LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power tilt-away repair.. "How to" tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 06:52 AM
fecker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the same thing on lunch break at work but insted of useing one zip tie i used three use the heads of two zip ties making them evenly spaced seems to work geart had it this way for 4 months now no problems great how to guide with the pics and all
Old 05-26-13, 03:19 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I was about to make a whole new thread about this..... see, the search feature is actually useful.

But what about IN/OUT? Got the Tilt working but No Telescoping with No Noise. I try to go in or out and it's completely quiet. No movement and not even a groan (insert dirty joke here).

But seriously; Any CLEAR and specific info on fixing this on Gen 1 LS?

Last edited by Twista4004; 05-26-13 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Grammar Correction
Old 05-27-13, 11:49 AM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone? I mean, I have done some searching but what I've found isn't CLEAR.
Old 09-02-13, 02:40 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

After some reading it seems like the plastic washers won't work for my 99' ? Mine recently came to a stop, no noise or anything. It never returned to my set position for a long time so I lived with it. But now it's tilted up way to high... I can live with one set position, is there a tutorial on this ? Or will the washer fix work on mine ?
Old 09-02-13, 07:00 PM
rick1987
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
After some reading it seems like the plastic washers won't work for my 99' ? Mine recently came to a stop, no noise or anything. It never returned to my set position for a long time so I lived with it. But now it's tilted up way to high... I can live with one set position, is there a tutorial on this ? Or will the washer fix work on mine ?
Mine is starting to make noise when it auto tilts.

I think I will need to do some fixing soon.

year 2000 here...
Old 09-03-13, 09:02 PM
tanqueRay
Driver School Candidate

+1 on a fix for 98-00...my 99 has been stuck in the down position since I bought it, and it makes a squealing noise when you tell it to go up or out, but not in or down. sounds like something is stuck...I've heard the motor might just need to be pulled apart and cleaned/regreased...can anyone confirm this?
Old 02-13-14, 12:27 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

well its going on a year now since my zip tie fix and the thing still works perfect. damn didnt know about the 98-00 tilt away sealed motor. guess this is a monster ill have to deal with when i get my 99 ls400.. someday
Old 04-13-15, 11:37 AM
Stevengoye
Driver School Candidate

Default Tilt Wheel Spacer - Oil Plug Washer

Originally Posted by ttyR2
I assume you could also use nylon washers available from most any hardware store as well.
Just fixed mine with Ace Hdwr item 19539, 2 each, $ .39 each.
Old 01-20-16, 05:52 AM
gngai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shaft1
I had the dealer turn off this feature on my '99 LS400 so I dont have to worry about breaking it. No problems getting in and out of the car with the wheel set in one position.
Hi. Did the dealer charge you to do that?
Old 01-20-16, 06:12 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im now seeing this starting to happen on the Ls430s as well, I have a ucf10 with this problem too , when I dig into it ill post it here. pretty sure its the same setup on the 1st gen. infact if you have any Ls400 this is the one part that I guarantee is going to fail and it wont matter how low the miles are or how well you take care of it. its an age thing that is totally unavoidable. id go as far as to say if the one on your car is still working just replace it anyway and get it out of the way cause you will be eventually.
Old 01-20-16, 06:30 AM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick1987
Mine is starting to make noise when it auto tilts.

I think I will need to do some fixing soon.

year 2000 here...
Mine used to make a groaning noise during auto telescope too. I opened up the casing to see if lubing the worm gear with lithium grease would help, and it turned out to just be a loose bolt on the bracket that holds the worm screw in place. After tightening it up (and greasing things up while I was in there) everything moves smoothly and silently now.
Old 01-21-16, 09:45 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I went to the Walmart garden section and bought the hard rubber hose washers in a set of 10 for I think $1.15.

My tilt wheel failed at 10'oclock at night and I wasn't about to drive 50 miles home in school bus mode. So, thankfully Walmart was open 24hrs and they had plenty of these in stock.
Old 06-21-18, 10:12 AM
SexyLexyII
Driver School Candidate

My bf was able to fix my power tilt, it made no noise at all but did spin when the button was pressed 8 times in a row, showing that the gear didn't catch on the spring loaded connector. He put in a fairly thick plumbing washer. The hard part was getting the gear out. After many failed attempts with various tools he bought a set of Mechanic's Picks at an Auto Parts store and it was easy. Now she tilts any way you wish and her positions are memorized. Interestingly this fix also automatically repaired the Memory Seat Feature that wasn't working anymore. No dealership would touch it and independent shops said only a steering column replacement could fix it. Now Lexy's as good as new! Thanks to the community for this super effective repair job.
Old 06-21-18, 02:45 PM
Hobycat
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SexyLexyII
My bf was able to fix my power tilt, it made no noise at all but did spin when the button was pressed 8 times in a row, showing that the gear didn't catch on the spring loaded connector. He put in a fairly thick plumbing washer. The hard part was getting the gear out. After many failed attempts with various tools he bought a set of Mechanic's Picks at an Auto Parts store and it was easy. Now she tilts any way you wish and her positions are memorized. Interestingly this fix also automatically repaired the Memory Seat Feature that wasn't working anymore. No dealership would touch it and independent shops said only a steering column replacement could fix it. Now Lexy's as good as new! Thanks to the community for this super effective repair job.
Glad it's fixed! My '99" "Cloud9" tilt was fine but my telescoping quit. So I took apart the column casing, set up the tilt the way I liked, and pulled the harness plug directly under the column in effect disabling both features. For me it worked without any programming involvement. Eventually I will take apart the telescoping motor and attempt repair.
Old 09-01-18, 07:19 PM
PublicSnar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
+1 on the 98 - 2000 not having an easy fix. Both motors are out on mine and I can't bring myself to spend stupid money on the motors. It is a pain in the butt but you can adjust it manually with a pair of needle-nose vice grips. If I remember correctly, the Toyota Landcruzer has the same part but different part numbers and are cheaper then the Lexus part. Not 100% on this but I think they will interchange.

How can one adjust it manually? I noticed my 99 doesn't have a motor...unless they changed it so much. But alas it doesn't work. No noise either

Quick Reply: Power tilt-away repair.. "How to" tutorial