LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I should've known better..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 06:45 AM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I should've known better...FIXED!!!

So Saturday I decided to detail the engine bay...It came out great! But....after going to the "5 car.." meet at Ultimate Audio Sat night , the engine started missing.. First thought that came to mind was water in the spark plug tubes...pulled one of the plug wire out and damn at the water stuck a rolled up paper towel down the tube to soak up any excess water. Pulled the next wire and pulled the wire right out the boot and terminal...by this point I'm pretty irritated and didn't bother going any further lol considering the meet was in the morning and now my LS sounds like a steam engine choo choo!!! So finally got my plugs, wires, caps, rotors and valve cover gasket set. Looks like I'm gonna have some fun when I get off today

Last edited by Rasimmo; 04-19-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 07:26 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I can't tell you how many cars I've detailed and cleaned engines this way... and never had a problem... until I did my Mom's 95 LS400... then had the same problem as yours... with 130K on it had never changed the plugs or wires and figured it was time...I found water in only one plug socket... passenger side, back of engine... even with the rubber grommets over the plugs, water still got in there and messed things up. It was running rough. My dad had taken it to Pratt Brothers over in Ft Worth and they told him not to ever detail the engine like that... never heard of that. Anyways, you're current approach will fix the problem... just sorry it happened and not sure why it does with these engines... have fun today...
Old 04-16-13, 07:55 AM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Legender
I can't tell you how many cars I've detailed and cleaned engines this way... and never had a problem... until I did my Mom's 95 LS400... then had the same problem as yours... with 130K on it had never changed the plugs or wires and figured it was time...I found water in only one plug socket... passenger side, back of engine... even with the rubber grommets over the plugs, water still got in there and messed things up. It was running rough. My dad had taken it to Pratt Brothers over in Ft Worth and they told him not to ever detail the engine like that... never heard of that. Anyways, you're current approach will fix the problem... just sorry it happened and not sure why it does with these engines... have fun today...
lol Thanks, well now that its clean...hopefully i can keep it that way without going through this again I had a Miata that did the same back in the day so i kinda expected this haha
Old 04-16-13, 08:00 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny how when i was a tech at toyota we would always clean engine like this, spray 9 and hose it down. However, when I did the same to my 90 LS after i replaced the valve cover gaskets it got water into the sparkplug tubes and was doing the exact thing your car was doing. Same thing happened for my dad's 98 tacoma I learned and will not do that ever again haha.
Old 04-16-13, 08:07 AM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by akitomk3
It's funny how when i was a tech at toyota we would always clean engine like this, spray 9 and hose it down. However, when I did the same to my 90 LS after i replaced the valve cover gaskets it got water into the sparkplug tubes and was doing the exact thing your car was doing. Same thing happened for my dad's 98 tacoma I learned and will not do that ever again haha.
I should've just stuffed the tubes with paper towels Its worked in the past...but i was lazy and didn't feel like taking all the molding off the engine...now i have to!
Old 04-16-13, 08:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol pop the hood and let it bake in the sun for a few hours and dry the moisture up.

You're supposed to foil/plastic bag the sensitive electrical stuff.
Old 04-16-13, 09:14 AM
Rasimmo
Rookie

I wish it was that easy lol
Old 04-16-13, 09:15 AM
Rasimmo
Rookie

It's a good reason to do a tune up anyways...
Old 04-16-13, 10:21 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Next time leave it running... Start it cold and then hit it with the pressure washer, but quick passes only... What I do, degrease, loosely brush all the **** off and then hit it with the pressure washer top to bottom, side to side as to make sure all degreaser is removed so it doesn't sit on rubber tubes and bakes on them with time.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
lol pop the hood and let it bake in the sun for a few hours and dry the moisture up.

You're supposed to foil/plastic bag the sensitive electrical stuff.
This, too. I never do it though...
Old 04-16-13, 10:41 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I know I'll still do it... because it makes it look factory fresh...
I use simple green, sprayed all over the engine compartment... let it sit for a bit...
Then use the power washer, or even a regular hose if not too bad and rinse it all off.
You can repeat this if necessary...
Then drive it home to dry it off some... then cover the whole compartment with Armor All...just mist it on..
don't wipe it off... just close it up and let it dry... comes out looking brand new.
I'll just have to be careful with the wires and electrics....
Old 04-16-13, 11:26 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i'm always weary on using a high press washer in the engine bay for this reason. they do get the crud off better but risk getting water in places where it shouldn't.

simple green, normal running pressure, and scrub brush is what i use of course after covering the vitals like the alternator (had one short out before in my honda). also never wash a HOT engine! the sudden temp change can cause havoc on brittle parts.
Old 04-16-13, 11:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I spray the stuff in discreet places and wipe it off with a rag. Too many places water will pool up and sit. When mixed with oil and grease, it is a sure recipe that it will forever be a gooey mess there, namely the intake valley area.

I use a squirt bottle and spray off the areas that I know will drain. A hose isn't coming close to the engine bay with all the hard-cracking rubber fittings in there. Might be fine for an engine `5 years newish but north of 10 years
Old 04-16-13, 12:05 PM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Next time leave it running... Start it cold and then hit it with the pressure washer, but quick passes only... What I do, degrease, loosely brush all the **** off and then hit it with the pressure washer top to bottom, side to side as to make sure all degreaser is removed so it doesn't sit on rubber tubes and bakes on them with time.

This, too. I never do it though...
Yea, I do that everytime.. although I noticed when I took the spark plug cover off that the one boot was halfway off lol

Originally Posted by Legender
I know I'll still do it... because it makes it look factory fresh...
I use simple green, sprayed all over the engine compartment... let it sit for a bit...
Then use the power washer, or even a regular hose if not too bad and rinse it all off.
You can repeat this if necessary...
Then drive it home to dry it off some... then cover the whole compartment with Armor All...just mist it on..
don't wipe it off... just close it up and let it dry... comes out looking brand new.
I'll just have to be careful with the wires and electrics....
I used B52 degreaser and hit the bay with WD40 Always turns out mint!
Old 04-16-13, 12:25 PM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man.
This is why I usually only spot clean with a bucket, spray bottle and a few towels.
Old 04-17-13, 12:30 AM
Hodson
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have a hell of a fun time changing that cap and rotor, best go to lexls.com for the tutorial!

Quick Reply: I should've known better..