LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

BC Coilover install this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 02:22 PM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BC Coilover install this weekend

I'm gonna be installing my coilovers this weekend on my 93' LS Anyone have any extra words of advice that I might need to know? I will be upgrading(poly) the trailing arm bushings as well...
Old 04-03-13, 02:55 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fronts are pretty straight forward. The rears are not too bad either.

Rears - Unbolt stock strut top and bottom. Then jack up the control arm, and twist the strut assembly to help get it out. You need to jack up the control arm to get the right angle so the strut will come out. The coils will go in a little easier (shorter).

Be prepared to take adjust them multiple times. I'm not sure how the BC's are, but my megans were way too low in the front and super high in the rear (out of the box).

I think I read that you are going to the V2Lab event? I'll be there with my LS. Will you have yours done by then?
Old 04-03-13, 03:50 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

did you get the extreme drop kit or the regular? regular out of the box you will get a 1.5-2" drop from what i've experienced. you can go higher or lower if you wish.

for the front i found it easier to disconnect the upper ball joint to remove the original suspension. i heard there is a way to do it w/o disconnecting but i couldn't figure it out. since the coilovers are shorter, they are much easier to install.
Old 04-03-13, 04:59 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
did you get the extreme drop kit or the regular? regular out of the box you will get a 1.5-2" drop from what i've experienced. you can go higher or lower if you wish.

for the front i found it easier to disconnect the upper ball joint to remove the original suspension. i heard there is a way to do it w/o disconnecting but i couldn't figure it out. since the coilovers are shorter, they are much easier to install.
I only had to unbolt the swaybar and then they pretty much came right out. I wonder why yours wouldnt come out with keeping the ball joint bolted up?
Old 04-03-13, 07:22 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

yeah i didn't unbolt the sway bar. doh!
Old 04-03-13, 08:28 PM
Rasimmo
Rookie

I'm gonna try to make it there, if not..I'll definitely be at the bbq meet on the 28th, I won't have wheels by then buy I'm assuming it will look decent on the oem's for now lol..

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-03-13, 08:31 PM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by timmy0tool

I got the BR's

Old 04-03-13, 08:36 PM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Is there any aftermarket control arms for the ucf10? I've only seen 95' n up....

Old 04-04-13, 01:23 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure I'll be at the bbq also.

I'm just running some cheapo used wheels off craigslist. lol, very weak offset, but they look better than stock.

As far as control arms go.... They don't make much for the first gen. I havn't seen anything.
Old 04-04-13, 02:25 PM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Originally Posted by usoff89
I'm pretty sure I'll be at the bbq also.

I'm just running some cheapo used wheels off craigslist. lol, very weak offset, but they look better than stock.

As far as control arms go.... They don't make much for the first gen. I havn't seen anything.
I wonder if the one for the 95' & up can be modified to fit lol

Like these... http://www.meganracing.com/product.a...=1371&catid=25

I'm sure if it was possible someone would have done it already.....
Old 04-04-13, 02:50 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I had thought about getting a set to experiment with. I just decided to go with bags, ride at a decent ride height so I don't have any camber wear. Then just slam it when I park it.
Old 04-04-13, 03:17 PM
Rasimmo
Rookie

Yea airbags would be nice...lol

Old 04-04-13, 04:55 PM
jayntee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i found it easier to remove the shock when you turn the wheel to the opposite side you're working on after you unbolt the lower part. (removing driver side, you would turn the wheel to the right)

i just followed the tutorial from lexusls.

also when i was doing mine, i installed the coilover right after i had removed it, and before taking off the other side. Don't do this, haha. Remove both sides, then install the BCs.
Old 04-04-13, 06:42 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you guys are having problems with the spindle/carrier being too high and not letting the shock body drop down, unbolt a sway bar endlink, it will let the entire spindle/control arm assy. drop down as much as you want. Be sure to support it though, as it may strain the brake line and tie rod ends.
Old 04-04-13, 06:58 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if you guys are having problems with the spindle/carrier being too high and not letting the shock body drop down, unbolt a sway bar endlink, it will let the entire spindle/control arm assy. drop down as much as you want. Be sure to support it though, as it may strain the brake line and tie rod ends.
That is how I did it, and it worked great. Gave me plenty of clearance.

Quick Reply: BC Coilover install this weekend