and spitting at me
from everything ive read a/c not working plus misfiring is ECU
im not denying the 93 will need a rebuild at some point

MY QUESTION IS: are there any other reasons besides ecu that would cause misfire and a/c issues?
the joys of having an old neglected car that needs alot of tlc ha