LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY: No Horn? QR Set Up for Horn Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 01:15 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY: No Horn? QR Set Up for Horn Relocation

Long story short... I have a quick release set up with no horn on my NRG steering wheel. People don't seem know how to drive here in California so the horn is needed. Here's the answer for that problem. Items NEEDED:
-Spring Loaded button
-Wire strippers/teeth
-Female connectors
-Phillips screw driver
-Hand drill
-Drill bits
-a bit of wire
-a bit of patience
-& a bit of beer

First step is to go to your local electronics store and getting a SPRING LOADED type of button, I chose this square one from a local Radio Shack...

Second step is removing the steering column cover, if you have replaced you steering wheel then you would know there is no need for a step by step for this. 3 screws and its off. Then you must locate this harness that connects to the top of the back of the OEM steering wheel. Then stick a wire in this corner slot of the harness connector and test the horn to make sure it is the correct one by tapping the other end of the wire to some ground (metal around steering shift, on steering column now exposed, ANYTHING metal in there) and it should honk.

Third step is to find where you would like to mount your new horn button at... I chose right by the steering column controls. Then drive a pilot bit to center the hole.

My switch needed some sort of extension because some plastic/ part of the steering column mount was right behind the steering control panel which didn't allow the switch to sit flushly, but still didn't mind it sticking out a bit because it makes my horn that much more accessible behind the turn signal stick. So I used a bit of plastic tubing off some sort of shower/plumbing fixture I had laying around.

This is what I meant by no space behind the the small panel where the switch will be mounted...

Fourth step is that now that you have located your mounting point for the switch, is to continuing the horn circuit by connecting another piece of wire to some sort of ground, I simply wrapped it between an OEM screw & washer which will never disconnect unless I unscrew later...

The two ends will have to now be spliced with female connectors to attach to the switch.

Now plastic "extension" painted and mounted...

Then decided to CF wrap the plastic part because the black looked kinda weird, plus the CF matches the actual TRD CF horn button I have on my wood NRG steering wheel.

Looks kinda like a NOS or a self destruct button if you ask me, and it sits exactly behind the turn signal stick so I never see it unless looking from above or the side. All in all, it looks decent, it is easily accessible to honk at these people on the road, and most of all IT WORKS AGAIN. Hope some of you find this usefull! Cheers and happy honking!!!
Old 04-10-13, 02:50 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post. I'll be hooking mine up tomorrow night when my extension comes in. I'll just use the horn button on the grant wheel though (no Q/R).
Old 04-10-13, 03:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

uhh that's a long and painful way of doing it.

Most quick releases, including NRG, have contacts built into the QR for you to use. Good quality hubs willl have one or two wires as well, one hot trigger and a center ground.
Old 04-10-13, 07:12 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

i did this exact thing in my accord since my hub did not come with a metal ring for a ground. i am sure your NRG hub has this metal ring so you should be able to do this instead so the horn works with the actual horn button on the center of the wheel.

http://www.preludeonline.com/f28/how...wheels-206210/

i did that on my ex-gf's car which ran an NRG hub and QR and it works great!

sidenote: on my accord i also put a resistor on that same wiring harness where the horn is so the SRS system thinks the airbag is there thus eliminating the dash light (and enables the pass side bag again). as for the resistance value, i forget but probably around 10 ohms. do NOT go and measure your airbag for the resistance. it may pop!

good work regardless!!!