LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1st gen strut rod bushing replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 10:51 AM
Reach_01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen strut rod bushing replacement help

I've been searching for quite a while now and it seems that no one has given a definite answer for replacing the strut rod bushings on a 1st gen ls400. All of the links I've seen in other threads that have a tutorial involving this are either broken or not hosted anymore.

When replacing the strut rod bushings on a ucf1x(completly different design from a ucf2x) is it a simple bolt in design? I have the bushings sitting here right next to me. My only worry is if the strut bar would need to be completly taken off of the knuckle and bushing pressed off and on. Can you simply unbolt the large nut on the end of the strut rod, the 3 12mm nuts from the old bushing and slide it off? My cars been an Illinois car it's whole life so Im worried if the old bushing will be siezed to the strut rod itself. any help is appreciated, thanks!

generic photo of bushing
Old 04-25-13, 11:53 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

the picture you posted is upper strut mount 48755. the strut rod is 48780A in the picture below.

which part or bushing are you replacing?
Old 04-25-13, 12:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
the picture you posted is upper strut mount 48755. the strut rod is 48780A in the picture below.

which part or bushing are you replacing?
actually he posted the right item, that's a '89-94 strut rod bushing.

What you've posted is a '95-00 front suspension, the strut rod looks completely differrent.
Old 04-26-13, 10:15 AM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Reach_01
... Can you simply unbolt the large nut on the end of the strut rod, the 3 12mm nuts from the old bushing and slide it off?...
Yes, it is that easy. Also, there is really nothing hard about the whole job. The nut that goes over the end of the strut rod is fairly big, so have the right sized socket for that.

I believe the manual calls for loosening the two bolts that hold the other end of the strut rod. This seems to be just so that everything is centered with no pre-load before things are tightened down. I expect that if it seems centered enough there is no need to do that step.

One tip on finishing the job right: Before torquing down the single big nut, point the wheels straight ahead and lower the car to the ground (supported only by the wheels). If you torque the nut while it is jacked up, as soon as it is dropped to the ground, you'll have a twist in that rubber bushing, which may affect wear and handling slightly.
Old 04-26-13, 11:31 AM
Reach_01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and took care of them last night, was extremly easy and took probably 15 minutes all together. I had to heat up the large 27mm nut on the strut rod due to the corrosion and what not but after that it was very easy. Right after replacing them I went and did an alignment on the car, drives perfectly straight now.

Symptoms I had from these bushings being bad was the car was wandering while driving down the road. Everytime the brakes were applied you would hear a clunk from the front end followed by a vibration which felt like warped rotors. The odd thing is that it felt like the vibration was coming from the rear end, which is why I had replaced all of the rear bushings with the ADUS bushings from ebay.

thanks everyone for the help!